What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 vs. Warriors Discussion + Voting

renouf

Juniors
Won't post any speculated lineups, but hopefully Kenny and Lockyer will be back.

Michael Luck is out I think, so that's a loss for them. I'm sure Ian Henderson will return though.

Broncos93

Juniors
If we lose this one we're screwed. If we keep playing how we are Canberra and Warriors will walk all over us. Only reason we're still in the 8 is cause the teams below us are just as woeful.

qld aussie

Juniors
Kenny must be put back to front row we need size, Teo secondrow ,Lockyer to 5/8, Giilett to wing, Norman and Yow yeh to 20's we leak too many points on right. Sims on bench we need go fwd Dodds back to Q cup he has no impact on the game.:x:cool:

Snappy

Coach
You cant fry Yow Yeh for one bad game. I rather him on the wing than Gillett.

We need to win both games now that the Raiders won today. Raider play cowboys in Canberra next week, so they should get the points.

Dingus

Juniors
Broncos need to beat raiders to make 8. Even if raiders win by 40 this week and broncos lose by 18, broncos will need to win the last game by only 6 to beat them on f and a.

doesn't look like others can catch up barring some strange strange results.

this week, wholesale changes won't help. Yow Yeh was poor but still is the best option they got there. For the bulk of the year, Teo/Parker/Thaiday play 70 to 80mins and gillett 60+ so one of these guys has been technically been playing 'prop' for all bar the first 20minutes, which is why teo is named there.

broncos just need to focus on defensive structure this week. Another belting and they risk f and a playing a part. Hopefully they can build off some good defense, like they did in the middle of the season

ASH_03

Juniors
They need to hit back strong this week. I think they just lack a lot of structure without Locky!!!

renouf

Juniors
They lack everything without Lockyer. Structure, attitude, patience, calmness, etc. It's amazing how we can go from a good defensive side to leaking 74 points in 2 weeks without Lockyer.

Some of these journo's have no idea, one said that bringing back Lockyer is pointless and that if Brisbane can't bring their A game for the Warriors then their wasting their time in the finals. Lockyer IS their A game.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
They lack everything without Lockyer. Structure, attitude, patience, calmness, etc. It's amazing how we can go from a good defensive side to leaking 74 points in 2 weeks without Lockyer.

Some of these journo's have no idea, one said that bringing back Lockyer is pointless and that if Brisbane can't bring their A game for the Warriors then their wasting their time in the finals. Lockyer IS their A game.

but thats a problem in itself. One man teams aren't good things and the broncos dont really have the excuse to be a one man team given the rep experience and ability in the team. I do agree that lockyer brings a lot to the team even without touching the ball but theres enough experience elsewhere (esp the forwards) to be putting in better performances.

you cant say lockyer helps the defensive structure either given his amounts of miss tackles, plus he's on one edge of the ruck so him not being there isnt an excuse for anyone up the middle or on the other side of the field. it's an attitude thing and i'm not sure where their heads are at the moment but they've been very disorganised in the past 2 games and wallace and mcculloch need to be controlling things a lot better in attack. in defence i ahve no idea what they're doing, but some of those newcastle tries were incredibly flukey

One Warrior

Bench
Won't post any speculated lineups, but hopefully Kenny and Lockyer will be back.

Michael Luck is out I think, so that's a loss for them. I'm sure Ian Henderson will return though.

Yes Michael Luck is most definitely out, was stitched up in surgery yesterday, google the injury and you'll see why, team mates are calling him shark bite, yet he managed a couple more tackles before the end of the set.:shock:

renouf

Juniors
but thats a problem in itself. One man teams aren't good things and the broncos dont really have the excuse to be a one man team given the rep experience and ability in the team. I do agree that lockyer brings a lot to the team even without touching the ball but theres enough experience elsewhere (esp the forwards) to be putting in better performances.

you cant say lockyer helps the defensive structure either given his amounts of miss tackles, plus he's on one edge of the ruck so him not being there isnt an excuse for anyone up the middle or on the other side of the field. it's an attitude thing and i'm not sure where their heads are at the moment but they've been very disorganised in the past 2 games and wallace and mcculloch need to be controlling things a lot better in attack. in defence i ahve no idea what they're doing, but some of those newcastle tries were incredibly flukey

We've been a one man team for aslong as Locky has played in the 6. Even when Hunt and Hodges (who are class players) were in the team, we would struggle to beat sides.

For our actual defence, Locky doesn't do anything that any other player couldn't do, but its everything else that goes on throughout the game which I think leads us to leaking points. Things like giving penalties away, poor kicking game, inability to score tries when the opportunities are given, these all add up to poor defence.

