What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 v Warriors

RedVDave

First Grade
Wouldn't be surprised if Mary plays Frizz at 13 and puts Ford/Tyrell on the edge.

Just play Host or Fuimaono at 13 you bloody fool
Lol well this is the same bloke who thought Kurt Mann's best position was lock and was talking about playing McInnes there to. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if we see Matt Dufty in the 13 jersey next week.

SaintPauli

Juniors
I thought Frizz on an edge yesterday was threatening all day, some great runs and no cutting back into the ruck :ok_hand_tone1::ok_hand_tone1:
I reckon Frizz looked better yesterday as he played his own game ( since its his last year at dragons) and ignored coaches crap game plan!

Redhoopz

Juniors
One of the worst performances I have seen from the Dragons in a while...The Warriors were good, but not that good. We have a habit of making mediocre teams look like top 4 teams...

A couple of things that stood out from the game:

- I can't remember the Dragons ever putting any pressure on the Warriors, either in attack or defense

- No support play

- Still giving away silly penalties

- Appalling kicking game - I don't understand the obsession with midfield bombs, this dates back to McCrone...is is that hard to place a low kick in the corner and force the opposition to work it out of their end? instead of letting RTS and co take it on the full with no pressure and give up 20m+ every kick return

- Caught on last tackle too many times - I don't mind this if they hand it over in the corner of the Warriors try line and then force them to work it out

- Hunt wasn't that bad....I barely noticed that Norman was out there.

- I don't mind Aitken playing in the middle

I don't know where they go from here. It's good to see the media finally putting some pressure on McGregor. I'm curious to see if he actually drops anyone against the Bulldogs that is not a winger or fullback.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
This is in no way a bagging of McInnes but for all his courage & toughness he seems to lack a lot of smarts around the ruck. Seldom runs, doesn’t kick & yesterday with Hunt on one leg he kept going to him to kick on the last instead of Norman or himself. Having said all that I’m happy to have him.

Totally agree about Cam. Great defender and inspirational leader from the front but one of the key roles of the first player who handles the ball is to create uncertainty in the defence. This is what Cam Smith does so well- those few quick steps to the side could signal a run, a kick or a pass. Our Cam kept shovelling the ball out to one out runners who were easily handled by the Warriors and ran rarely himself.

Of course, it is entirely possible he was playing to instructions from Supercoach Mary- but even if he was, he is primarily a defender and of best value to us in the back row like a Josh Jackson.

For mine, I would have Luke and Brittain as the hooker rotation, Clune comes in for Hunt at No 7, Hunt goes to 6 with Norman dropped.

The real tragedy is that we let Reece Robson go. He has the running game that McInnes lacks. The Cowboys couldn't believe their luck to pick him up and he made a massive difference to their attack against the Gold Coast.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
None of our players show much attacking spark other than the Dufty on the odd occasion followed by plenty of rubbish, and the wingers with some meaty runs. Our centres in Lomax and Wiliame are a lot better than the previous two but very seldom get clean ball with which do anything with. Its hard to make an impact trying to create something out of dummy half. However it is achieved Clune deserves his shot and better now with a run of "easy" games than when we are 6-0 and he gets thrown in vs the Rorters or something.

For mine, the Warriors game simply confirmed:
1.Neither Hunt nor Norman are top class halves- both have poor, inaccurate short kicking games- bombs land five metres too long - in the end. we run on the sixth tackle
2. Hunt is not a natural organiser of an attack- he is more of a runner. Mary has to put Clune in at half and Hunt to 5/8. Clune is a genuine organising half back.
3. Jordan Pereira should be the first back picked. Yet again, he was the most damaging of our ball runners out of defensive positions and. apart from dropping a terrible pass, looked safe as houses.
4. The decision to include an option in Graham's favour for 2020 was an absolute howler from Millward/McGregor. He was on for 34 mins and ran for 40 metres. Couldn't beat an egg.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
One of the worst performances I have seen from the Dragons in a while...The Warriors were good, but not that good. We have a habit of making mediocre teams look like top 4 teams...

