What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 24 v Broncos

Graftonpanther

Juniors
Thanks Hineyrulz. I thought we played well across the paddock. The Broncos obviously thought they were going to come down and smash us. You could see the frustration in their play.

I thought the best piece of our game was the defence, it was incredible at times. Kevin Kingston's defence was immaculate IMO.

I also thought Ryan Simpkins, Mose and Tim Grant played very well, all the forwards really laid the platform for us in attack and defence.

If James Segeyaro is not the buy of the year for the NRL I don't know who is, glad we have him locked up.

meek

Juniors
Well done panthers
Segs,Manu , Mose , Simpkins , Mansour , Mckendry , Smith , John where great IMO
Thought the Manu break was similar to him at Melb great signs .
Wallace for his small minutes for Broncs was shite any talk of him coming back here must be put to bed surely. John has more creativity in has big toe than Wallace has in his whole body Geez

Agree with Hadley Cleary has done an amazing job with a weak roster -
next year cant wait

Cleary - Gus WELL DONE

Think Wallace is shite tho

Last edited:

maple_69

Bench
One thing I was a bit annoyed about were the number of nothing kicks we put in on the 3rd tackle. Coote did it twice and Whare once. Seemed like they panicked and kicked it but no one was on the same page and the fullback wasn't out of position.
Things like this is an area we need to improve big time to make it to the top echelon of teams. We struggle once we get in the 20 to score so put on your plays until the last and then get a kick into the ingoal and get a drop out. Build the pressure and they will crack.

murraymob

Coach
Well done panthers
Segs,Manu , Mose , Simpkins , Mansour , Mckendry , Smith , John where great IMO
Thought the Manu break was similar to him at Melb great signs .
Wallace for his small minutes for Broncs was shite any talk of him coming back here must be put to bed surely. John has more creativity in has big toe than Wallace has in his whole body Geez

Agree with Hadley Cleary has done an amazing job with a weak roster -
next year cant wait

Cleary - Gus WELL DONE

Think Wallace is shite tho

there still in talks with wallace

chrisD

Coach
Broncos pack were weak as piss which was great as they may have played Grant and McKendry into form. They smashed them, must have easily averaged over 10m per carry and were breaking tackles for fun.

Some good kicks and some crap kicks from Walsh but I find it hard to criticize when he's carrying 90% of the kicking duties and when John and Coote chime in they're shit. Coote has the biggest boot at the club and if we're going to play him it's geniused not to take advantage of it and give him some of the long kicks, he's even a left footer.

John needs to get the ball after we make a break (I'd say Segs too but Segs is involved in almost all of our breaks), Walsh and Coote just squander opportunities with great consistency.

The Broncos lacked the heart to put their body in front of Manu at the end there, it was fantastic. Manu is fast and he should be running straight and outside lines as well as the inside line, as it is he's being used almost exclusively on an outside in line, need some variation. f**k knows what he was doing in defence on their first try, he went full genius there.

Brown terrorised Prince but the sooner he's out of the centres the better the team will be for it. Get him in the back row where he belongs and we can piss a nuffy off out of the team and the starting line up. May as well play Roberts at centre, not like he's any more likely to run out, throw it out, get left behind on a break, get run around by Tate or run over by Hurrell than Brown anyway. Even if he is there's a chance he'll make it back up through his ability and the experience will be worth something in the future.

Broncos targeted our right side, kicking and in attack, they were mostly up for it, 2 tries but the first was purely Manu's fault, just lacked the numbers again on the second and indecision cost us. Won't know if there's been any real improvement until we're up against a real team.

Good that Segs got up, he has been down on form recently, he'll miss Masoe the most next year.

I'm happy enough for Smith to be in the 17 the rest of the way.

rem286

Juniors
One thing I was a bit annoyed about were the number of nothing kicks we put in on the 3rd tackle. Coote did it twice and Whare once. Seemed like they panicked and kicked it but no one was on the same page and the fullback wasn't out of position.
Things like this is an area we need to improve big time to make it to the top echelon of teams. We struggle once we get in the 20 to score so put on your plays until the last and then get a kick into the ingoal and get a drop out. Build the pressure and they will crack.

