What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 v The Storm

Illusion

Bench
I still can;t believe we won..

aaaaaaaa.gif
X2 ........

Dragons4me

Juniors
What I find funny and is typical media
Right or wrong they are talking Ciraldo coach of the year for how he has lifted the Dogs off the bottom.. fair enough they have defended well and been pretty consistent all year but a bit premature to be calling it now

What happens if we beat them next week and dogs loose today? We are in front of them on the ladder
we were lower than them last year on the table
We have pretty much the same squad. The dogs did sign a lot of players to improve their squad
that tells me Fano has potentially done a better job if you comparing the two. Just my opinion
Yes. The adulation by journo's for the mangy dogs is premature. They have to get their free chicken snitzels and schooners somewhere!!

hewi

Bench
How good is this.

registered-breach-pixel

Monday Buzz: St George Illawarra Dragons are NRL’s ‘Reject Shop’ team surging for finals​

Almost half the Dragons team that beat the Storm on Saturday night were unwanted or axed by their previous club. Remarkably, Shane Flanagan has put this team of misfits and cast-offs into finals contention, writes PHIL ROTHFIELD.
Phil Rothfield Phil Rothfield

@BuzzRothfield

2 min read
August 4, 2024 - 6:00PM
News Sport Network
https://archive.md/Rm7p6/again?url=.../2893eff3a915d97ad5d4f9a1afd9ee06#share-tools
da634db50ad28fb25b9c2bfc3caceca6755272a7.jpg

NRL: St George illawarra Dragons have beaten the Melbourne Storm in Victoria for the first time in 25 years.
The St George Illawarra team that is surging towards a finals berth is like a rugby league reject shop.
Almost half the team that beat Melbourne Storm on Saturday night are discards who were either unwanted or axed by their previous clubs.
Raymond Faitala-Mariner and Kyle Flanagan got ditched by the Bulldogs and no one but Saints wanted them.
Jacob Liddle was even offloaded by the wooden spooners, the Wests Tigers.
Tom Eisenhuth was unwanted at Melbourne Storm and had to settle for a minimum-wage deal at Saints.
Winger Christian Tuipulotu got axed by Manly and the Roosters.
The Dragons celebrate their upset victory over Melbourne on Saturday. Picture: Josh Chadwick/Getty Images

The Dragons celebrate their upset victory over Melbourne on Saturday. Picture: Josh Chadwick/Getty Images
Moses Suli had been previously punted by Wests Tigers and the Bulldogs before he went to Manly and then the Dragons.
It’s a remarkable story of how coach Shane Flanagan has pulled together a team of misfits and cast-offs that were $3.50 equal favourites with Wests Tigers for the wooden spoon at the beginning of the season.
Then you throw in a couple of stars who asked for releases and didn’t even want to be there – Ben Hunt and Zac Lomax – and it’s even more amazing that they jumped into eighth spot on the premiership ladder after Saturday night’s win.
Who would have thought they could knock off the Storm for the first time in 25 years in Melbourne on Saturday night in one of the boilovers of the year.
A team with little glamour but plenty of grit and guts.
This is a club that couldn’t land the signature of a big-name player, outside of Damien Cook — another player unwanted at South Sydney.
Addin Fonua-Blake, not interested. The same with Blaize Talagi, thanks, but no thanks. Stefano Utoikamanu wouldn’t go there for $200k more than Storm offered. Plus winger Sunia Turuva and Connor Tracey, who chose to go elsewhere.
Kyle Flanagan takes photos with the travelling Dragons fans in Melbourne. Picture: Josh Chadwick/Getty Images

Kyle Flanagan takes photos with the travelling Dragons fans in Melbourne. Picture: Josh Chadwick/Getty Images
All these knock-backs is why most of the ‘rejects’ got their start in the Red V jersey.
Even the coach himself struggled to get a start before the opportunity came up at the Dragons.
Wests Tigers showed no interest when they sacked Michael Maguire.
Same with Phil Gould at Canterbury when he got rid of Trent Barrett.
Only Manly would give him a job as an assistant coach.
Before that he was doing TV and radio … and even wearing a hi-vis vest working on the tools for a signage company … just waiting for an opportunity like this one at the Dragons.
I asked Flanagan on Saturday night about coaching against the Bulldogs this week, the club where he couldn’t even get an interview.
“Let’s not go there,” he said. “It’s about players preparing for another big game, not me.”
Next Saturday these misfit Dragons meet the Bulldogs in a suburban ground blockbuster at Kogarah.
Such is the interest that it will be sold out in 24 hours.
Is Shane Flanagan cooking up a finals surge for his Dragons? Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

Is Shane Flanagan cooking up a finals surge for his Dragons? Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images
Two great old Sydney clubs that have fought their way back from the scrap heap.
Flanagan spoke on Saturday night in Melbourne of the new-found belief in his side.
That his players no longer carry the scars of being on the outer at their previous clubs.
Slowly but surely they have rebuilt their footy careers in recent months.
“Beating Storm is definitely a shot in the arm for our belief,” Flanagan said.
“The more we do it consistently in tough and difficult circumstances the better.
“We’ve learnt that we can beat any team in the competition if we get ourselves right.
“I have always had confidence in this playing group

Dragon David

First Grade
How good is this.