A couple of things that stood out from the game:

- I can't remember the Dragons ever putting any pressure on the Warriors, either in attack or defense

- No support play

- Still giving away silly penalties

- Appalling kicking game - I don't understand the obsession with midfield bombs, this dates back to McCrone...is is that hard to place a low kick in the corner and force the opposition to work it out of their end? instead of letting RTS and co take it on the full with no pressure and give up 20m+ every kick return

- Caught on last tackle too many times - I don't mind this if they hand it over in the corner of the Warriors try line and then force them to work it out

- Hunt wasn't that bad....I barely noticed that Norman was out there.

- I don't mind Aitken playing in the middle

I don't know where they go from here. It's good to see the media finally putting some pressure on McGregor. I'm curious to see if he actually drops anyone against the Bulldogs that is not a winger or fullback.
The warriors use to be our bunnies for 15 years.......not anymore. Wonder why that is

getsmarty

Immortal
Exclusive: Can’t even beat their own B Team - Dragons belted by reserves before Warriors meltdown
Dragons
  • June 1, 2020 11:16am
  • by George Clarke
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
73357cc9f870c44e8d3816cf0b2252b5

Dragons coach Paul McGregor looks on after the loss to the WarriorsSource: AAP
EXCLUSIVE – Dragons coach Paul McGregor was furious after a Red V training session last weekend which saw a team of reserves and development players pump the majority of the St George Illawarra side which lost to the Warriors.

The Dragons were humbled by the injury-stricken Warriors on the Central Coast on Saturday, plunging McGregor’s future into fresh doubt.

The Red V coach has won just twice in his last 13 games in charge of the Dragons, with both victories coming against the equally hapless Titans.

And now foxsports.com.au can reveal that the warning signs were there in training last Saturday in Wollongong.

Sources close to the Dragons say that a starting side including the likes of Paul Vaughan, Cameron McInnes with a halves pairing of Ben Hunt and Corey Norman were beaten by three tries against a rag-tag B team boasting Adam Clune and Jack de Belin as the halves.

2d8be0e03dce54d942680295f2582cce

Corey Norman’s Dragons performances have left a lot to be desiredSource: AAP
The reserves were said to have battered the starting side through the middle and showed much more desire and an attitude to win.

It is understood that the stood-down de Belin led the charge, while Korbin Sims’ showing in the training run saw him force his way into the starting side for Saturday’s woeful defeat to the Warriors.

The Dragons’ display against the Kiwi outfit prompted Fox League expert Michael Ennis to say that McGregor had to make some tough calls over the coming weeks to save his career.

“He’s got some huge decisions to make, Paul McGregor,” Ennis said on Saturday.

a5ae4b9d3c3bfa162c4c0900e668a8c0

Dragons player Ben Hunt during the side’s clash with the WarriorsSource: AAP
“Under enormous pressure coming in to the season but to lose this afternoon, to have lost three straight now, and the performance of the high profile players – none more than Ben Hunt – he has got some big decisions to make if he is going to remain as head coach of this club.”

With the Dragons handed a relatively straightforward run – Bulldogs, Sharks, Titans – over their next three games, McGregor has a chance to rectify his side’s slow start.

There have been suggestions that Wayne Bennett would come to the club as McGregor’s replacement if he fails to hit the mark, but that option shapes as an expensive one.

The names of English national team coach Shaun Wane and current assistant coach Dean Young have been thrown into the ring.

ff3bd29adf412e3810dac38d5fdb63d3

Dean Young during a St George Illawarra training sessionSource: News Corp Australia
Both would be more cost-effective options, while Young is waiting in the wings after a long apprenticeship as a junior coach.

Shane Flanagan, the club’s current defensive coach, is not allowed to coach until the 2022 season.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/68322113628c81807be75c91a6f17893