What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 v Knights

soc123_au

Staff member
Ivan also didn't think Burton was a 6 a few years ago due to his frame.

I'd have to go check Burton's weight at the time but Burton is 190cm tall. Talagi is 188cm tall. So when you add the 5-10kg that someone his age is going to do. Then you get very close to Burton in size.
I think it was more to do with Luai being ahead of him. Ivan played him at 6 when Luai was unavailable.

mxlegend99

Referee
Casey deserves to be the front runner for that spot right now. Dude will only be better after this experience and another off-season.

Talagi at 6 for mine. Cole on bench as halves and backs cover. Get him training to do some dummy half and he is the perfect utility that would actually get a run. Daine rotting on bench is a waste.

I hate to leave Daine out. Dude has been phenomenal for us. But with injury and Origin he will definitely get plenty of game time too.

Replacing Turuva is a bit tougher. Not because we dont have options… but because we have too many. Alamoti, J. McLean, Kepoa, C. McLean if he doesn’t get centre.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Casey deserves to be the front runner for that spot right now. Dude will only be better after this experience and another off-season.

Talagi at 6 for mine. Cole on bench as halves and backs cover. Get him training to do some dummy half and he is the perfect utility that would actually get a run. Daine rotting on bench is a waste.

I hate to leave Daine out. Dude has been phenomenal for us. But with injury and Origin he will definitely get plenty of game time too.

Replacing Turuva is a bit tougher. Not because we dont have options… but because we have too many. Alamoti, J. McLean, Kepoa, C. McLean if he doesn’t get centre.
Trent is the only 14 Ivan has been able to get into a game at all really. It's a real weakness in his coaching

soc123_au

Staff member
If all results go as predicted then the minor premiership will come down to F/A.

We are close to dead even. Only 5 points separate the two teams.
Probably go to the wire. A lot will depend on if Ivan rests everyone for the Titans game. It's shaping up as MP will get free ride to a Prelim with a light training run at home against the Sharts.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Probably go to the wire. A lot will depend on if Ivan rests everyone for the Titans game. It's shaping up as MP will get free ride to a Prelim with a light training run at home against the Sharts.
It's a 2 horse race. Easts whole team defend like our right edge. We shouldn't give a f**k who we play week 1

WestyLife

First Grade

He said in the press conference a lot of guys have been out for a while this season so he just wants to build some cohesion. I don't think he'll rest this year.

Munky

Coach
As far as the MP goes yesterday was a massive missed opportunity to boost the for and against.

That was a blow out for the taking but the team turned up pretty unenthusiastic.

Fangs

Coach

Likewise Melbourne who end the year with road trips to NQ and Brisbane. They need to manage those games carefully.

The F/A will fluctuate. Souths are next for Melbourne. That might be a 50 point game after their loss to the Dragons.

soc123_au

Staff member
Thats good, I want to see how Tago goes up against a decent center on Friday. Penisini or Talagi will do.
I was more thinking in attack, he has been better the last few weeks, but against makeshift centers. Gutho aint going to test him too much I wouldn't think.

Pomoz

Bench
He will be Critta size in 2 years and everyone will be saying WTF.

This young fella is as advanced at 18 as Fittler was.

And we all know how that turned out.

HE'S A GOOD ONE.
As somebody who saw Fittler play when he was 17 in NSW Cup and when he made his debut at 18, I can say that, in my view, McLean is not as advanced as Freddy. Freddy was playing for Australia and NSW at 18 years of age. He was marking future immortal Mal Meninga in the grand final at 18 years of age. He stood out as a player as soon as he started playing. He was exceptional.

McLean is a good player, but lets not saddle him with the "good as Freddy" tag just yet. Good start, keep it going.

soc123_au

Staff member
As somebody who saw Fittler play when he was 17 in NSW Cup and when he made his debut at 18, I can say that, in my view, McLean is not as advanced as Freddy. Freddy was playing for Australia and NSW at 18 years of age. He was marking future immortal Mal Meninga in the grand final at 18 years of age. He stood out as a player as soon as he started playing. He was exceptional.

McLean is a good player, but lets not saddle him with the "good as Freddy" tag just yet. Good start, keep it going.
Yeah, Freddy was a freak. I played against him a few times from 14's to 16's. My head imprint is probably still in the grass at Cambridge Park. Did pretty well to get close enough to be palmed and trampled really.