What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 | Knights vs Bulldogs @ Hunter | Sat 5.30pm

Round 22 result :: Knights vs Bulldogs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whats Doing

Bench
That's bullshit. Compare the established teams and structures they were playing in to what Roberts has had to work with.

You have a very short memory.

When Roberts came into the Knights team the the knights were 2 from 5. The Titans on the hand were playing like bustards and were 1 from 5 and the Rabbits were the same as the knights with 2 from 5. Also Souths had new structures to get use to but you have conveniently overlooked.

Don't let facts get in your way.

Anyway hope Roberts does establish himself but needs to involve himself more than he does at present.

Whats Doing

Bench
That's total bs they are all on strong teams with good/great forward packs, its really sad that you & a couple of others are continually deathriding the kid just because he doesnt perform like johns.

Not death riding him at all and never once mentioned Johns as you have to suit your argument. I am just comparing him to other first year halfbacks over the last couple of years and he has not matched that standard.

Halfback is the key position in the team and hope he makes the grade as we will need another option other than Gidley for next year.

Burwood

Bench
I'm still undecided on Roberts as our long term halfback. But I do know that I prefer him in the #7 compared to Gidley and Stig (who showed absolutely nothing last year after his first 3 games). And I am happy that, even though Bennett's hand was forced by injury, he has stuck with Roberts all season and allowed him to develop a partnership with Mullen.

As for the two Reynolds boys only looking good because they are playing behind great packs, I think it also has to be asked how much they are contributing to that. Both Souths and the Bulldogs had very similar packs to last year. Yet both teams are performing head and shoulders above their old form. It isn't the only factor, but their own personal form must be a good contributor to how their forwards are playing. Put Roberts into either of those sides and, although they'd be top 8, I don't think that they would still be sitting 1 and 2 on the table.

KempoKnight

Juniors
People seem to forget its not just Roberts who is new to the side. We have Boyd, Tahu, Roberts, Bedsy, Kade, Mason, Cuthbo, Mckinnon, Rochow and god knows who else playing together for the first time. Its alot harder to come into a side who are still getting to know how each other plays then it is to come into a side where everyone knows what the other players around them can do. DCE/Reynolds/Sezer came into sides where the majority of that playing group had played with each other for a few or alot of seasons where as Roberts has come into a side with 9/17 having never played together
(barring Origin/Aus for tahu/bedsy/mason) Its alot harder to be the general and take control in a side where the majority are playing together for the first season.

Burwood firstly The Bulldogs success is primarily from second phase creation up the middle via a very skilled forward pack. They demand so much attention in the middle that Barba and Reynolds just follow them to the line , shift the ball or run it based on the room given. Notice how their offloads slowed once Graham went off. He is their main man. Reynolds is good enough to take advantage of it cos his class is there for all to see. What I am saying is put him in our team i doubt he would going as well.

Roberts won;t be our half next year. Bennett will show the same loyalty to Gidley that he showed to McManus.
Roberts only hope is if he hangs around and Gidley moves to Hooker when Buderus retires.
I'd agree that Roberts has the potential to be a much better half than Gidley but Gidley will bring more to the team in the odd type of position he will play in wearing the 7 jumper.

Whats Doing

Bench
Roberts won;t be our half next year. Bennett will show the same loyalty to Gidley that he showed to McManus.
Roberts only hope is if he hangs around and Gidley moves to Hooker when Buderus retires.
I'd agree that Roberts has the potential to be a much better half than Gidley but Gidley will bring more to the team in the odd type of position he will play in wearing the 7 jumper.

Roberts has a long way to go to make first grade which a couple of us were pointing out quite early on.

Tonight just emphasised the major flaws in his game which we cannot continue to have next year in the key position of the team.

Roberts has a long way to go to make first grade which a couple of us were pointing out quite early on.

Tonight just emphasised the major flaws in his game which we cannot continue to have next year in the key position of the team.

Moot!
Roberts could play a blinder and he still won't be picked ahead of Gidley.

What will need to be accepted is that Gidley will never be a "traditional halfback" just the same as he was never a "traditional fullback". He needs a place in the team and wearing #7 is the most likely jumper.

Whats Doing

Bench
You are missing the point.

My comments were not about Gidley but were about Roberts. I was commenting that is nowhere near first grade standard and tonite was trash. We cannot have this standard of play in first grade in the key position of half whoever it is.

Latest posts