What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 vs. Bulldogs Discussion + Voting

AceAv

Juniors
I agree Hell. His line defence and 1on1 tackles have deteriorated. Norman @ fullback was a joke, Gillete is just like Dave Taylor and is more rocks than diamonds at the moment.

Overall I was proud of the effort & enthusiasm we saw. But they need that for the full 80 not 30 mins to start and then some patches in 2d half. -Also was appalled by the refs call in the 73d minute to not penalise the dogs right in front for pushing the marker. 16-16 would have at least given us a fighting finish. Prolly woulda still lost tho ;(

For the first time I'm starting to really become disappointed in our coach. His ego is really f**king up decisions that would be for the greater good. (Hoffman, Gaigai, Wallace, Norman) I am sure he is getting the right advice about them but is ignoring it.

I was not hopeful at 14-0 and knew we needed 20 to feel safe, Dogs did all they could to let us win that and Barba was what saved them. He is just too good, scores nearly 4 tries -what Bronco do we have that can come close to that!? We actually need to sit down and make a big buy at the end of this season. Preferably a solid 6 and fire Wallace then Hunt to 7. I knew this year would be a year of testing the halves and it seemed the choice was pretty good at the start. But is now turning into what I feared, where we would just be rotating & blindly stabbing in the dark for a good line-up.

In the end I agree that Gaigai was the right man for the job. He would accel in any role from 1-7, -Griffin: You made a stupid mistake. I don't care if he was indisciplined any-more, the choice to 'fire' him was an over-reaction and a foot-shooting blow.

Last edited:

IBA

Juniors
Once again, Wallace loses the game for us. missed two tackles for tries and gave away at least two penalties. Even the staunchest pro Wallace supporter can surely not argue against him being dropped this time.

I've lost a lot of faith in Wallace lately, but there is no way you can pin that one on him... The Jackson try, halfback on a second rower 5 meters out, where is the defensive line? The Barba one was a missed tackle but that kid is a freak.

If fingers are getting pointed at anyone after that game, surely it is Gillett.

I'd be happy to see the same team line up again. Except lose Lui and bring in one of the younger guys.

Last edited:

Band On The Run

Juniors
Disappointing game but today's performance does give me some hope that we can get out of this slump, let's all hope we can beat the cheats on Friday Night. Go the Broncos!

diddi kong

Juniors
Wallace has gotta go, not just the two missed tackles that let in tries but the penalties and his ball playing and most particularly his last tackle options. I dont know about the Norman bashing today, sure the barba try wasn't pretty but it was a rough bounce and you get the feeling that even if billy that was there it just would've bounced for barba, overall Norman supported well today and i thought was good.
Hunt is showing more than Wallace no question, I think this year we should just cut our losses and drop Wallace, tell him to find another club, put Norman back to 6, see if they work together or go buy a half and team Hunt with him, we won't win a comp otherwise and sticking to it would just be protecting our egos about our finals record, but would just hamper our chances next year.

At the time I thought it was a dumb choice to let Te'o leave and the more i see the more that opinion is confirmed. I'm gonna put my cards on the table and say that Parker is overrated and at times detrimental to the side. We probably could have resigned Teo for half and turned one of thaiday/glenn into the lock.

3. Petero
2. Teo
1. Thaiday
Would have been good to have Glenn out there

Last edited:

00digger00

Juniors
There was more improvement this week, and yes after watching the first 20 minutes I thought we had it in the bag....... Never mind. There were parts of that game we can build on and pasts that we can fix.
T'eo 3
Hannant 2
Thaiday 1

Pierced Soul

First Grade
the effort was there this week which has been missing for the past month. came out and tipped in, unfortunately couldnt keep it going and when it got to the grind we looked lost.

attack is dreadful but it's been that way for a while. cant blame norman for that barba try, the ball took a wicked bounce. i know barba also escaped wallace but barba's up the top for tackle busts and linebreaks for a reason.

teh reality is once the dogs switched on we just couldnt go with them, no points since what the 14th minute or so?

and gillett still looks tired to me, making some poor reads in defence and trying too hard

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Wallace has surely had enough chances by now. It's time for Hook to put the hard word on him - shape up or pack your bags for Parramatta. That tackle attempt on Barba was woeful, even if it was in a match against a team that are known for lathering their legs in vaseline.

broncos70

Juniors
Wallace has gotta go, not just the two missed tackles that let in tries but the penalties and his ball playing and most particularly his last tackle options. I dont know about the Norman bashing today, sure the barba try wasn't pretty but it was a rough bounce and you get the feeling that even if billy that was there it just would've bounced for barba, overall Norman supported well today and i thought was good.
Hunt is showing more than Wallace no question, I think this year we should just cut our losses and drop Wallace, tell him to find another club, put Norman back to 6, see if they work together or go buy a half and team Hunt with him, we won't win a comp otherwise and sticking to it would just be protecting our egos about our finals record, but would just hamper our chances next year.