Last edited:

Snappy

Coach
http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...86/lockyer-to-miss-warriors-game/default.aspx
Lockyer to miss Warriors game

By Wayne Heming AAP Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:16:08

Brisbane will give skipper Darren Lockyer another week off and could even back themselves to beat Canberra in the final round without him to secure an NRL finals berth.
Lockyer travelled to Caloundra with the team on Monday and will run on Tuesday and Wednesday but is not expected to make the trip across the Tasman for Brisbane's crucial showdown with the Warriors.
"In his head, he wants to play," Brisbane coach Ivan Henjak said from the team's Sunshine Coast base.
"(But)... it would hurt him and it would hurt the team if he is not right.
"I've told Darren I don't want him to play if he isn't right. I haven't put any pressure on him to play, and I won't.
"We have to prepare for that (Lockyer not playing) against the Warriors and the Raiders.
"There's been suggestions we can't win without him ... we don't believe that and we won't be taking any risks with him until we're convinced it won't jeopardise his health."
Brisbane can drop Friday night's game to the seventh-placed Warriors and still make their 19th successive finals if they beat a fast-finishing Raiders in the 26th and final round of the minor premiership.
Corey Norman will fill Lockyer's spot again on Friday night with utility Matt Gillett cleared on Monday of a lifting charge by the NRL's match review committee.
Gillett was penalised and placed on report for a lifting tackle on Newcastle reserve Richard Fa'aoso in the 51st minute of the 44-18 loss.
Henjak, who was miffed by several refereeing decisions in the heavy loss to the Knights, denied he'd pulled young winger Jharal Yow Yeh from the field in the second half because he was unhappy with his effort.
Knights giant Cooper Vuna scored four tries on Yow Yeh's side, the last one off a freakish banana kick from five-eighth Jarrod Mullen that cleared his fingers tips and curled into Vuna's hands.
"I took Jharal off because he was shattered," said Henjak.
"He was having a tough night at the office and I could see it was getting to him."
Young hooker Andrew McCullough, who turned in a first-half blinder against the Knights, said Lockyer hadn't indicated to the players what his chances were of making a comeback against the Warriors.
"He's a pretty quiet sort of a bloke, I'm not too sure what he is thinking, he keeps things close to his chest," said McCullough.
"He'll see how the week goes, he knows his own body better than anyone else."
There's no doubt a win without Lockyer would help the players' confidence and self belief more than just get the critics off their back but McCullough said his absence against the Knights was not the issue.
"They (Newcastle) put 44 points on us and that's got nothing to do with Locky, it's our attitude towards defence," he said.
"We got through the Origin period where we played some really good footy against some quality teams," said McCullough.
"If we start thinking about Locky not being there too much, we're going to be in trouble.
Brisbane will fly to Auckland on Wednesday and stage a final training session at Auckland Grammar school on Thursday.

Mateo Moi Moi

Juniors
Just an eels fan looking from the outside in. I am really looking forward to the game on Friday night. Apart from the impact on the 8, I like these two teams and always is an exciting game (except maybe when warriors played you guys at Suncorp earlier this year).

I might get shot down but I reckon this should be your team for the game with no Lockyer.

1. Hoffman
2. Yow Yeh
3. Gillett
4. Folau
5. Winterstein
6. Hunt
7. Wallace
8. Tronc
9. McCullough
10. Kenny
11. Thaiday
12. Teo
13. Parker

14. Dodds
15. Glenn
16. Sims
17. Setu

Might have a few injured players in there if so, sorry. I think Norman & Maguire need to be dropped. Both had shockers. Norman couldn't hold on to the ball and Maguire gave too many penalties.

Gillett & Teo to swap between backrow & centres. Glenn to cover the hooker role because I don't think he offers much at centre. Have him in closer to the ruck.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Hunt in the 7. and Wallace in the 6. might work ok if Norman was dropped. And you think he would be as he needs to work on his carry and that won't fix itself in a week.

Setu injured and no to Sims (unless it was Tariq). McGuire needs to be kept for his enthusiasm and those penalities against him were dubious as well. Glenn has been going fine in the centres and has been our one of our best the last couple of weeks. Gillette may not see enough ball out in the centres if Lockyer doesn't play (which he won't).

Big Pete

Referee
Team to play the Warriors...still no Lockyer

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Antonio Winterstein
3. Alex Glenn
4. Israel Folau
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Corey Norman
7. Peter Wallace
8. Shane Tronc
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Ben Te'o
11. Matt Gillett
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker (c)

14. Ben Hunt
15. Josh McGuire
16. Mitchell Dodds
17. Scott Anderson
18. Nick Kenny

renouf

Juniors
Haha Henjak you goose, Te'o still at Frontrow? get real

All indications are that Lockyer isn't going to play now, if he doesn't play next week we won't make the finals.

Latest posts