What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 vs. Cowboys Discussion + Voting

Dazzat

First Grade
I thought JT was good in patches. He got them about 5 repeat sets, but he can't do it all on his own.

That positional play stuff can be taught to Oates... I just think he's what we need at the back. Big, hard running, young player with plenty of ticker who has a bit of speed. He can train speed and positional play in the off season. He's shown more in 1 game on the wing than Maranta has shown in about 20.

Oates may make a decent centre, but wing isn't his spot. He got caught out in the "almost penalty try" ... he was very slow to turn and chase, and it was only because he fell over and accidentally knocked over the Cowboys winger that the try wasn't scored.

Wingers need to be able to change direction quickly, and he's just too big to do that. But love his enthusiasm and attitude. Great prospect.

AceAv

Juniors
Yep can believe we got out of jail on that Oates trip. Jt was not on song. A lot of errors in the cows game which is their main Achilles this year.

I'm really excited about Oates. He may develop into a great centre or winger that can slot into second row..

Thaiday really does need to lose some weight and read the plays better. I'm sick of seeing him walk up to the player being tackled. Plow your body into them Sam... Cost us a try in Origin and tonight also...

Chainshada

Juniors
Saw the start of the 2nd half on replay this morning, 5mins into the second half, 15-20m out..Could see Hunt on the right of the screen organizing the attack to the right, calls to Wallace..and Wallace passes to a forward on the left for a hitup. The camera zooms out and you can see Hunt with his hands up, shaking his head.

Bretto

Bench
Saw the start of the 2nd half on replay this morning, 5mins into the second half, 15-20m out..Could see Hunt on the right of the screen organizing the attack to the right, calls to Wallace..and Wallace passes to a forward on the left for a hitup. The camera zooms out and you can see Hunt with his hands up, shaking his head.

Just watched that replay... The whole attacking structure was layed out to the right. Wallace went left where it was about 3 on 5 and threw a hospital pass to someone at their knees. That play alone stuffed that whole set of 6 as the attacking structure was all out of whack after that play.

BTW, guys, I'm trying to sign up to the Broncos HQ website, but it tells me I'm a spammer or something? I emailed the admin, but no reply at all... Any ideas?

Country Bronco

Juniors
Have to eat a bit of humble pie here. Oates was excellent on the wing! But more importantly I think he always managed to poke his head through and rarely got put on his back. Really good prospect.

The Hoffman and fullback in defence and Hodges at fullback in attack worked quite well I think. I still think Hoffman's positional play is not great for a fullback. I think wing is his best position so I do hope we sign Barba.

I think the Cowboys were probably the better team for longer periods in that game. It was Hodges that got us over the line, really our own true game breaker.

3. Hodges
2. Oates
1. Parker

Great post GTB. It was like hearing myself talk. But it wasn't. We've all ate humble pie from time to time. Just got to gulp it down quickly. At least you were man enough to admit a error of judgement.

Ph1l

Juniors
OMG. A long range try and a backline move that looked slick. Dare I hope for more to come.
That defensive problem between Thaiday and Prince will need to be fixed quick.

Chainshada

Juniors
OMG. A long range try and a backline move that looked slick. Dare I hope for more to come.
That defensive problem between Thaiday and Prince will need to be fixed quick.

Well that problem is easily fixed..dump Prince and don't make Thaiday play the full 80.

AceAv

Juniors
Yup. Hannant/reed was sorely missed here.. Forced our prop rotation into Thaiday playing the 80, where we need maybe someone like Glenn to come in for Thaiday for 25 mins or so. Hard call dropping glenn, but I would preffer Gillet on the field more

Nerd

Bench
Hunt the best player on the field not likely. What did he do that was so great.
I thought Hunt in 1 game played better than Wallace has all year. His efforts in the first try weren't bad... A try we would never have scored with Wallace at halfback!

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Oates at winger is a bit of a stretch... I'm hope I'm wrong but I don't see it going down well. He could barely imitate a centre let alone winger.

Classic... exactly what he had to do to get that try. I knew nothing about the guy but the kid looks like a goer.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Great to see the boys get this one. Has been hard going watching them go down the last couple of weeks and got tired of coming on here and bagging the guys off or looking for a scapegoat. And I know BP, just when you've lost all faith in him Hodges turns on an inspirational match. Hoffman great too - must be one of our most consistent players week in week out. Oats looks like he's got potential.

Grateful for the win but the Cowboys coughed up a lot of ball back to us, a few times on their first and in prime position but we looked like we wanted to be out there and defended our line well.

3 - Hodges
2 - Hoffman
1 - Parker

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Classic... exactly what he had to do to get that try. I knew nothing about the guy but the kid looks like a goer.

Haha... yeah I obviously got that one wrong. Who would have thought an under 20s backrower could play NRL wing so well?! Always glad to be proven wrong if it makes the Broncs a better team!

Leagueaddict

Juniors
You're right mate. We're all experts here of foot and mouth disease but yeah who would have thought. But good to see some new blood with potential coming thru the ranks. At this point we should be giving as many a shot as reasonably as possible.