At the time I thought it was a dumb choice to let Te'o leave and the more i see the more that opinion is confirmed. I'm gonna put my cards on the table and say that Parker is overrated and at times detrimental to the side. We probably could have resigned Teo for half and turned one of thaiday/glenn into the lock.

3. Petero
2. Teo
1. Thaiday
Would have been good to have Glenn out there

Spot on about everything except the Parker comment. He does get in the way on the 4th and 5th sometimes and I thought our attacked sucked a little because of him, but I was wrong. It's Peter Wallace. Wallace has a decent kicking game at times but thats about it. Parker is a solid player and I rate him as a much better player than Thaiday. Parker missed a few crucial tackles earlier in the year but he works much harder than our captain and doesn't ever look lazy like Thaiday does.

I thought yesterday was Thaidays best game all year. Everything else was pretty spot on.

Gillett dropped that ball with the line open and that was the game. Would've been 20-0. The ball he threw out was on. It happened right in front of me and the play was on, just poor execution.

I thought Norman was good at the back and added a lot to our attack. Keep him there. I wasn't happy about Mcguire getting limited minutes. He was pumped for a big game. Petero and Hannant got a bit lazy in the warmup and Mcguire was shouting at them to pump them up. Thought he'd have a huge game but was used as a bench warmer

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Ah here we go looking for a scapegoat and the wallace wallopers are out in full force. Nice to see though how much attention you pay the guy. I think Norman and Wallace played as good as each other and as bad as each other on occasions. Also not sure why Gillett is missing so many tackles these days? Good game for us even if the Bulldogs were below par especially in the first half. Big improvement for the Broncs from the last couple of weeks especially in defence. Glenn and Hoffman would have come in handy also.

3. T'eo
2. Hannant
1. Thaiday

broncos70

Juniors
Ah here we go looking for a scapegoat and the wallace wallopers are out in full force. Nice to see though how much attention you pay the guy. I think Norman and Wallace played as good as each other and as bad as each other on occasions. Also not sure why Gillett is missing so many tackles these days? Good game for us even if the Bulldogs were below par especially in the first half. Big improvement for the Broncs from the last couple of weeks especially in defence. Glenn and Hoffman would have come in handy also.

3. T'eo
2. Hannant
1. Thaiday

Other than that spastic play where he missed the ball for barbas try, Norman was decent. I thought he looked better than Hoffman has at fullback this season. Wallace made an error, copped 2 penalties, missed a tackle where Barba was standing still, and managed to bomb the easiest of tries. He also showed absolutely nothing in attack as usual and did nothing on the last tackle several times. He managed to get a couple of decent long range kicks though, and he did improve from weeks before, but he needs the chop for a week at least to wake him up.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Other than that spastic play where he missed the ball for barbas try, Norman was decent. I thought he looked better than Hoffman has at fullback this season. Wallace made an error, copped 2 penalties, missed a tackle where Barba was standing still, and managed to bomb the easiest of tries. He also showed absolutely nothing in attack as usual and did nothing on the last tackle several times. He managed to get a couple of decent long range kicks though, and he did improve from weeks before, but he needs the chop for a week at least to wake him up.

Yeah tbh i thought Norman had one of his better games the other day. Wallace yup give me a replacement that works and I'll go with that. As i said recently Griffin should at least sideline the guy but then i said the same thing about Petro and look how he bounced back.
Not sure about Norman replacing Hoffman @ fullback? Suppose you'd have to see how Norman handles fullback on a semi-permanent basis. Griffins gotta bite the bullet somewhere?

broncos70

Juniors
Yeah tbh i thought Norman had one of his better games the other day. Wallace yup give me a replacement that works and I'll go with that. As i said recently Griffin should at least sideline the guy but then i said the same thing about Petro and look how he bounced back.
Not sure about Norman replacing Hoffman @ fullback? Suppose you'd have to see how Norman handles fullback on a semi-permanent basis. Griffins gotta bite the bullet somewhere?

tbh I think Hunt and Norman should be our halves with Hoffman or Maranta at fb for next year. Hoffman has looked pretty useless all year but I think it's because he's played the same role as norman half the time. Norman has been running hoffmans lines in the backline play.

or maybe go Jordan Kahu either at fb or 5/8 next year with Norman at fb. Hoffman is a gun fullback but I think he needs a rest because he's been playing injured. If we kept Beale then he'd be an automatic selection in the 1 jersey for me. He's better than Hoffman and our attack looked way better with him at the back at the end of last year than it did with hoffman. Hoffmans a little weird in that he doesnt score many tries, doesnt make many line breaks, doesnt ball play or chime into the backline. He just runs straight up and down pretty much and can tackle alright.

Latest posts