Agree. It was the only real disappointing aspect of an otherwise good all round performance. Think Brown may have had a crack at one also. Every time it was on the 3rd tackle when we had good field position and all but one of them went dead or straight to a pony.

Good to see big Sam getting back to his best.

Graftonpanther

Juniors
Agree. It was the only real disappointing aspect of an otherwise good all round performance. Think Brown may have had a crack at one also. Every time it was on the 3rd tackle when we had good field position and all but one of them went dead or straight to a pony.

Good to see big Sam getting back to his best.

I agree sometimes we try to run on the 5th as well when we should just kick for field position.

Some of the attempts to run on the fifth especially around the halfway or oppositions 40 are just plain stupid.

We hand the ball over very lamely for the other team to begin their set of six near the halfway line.

Nugget10

Juniors

I think it was an obvious ploy by Cleary to test Hoffman's positioning. Hoffman was up to it all night. In saying that though I don't think it worked out too bad having to make Brisbane work it off their own line tiring them out

maple_69

Bench
I think it was an obvious ploy by Cleary to test Hoffman's positioning. Hoffman was up to it all night. In saying that though I don't think it worked out too bad having to make Brisbane work it off their own line tiring them out

Yeah I think Cleary definitely gave them a bit of a license to back themselves after a break/facing a staggered line. Our guys just invariably took the wrong option. Something to work on.
The other thing that strikes me is our inability to convert a break into points. For the last few years we've been quite terrible at breaking the line. This year we're makijg more breaks but not pushing the advantage. It's great for field position, but hopefully with the spine we have next year, we'll be able to take better advantage of that scrambling defence.

rem286

Juniors
Speed around the ruck is hurting us and many of the lower ranked teams. This is the reason I think the Rorters will go all the way. Their forwards run hard but once they realise they are held, they go down quick on their belly and are up playing the ball very soon after. If the defence is slow clearing the ruck they get a penalty, or dummy half catching teams off side and ultimately the speed of their play just ruins their oppositions defence very quickly.

Like many teams, we have many offenders that struggle and squirm with the defence allowing their line to set by the time we are ready to play the ball.

Also I think Penrith are one of the slower teams at spreading the ball, even my wife who barely watches games noticed how much quicker Brisbane were at moving the ball than us, even though it was not enough to beat us. Hopefully Soward can help in that department because I don't think we have anyone with a strong long passing game.

Panther Pete

Juniors
Just watched a replay of the game and a few things I took out of it....McKendry is making a huge impact with his runs, Mansour is a very strong winger, Segs is back to his best after a few quiet games, we shouldnt be letting Mose go and Wally Lewis should never, ever be allowed to commentate on Broncos games again!!

Big Mick

Referee
Just watched a replay of the game and a few things I took out of it....McKendry is making a huge impact with his runs, Mansour is a very strong winger, Segs is back to his best after a few quiet games, we shouldnt be letting Mose go and Wally Lewis should never, ever be allowed to commentate on Broncos games again!!

LOL agreed.

Every time Penrith did something good it was like a funeral in the commentary box...when the Broncos did anything at all it was the best thing since sliced bread.

betcats

Referee
The whinge about the Coote offside non-call was epic.

In saying that, that was a pretty bad call.

franklin2323

Immortal
The whinge about the Coote offside non-call was epic.

In saying that, that was a pretty bad call.

Yeah. I missed that live at the game but saw it on the replay.

No idea how it was missed unless they ruled when it went through Hoffman's leg it touched him and Coote was outside the 10m.

:lol::lol: still it was wrong if they did think that

Panther Pete

Juniors
LOL agreed.

Every time Penrith did something good it was like a funeral in the commentary box...when the Broncos did anything at all it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Exactly, it would be like one of us calling panthers games!!

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
It was mentioned on the knights forum that halfwitt2010 came on to your teams forum and made a dick out of himself. It was even more pathetic than I thought it would be. He carried on like an arrogant troll, then ran away and hid when it bit him in the arse. The school holidays are coming up soon, so fingers crossed the added free time he will have won't result in you guys having to put up with his pathetic trolling.

soc123_au

Staff member
He is a special bit of work our Donkey boy. To his credit he made a brief cameo after the game to give a bit of praise to the way the Panthers played. Once he is old enough to discover the joy of masturbation I imagine we will hear a little less from him.

Latest posts