View attachment 92030

Monday Buzz: St George Illawarra Dragons are NRL’s ‘Reject Shop’ team surging for finals​

Almost half the Dragons team that beat the Storm on Saturday night were unwanted or axed by their previous club. Remarkably, Shane Flanagan has put this team of misfits and cast-offs into finals contention, writes PHIL ROTHFIELD.
Phil Rothfield Phil Rothfield
@BuzzRothfield

2 min read
August 4, 2024 - 6:00PM
News Sport Network
https://archive.md/Rm7p6/again?url=.../2893eff3a915d97ad5d4f9a1afd9ee06#share-tools
da634db50ad28fb25b9c2bfc3caceca6755272a7.jpg

NRL: St George illawarra Dragons have beaten the Melbourne Storm in Victoria for the first time in 25 years.
The St George Illawarra team that is surging towards a finals berth is like a rugby league reject shop.
Almost half the team that beat Melbourne Storm on Saturday night are discards who were either unwanted or axed by their previous clubs.
Raymond Faitala-Mariner and Kyle Flanagan got ditched by the Bulldogs and no one but Saints wanted them.
Jacob Liddle was even offloaded by the wooden spooners, the Wests Tigers.
Tom Eisenhuth was unwanted at Melbourne Storm and had to settle for a minimum-wage deal at Saints.
Winger Christian Tuipulotu got axed by Manly and the Roosters.

Moses Suli had been previously punted by Wests Tigers and the Bulldogs before he went to Manly and then the Dragons.
It’s a remarkable story of how coach Shane Flanagan has pulled together a team of misfits and cast-offs that were $3.50 equal favourites with Wests Tigers for the wooden spoon at the beginning of the season.
Then you throw in a couple of stars who asked for releases and didn’t even want to be there – Ben Hunt and Zac Lomax – and it’s even more amazing that they jumped into eighth spot on the premiership ladder after Saturday night’s win.
Who would have thought they could knock off the Storm for the first time in 25 years in Melbourne on Saturday night in one of the boilovers of the year.
A team with little glamour but plenty of grit and guts.
This is a club that couldn’t land the signature of a big-name player, outside of Damien Cook — another player unwanted at South Sydney.
Addin Fonua-Blake, not interested. The same with Blaize Talagi, thanks, but no thanks. Stefano Utoikamanu wouldn’t go there for $200k more than Storm offered. Plus winger Sunia Turuva and Connor Tracey, who chose to go elsewhere.

All these knock-backs is why most of the ‘rejects’ got their start in the Red V jersey.
Even the coach himself struggled to get a start before the opportunity came up at the Dragons.
Wests Tigers showed no interest when they sacked Michael Maguire.
Same with Phil Gould at Canterbury when he got rid of Trent Barrett.
Only Manly would give him a job as an assistant coach.
Before that he was doing TV and radio … and even wearing a hi-vis vest working on the tools for a signage company … just waiting for an opportunity like this one at the Dragons.
I asked Flanagan on Saturday night about coaching against the Bulldogs this week, the club where he couldn’t even get an interview.
“Let’s not go there,” he said. “It’s about players preparing for another big game, not me.”
Next Saturday these misfit Dragons meet the Bulldogs in a suburban ground blockbuster at Kogarah.
Such is the interest that it will be sold out in 24 hours.

Two great old Sydney clubs that have fought their way back from the scrap heap.
Flanagan spoke on Saturday night in Melbourne of the new-found belief in his side.
That his players no longer carry the scars of being on the outer at their previous clubs.
“The more we do it consistently in tough and difficult circumstances the better.
“We’ve learnt that we can beat any team in the competition if we get ourselves right.
Love it!!

Gareth67

First Grade
I see that old ‘ have - a - whine ‘ Bellamy was most gracious in defeat , blaming the loss entirely upon the errors and mistakes that his charges made and not the grand efforts of the Dragons .

Give credit where credit is due Craig , quite simply your mob of cheats and thugs were beaten by a better side on the night - and in your own backyard ! 😳

How good is this.
View attachment 92030

Hewi,
A big THANKS for posting this.
I had not seen it.

As a hopelessly rusted on Dragons supporter - like the rest of us here - THAT was one BEAUTIFUL read.
I used to like Andfrew Webster's writing - the journalist, not the Coach.
Maybe I will have to switch to Buzz:D

I seem to remember early in the season - can't remember if it was after a win or a loss - at the post game presser Flanno said something like (paraphrased):
" There's a good team in there..(the change room)
I know it, but some of them don't know it, yet.."

If that the gist of what he actually said?
Can someone source that?
(I'm too lazy)

To use the vernacular:
You'll do me Shane Flanagan.
Done good.
Coached strong.

VodkaSaint

Juniors
Almost half of the Dragons team that beat Melbourne Storm on Saturday night are discards who were either unwanted or axed by their previous clubs, writes Phil Rothfield.

Now they're in the race for finals footy.

BUZZ ▶️ bit.ly/3yfZ0lHIMG_3188.jpeg

Latest posts