What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 v Melbourne

Girds89

Bench
I think we will run out as named.

The club once again has been very coy on tagos injury.

I assume its probably worse then they are letting on.

Wouldn't be suprised to see them play it safe and leave him out this week.

Never a fan of picking a 2md rower at centre tho.

Would much rather a genuine choice there even it it was a rookie like jenkins..

Sime_11

Juniors
we beat Melbourne quite easily last time round even with the Refs calls favouring Storm in 1st half. there's not too much to be learned if we win again Friday night.

Hosking will be an inspiring choice - the man loves to work and is good defensively.

a loss isnt a bad thing for us - its accountability and a bit of extra drive when its needed in September :)

Hooked

Juniors
a loss isnt a bad thing for us - its accountability and a bit of extra drive when its needed in September :)

f**k losing I hate the Storm. I don't want them getting a bit of momentum either. Plus I want to keep the charge on for top 2.

Last edited:

chrisD

Coach
I’d back Garner to cover centre better than Hosking, think he’s got better lateral movement is faster and has better ball skills, but it’s a hard comparison to make. I feel like it’s a pecking order choice rather than strict suitability.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I've said it before but it would be nice to see Jenkins in a full side. Only gets to play the origin games which doesn't tell us much

Fangs

Coach
Tago plays I think.

But no Reimis Smith or Justin Olam so we could probably afford a guy like Hosking at centre. And even if Olam played he has been terrible in recent games.

Was a bit of an ambush last time. I thought the Storm had a good plan our more inexperienced guys like Kenny and Cogger. But they couldn't do the full 80. Its a stronger team this time with Cleary back and we will be better prepared playing at home.

Kilkenny

Coach
I’d back Garner to cover centre better than Hosking, think he’s got better lateral movement is faster and has better ball skills, but it’s a hard comparison to make. I feel like it’s a pecking order choice rather than strict suitability.
I agree. At least Garner has some experience playing the position.

Kilkenny

Coach
I've said it before but it would be nice to see Jenkins in a full side. Only gets to play the origin games which doesn't tell us much
I don’t disagree, but he can only be played on the wing where he been used exclusively in NSW Cup. Turuva would have to be used in the centres where he was used last year in NSW Cup but obviously this season has played every game in the top grade in the wing. I don’t understand the secrecy around Tago’s supposed leg injury. It just seems odd we havent been transparent about the nature or extent of the injury.

MugaB

Coach
I agree. At least Garner has some experience playing the position.
In a wooden spoon team... not sure that counts as good experience, its JUST experience...

He couldn't even defend well in at 2nd row at the beginning of the year, do you really think he could cover an important defensive position like centre, fmd... I'd be putting hosking out there any day of the week ...the guy just knows how to defend above all else

Girds89

Bench
Was at the game in Melbourne a month ago.

For me i think its extremley important to go at their big mean in attack non stop.

You have to tire big nelson amd tui out early

Get them doing a mountain pf work tackling. It significantly reduces their impact.

They are also much slower getting to marker and back in the line when fatigued so brings penalties into play.

Melbourne like to play the power game with thier huge pack. I think to beat them you use that against them.

They are in much better for over the last month. Very dangerous game imo

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
Was at the game in Melbourne a month ago.

For me i think its extremley important to go at their big mean in attack non stop.

You have to tire big nelson amd tui out early

Get them doing a mountain pf work tackling. It significantly reduces their impact.

They are also much slower getting to marker and back in the line when fatigued so brings penalties into play.

Melbourne like to play the power game with thier huge pack. I think to beat them you use that against them.

They are in much better for over the last month. Very dangerous game imo

Much better form? Newcastle pumped them, they beat the useless Roosters like everyone else does, and they played Parra who are not even close to a top 8 team... Their last game prior to these 3 was us, where we pumped them..

They come out the gates quick as we saw with us and Newcastle, but cannot hang on when the whips crack...

Girds89

Bench
Much better form? Newcastle pumped them, they beat the useless Roosters like everyone else does, and they played Parra who are not even close to a top 8 team... Their last game prior to these 3 was us, where we pumped them..

They come out the gates quick as we saw with us and Newcastle, but cannot hang on when the whips crack...

They are getting back to their best.. post origin which affects them a bit too.

They are an extremely dangerous side.

I think this will be much closer than a month ago.

That game against Newcastle was putrid. Didn’t see the game against the Eels though, which by all accounts was very good.

I like our chances against anyone in the comp at this stage. Particularly if Cleary kicks like he did last week. The early kick behind the wingers is such a great play for this team.

snickers007

Juniors
Xavier Coates failed to finish training today (hip injury), and Jahrome Hughes sat it out due to sickness.
Nelson Asofa-Solomona good to go.

I'd be rolling the dice with Jenkins this round. We're never gonna get another chance at a Storm backline like this one, and it will be good to see what he's got when surrounded by the A-team.

Latest posts