What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 v Canberra

martielang

Bench
I get IC trying to reward Laurie for his performances by getting him into the team and respect that about him tbh, but braz please you’re killing the guys career.

Also think we’d genuinely get more value out of a mid tier backrower than Martin. Absolute beast when he wants to be, but wants to be he does not*

* Unless it’s origin.

Iamback

Coach
I get IC trying to reward Laurie for his performances by getting him into the team and respect that about him tbh, but braz please you’re killing the guys career.

Also think we’d genuinely get more value out of a mid tier backrower than Martin. Absolute beast when he wants to be, but wants to be he does not. Unless it’s origin.

Laurie on the wing works if we change tactics to match his skillset. Give him early ball give him a chance to get around his opposite.

Having him play Turuva style doesn't work.

That was my point with Ivan playing an ill McLean. We could of used Mav to give Martin a breather. Especially as the right gets targetted every week.

Maybe him for 60mins is worth a shot, what we are doing now isn't working. It hasn't been for awhile, the hope it sorts itself out time has passed

I was in the Martin to prop camp for this reason maybe Papalli/Garner backrow is the way forward next season

The Realist

Juniors
Kenny wouldn't have made any difference today. Infact Sommerton probably offered more in this particular game since our halves were so f**king bad

I actually agree with this, Sommerton is much Sharper from Dummy Half.

Kenny is such an odd ball dummy half. He works in our current system/Squad, but he'd struggle to make starting dummy half at most decent teams.

martielang

Bench
Laurie on the wing works if we change tactics to match his skillset. Give him early ball give him a chance to get around his opposite.

Having him play Turuva style doesn't work.

That was my point with Ivan playing an ill McLean. We could of used Mav to give Martin a breather. Especially as the right gets targetted every week.

Maybe him for 60mins is worth a shot, what we are doing now isn't working. It hasn't been for awhile, the hope it sorts itself out time has passed

I was in the Martin to prop camp for this reason maybe Papalli/Garner backrow is the way forward next season

Turuva getting between players and falling on his front is hugely underrated and under appreciated in our system. His finishing ability is also much improved and far superior. I just can’t see in any world or any style of play where Laurie is a superior option on the wing. In other positions he is, so definitely not a knock on Laurie.

Martin just cruises. Has done so for 3 seasons. Caught fire coming into the 2022 (?) final series and has the occasional game where he dominates but generally outside a big tackle or a good early run, you wouldn’t know he’s on the field. Fifita got hammered for doing more IMO but Martin gets the good bloke walk up start.

Iamback

Coach
Turuva getting between players and falling on his front is hugely underrated and under appreciated in our system. His finishing ability is also much improved and far superior. I just can’t see in any world or any style of play where Laurie is a superior option on the wing. In other positions he is, so definitely not a knock on Laurie.

Martin just cruises. Has done so for 3 seasons. Caught fire coming into the 2022 (?) final series and has the occasional game where he dominates but generally outside a big tackle or a good early run, you wouldn’t know he’s on the field. Fifita got hammered for doing more IMO but Martin gets the good bloke walk up start.

Turuva does what our back 3 generally does and suits our style. I had no issue with Laurie because we had been flat all year and hoped that would be used to evolve the team.

That wasn't the case so need to go back to a big body there.

That is part of my Martin to prop reasoning. We could get someone there who offloads or something and evolve the side that way and gets Martin involved.

Frankus

Juniors
In your 35 years of supporting the team.

How many times has the side had:

6 current Origin players ( I am counting Nathan in that)

Another who is NZ captain and voted the best interational player

Another who was his starting front rower

Lower grades sitting 5th and 3rd?

The bar is higher due to the talent of side. Us having a bum side for most of our history is irrelevant here
Ah yes what a surprise. Only a genuinely low merkin like you and your circle jerk mates (Chins, Westy, etc) would think of a way to justify personal attacks on Ivan and the players. But but but the bar is set higher. Your mum made a mistake opening her legs, she shoulda swallowed you.

