What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 v Canberra

WestyLife

First Grade
What was said in this thread isn't changed by what happened vs Roosters. They were terrible. Last night they were the best team in the comp which is what those of us criticising keep saying but that's too positive.

Iamback

Coach
What was said in this thread isn't changed by what happened vs Roosters. They were terrible. Last night they were the best team in the comp which is what those of us criticising keep saying but that's too positive.

Last night just shows how poor we have been in the regular season. If that is a 10, We have been at 6 for the year

age.s

First Grade
At the time I'd have said the "keeping our powder dry" stuff was hard copium. Now it's just the obvious answer.

soc123_au

Staff member
I just want to bump this thread.
This thread actually proves the critics correct imo. The way I read it the undertone was frustration at being capable of so much more than what we were dishing up. Last night shows we are so much more capable.

Best performance of the year for Martin, Tago and Leota.

Cleary back and firing helped obviously along with Garner fit and starting.

WestyLife

First Grade
At the time I'd have said the "keeping our powder dry" stuff was hard copium. Now it's just the obvious answer.

Yeah looks like. Martin and Leota looked like completely different players. Tago as well.

Last night just shows how poor we have been in the regular season. If that is a 10, We have been at 6 for the year

Definitely looks like coasting until finals.

WestyLife

First Grade
This thread actually proves the critics correct imo. The way I read it the undertone was frustration at being capable of so much more than what we were dishing up. Last night shows we are so much more capable.

This is exactly it.

Pomoz

Bench

I think we also have to acknowledge the coaching staff's role in this. They probably have been tapering to get the players ready for the finals.

Our sports scientists now have four years of finals and SOO related data to help design the training program. It's a delicate balance to get right especially when you throw in SOO. All our rep players looked buggered after SOO. We have had a lot of injuries and the May saga caused a considerable distraction to the team. We have looked flat at times and players like Edwards, Martin and To'o have looked exhausted.

Yet somehow, a team that last week looked like they couldn't beat an egg, displayed fitness levels and intensity last night that would beat any team in the NRL, including the Storm. The line reset after the chargedown was the shining example of conditioning and attitude that has defined our five year era. Teamwork, effort, one percenters.

To top it all, Cleary strolls back into a semi final game looking match fit. Our fitness and conditioning staff have excelled over the last five years and they seem to have delivered again.

soc123_au

Staff member
I think we also have to acknowledge the coaching staff's role in this. They probably have been tapering to get the players ready for the finals.

Our sports scientists now have four years of finals and SOO related data to help design the training program. It's a delicate balance to get right especially when you throw in SOO. All our rep players looked buggered after SOO. We have had a lot of injuries and the May saga caused a considerable distraction to the team. We have looked flat at times and players like Edwards, Martin and To'o have looked exhausted.

Yet somehow, a team that last week looked like they couldn't beat an egg, displayed fitness levels and intensity last night that would beat any team in the NRL, including the Storm. The line reset after the chargedown was the shining example of conditioning and attitude that has defined our five year era. Teamwork, effort, one percenters.

To top it all, Cleary strolls back into a semi final game looking match fit. Our fitness and conditioning staff have excelled over the last five years and they seem to have delivered again.
They know what they are doing for sure. The runs are on the board. But discussion here is based on what we see. Trust the process doesn't make for interesting discussion.

WestyLife

First Grade

That play getting back to defend was the best thing any team has done all year and it'll go right under the radar. That would be a try 10/10 times normally.

soc123_au

Staff member
That play getting back to defend was the best thing any team has done all year and it'll go right under the radar. That would be a try 10/10 times normally.
Cronk will bring it up if the Matt Johns podcast is on this week. He loves that kind of thing, especially with Nath being involved. He talks like he is underwater sometimes, but his analysis is usually excellent and outside the usual shit the talking heads bar up over.

age.s

First Grade
They know what they are doing for sure. The runs are on the board. But discussion here is based on what we see. Trust the process doesn't make for interesting discussion.
"Trust the process" isn't an attempt to shut down discussion, it's a counterpoint to "that was putrid" within the discussion.

Anyway let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. We can gloat about how well the coaching staff have timed their run on October 7th.

age.s

First Grade
Cronk will bring it up if the Matt Johns podcast is on this week. He loves that kind of thing, especially with Nath being involved. He talks like he is underwater sometimes, but his analysis is usually excellent and outside the usual shit the talking heads bar up over.
Yeah idm Cronk. Beats listening to Corey Parker.

Pomoz

Bench
I am not saying "trust the process". I am saying I think the flat performances are part intention down to the training load management, "tapering". The team worked really hard in training so they were flat on game day. We had the luxury of this because we were always top four. If you are not top four, you have to win. You can only focus on next week, so extra training to prepare for the finals isn't an option in case you lose and don't even make the finals.

My second reason, I think the players have mentally reached a place where they don't get excited by regular season games. Four GF's and continual finals football would be addictive. A rainy night in Wollongong for two points, not so much. It is impossible to be "up" for every game, especially when you throw in SOO and all the excitement around that.

I think we have fallen into the mental habit of doing "just enough" to win. Eventually this will be the team's undoing, if it isn't already.

In many ways, losing a few players this year will help break the complacency. A new member of the spine. A new winger, a new front rower. It should freshen up the team and help energise them again.

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
"Trust the process" isn't an attempt to shut down discussion, it's a counterpoint to "that was putrid" within the discussion.

Anyway let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. We can gloat about how well the coaching staff have timed their run on October 7th.

I am not saying "trust the process". I am saying I think the flat performances are part intention down to the training load management, "tapering". The team worked really hard in training so they were flat on game day. We had the luxury of this because we were always top four. If you are not top four, you have to win. You can only focus on next week, so extra training to prepare for the finals isn't an option in case you lose and don't even make the finals.

My second reason, I think the players have mentally reached a place where they don't get excited by regular season games. Four GF's and continual finals football would be addictive. A rainy night in Wollongong for two points, not so much. It is impossible to be "up" for every game, especially when you throw in SOO and all the excitement around that.

I think we have fallen into the mental habit of doing "just enough" to win. Eventually this will be the team's undoing, if it isn't already.

In many ways, losing a few players this year will help help break the complacency. A new member of the spine. A new winger, a new front rower. It should freshen up the team and help energise them again.
The trust the process line was just a throw away to describe the constant shutting down of negativity without offering any other context. Not something I have noticed either of you do that I recall. I get some of the negative shit gets boring, but imo when it comes out it's with a decent reason, as annoying as the repetition may be. The shutting down is just as annoying. Just my opinion on it.