Iamback

Coach
Ah yes what a surprise. Only a genuinely low merkin like you and your circle jerk mates (Chins, Westy, etc) would think of a way to justify personal attacks on Ivan and the players. But but but the bar is set higher. Your mum made a mistake opening her legs, she shoulda swallowed you.

Given you haven't done us a favour and f**ked off, how about you actually offer something here

How many teams have a better roster than us?

hindy111

Post Whore
Dane Laurie is dynamic but Turuva makes meters to start the set. He should be there and Dane your 14.
Can't afford another loss. Must remain in top 4.
In a way finishing 4th might be of benefit.
If you best the Storm away most likely Roosters knock off Sharks. You then would I think avoid Storm or Roosters in the preliminary final.
But if lost to Storm you'd most likely beat anyone 5th-8th then face Roosters in Sydney in the preliminary. More disrebale then Storm.

Iamback

Coach
It really isn't that hard to grasp. We have a top 2 roster

We lost to a NSW Cup quality Warriors team
Were lucky to scrap home v Parra, Dolphin and Knights - none are playing finals

lost to a Canberra team that won't play finals

Yet no one is responsible for such showing?

hindy111

Post Whore
It's mentally draining being a t the top for a long period.
Making the top 4 for 5yrs straight is a huge achievement in itself. Not winning the comp isn't a failure. It would be a case of the salary cap catching up with you and losing to many key players.
Imagine still having Spencer and Crighton in this side. Unbeatable.
Nathan,Sorrenson, Kenny and Almoti will come back in. It might be enough to Jag the comp. Especially if Storm or Roosters cop an injury. Right now I lean on both those two as slightly better. But Panthers also could turn the heat up and click come finals. Not out of the race but it isn't the same team as the last few years.

hindy111

Post Whore
It really isn't that hard to grasp. We have a top 2 roster

We lost to a NSW Cup quality Warriors team
Were lucky to scrap home v Parra, Dolphin and Knights - none are playing finals

lost to a Canberra team that won't play finals

Yet no one is responsible for such showing?

Nathan,Sorrenson in and out of side all year.
Jfh ,Edwards injuries.
Origin period.
Desire probably not as strong also.

Come finals maybe they turn the intensity up. It's a long season and players can't do it every week.
If get your best 17 on paddock it might be enough to Jag the Comp. Storm look unbeatable to me st present.

Munky

Coach
I actually agree with this, Sommerton is much Sharper from Dummy Half.

Kenny is such an odd ball dummy half. He works in our current system/Squad, but he'd struggle to make starting dummy half at most decent teams.

Kenny in the second half of last season looked a mediocre attacking hooker alongside his elite defence.

His attack seems to have regressed this season and (like Henry) hangs around in tackles too long after lising the contact leading to infringements against.

I had high hopes that he would step up a notch this season with ball in hand but hasn't.

Atleast he doesn't do the dummy half shuffle every play the ball though.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Cry more you little bitch

Iamback

Coach
Jfh ,Edwards injuries.
Origin period.

Come finals maybe they turn the intensity up. It's a long season and players can't do it every week.
If get your best 17 on paddock it might be enough to Jag the Comp. Storm look unbeatable to me st present.

No doubt they are down but aside from Nathan most have played enough.

Leota is a test player and barely missed a game. So too Kenny.

Tago has won 2 comps and only missed the Dogs game due to suspension.

Again what sides haven't had injuries?

MugaB

Coach
Jfh ,Edwards injuries.
Origin period.

That sounds like pawwa talk

hindy111

Post Whore
No doubt they are down but aside from Nathan most have played enough.

Leota is a test player and barely missed a game. So too Kenny.

Tago has won 2 comps and only missed the Dogs game due to suspension.

Again what sides haven't had injuries?

But Nathan is not only your best player but the best player in comp.
Missing him alone is enough of an excuse really.

Latest posts