What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs. Sydney Roosters

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane Broncos vs. Sydney Roosters
Suncorp Stadium, Thursday 4 June 2020
Kick Off 7:50pm

TL-BRI20.png

1. Jamayne Isaako 2. Corey Oates 3. Jesse Arthars 4. Darius Boyd 5. Herbie Farnworth 6. Anthony Milford 7. Brodie Croft 8. Thomas Flegler 9. Jake Turpin 10. Payne Haas 11. Ethan Bullemor 12. Jamil Hopoate 13. Patrick Carrigan

Interchange: 14. Tesi Niu 15. Joe Ofahengaue 16. Rhys Kennedy 17. Matthew Lodge

Reserves: 18. Cory Paix 19. Xavier Coates 20. Tom Dearden 21. Pride Petterson-Robati

TL-SYD20.png

1. James Tedesco 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Josh Morris 4. Joseph Manu 5. Brett Morris 6. Luke Keary 7. Kyle Flanagan 8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 9. Jake Friend 10. Lindsay Collins 11. Boyd Cordner 12. Angus Crichton 13. Victor Radley

Interchange: 14. Sam Verrills 15. Isaac Liu 16. Nat Butcher 17. Sitili Tupouniua

Reserves: 18. Siosiua Taukeiaho 19. Mitchell Aubusson 20. Ryan Hall 21. Lachlan Lam

Big Pete

Referee
Jake Turpin is set to miss the clash after picking up a knee injury which could see him spend several weeks on the sideline. Young gun Cory Paix is tipped to come into the starting side.

It's going to be a tough ask. The Broncos were incredibly disappointing against the Eels and now they find themselves against a Roosters side looking to make up for lost time. The Roosters were switched on against the Rabbitohs and they stand to improve with Taukeiaho and Aubusson closing in on a return.

I get the impression that it's going to be one of those games where the Roosters have it won by half-time, but the Broncos give a better account of themselves in the second. Us fans will be searching for signs of encouragement as the Broncos try and jag a win in their tough opening four weeks back in the competition.

Tough times, just have to hope the team can grow from it.

League guru

Juniors
Lack of forward depth is becoming quiet obvious within the Broncos squad. Wingers on the bench. Last week it was Farnsworth, this week Niu. Really.

DeeJ

Bench
Lack of forward depth is becoming quiet obvious within the Broncos squad. Wingers on the bench. Last week it was Farnsworth, this week Niu. Really.

Seibold loves an outside back on the bench. Luckily Macca left, otherwise we would only have two forwards.

Big Pete

Referee
Lack of forward depth is becoming quiet obvious within the Broncos squad.

It always seemed like the Broncos were rolling the dice and announced their Top 30 with Kennar, Vudogo, Kahu etc. taking up spots. The Broncos always looked pretty light in the forwards, once you got past the 17, you were down to Kennedy, Palasia and Hopoate who had bugger all games between them. Then Palasia does his knee, so suddenly the Broncos are down to the last of their development players.

Hopefully the loss of Perese and McCullough can turn into a blessing. You would have to think the Te'o signing is imminent which would be a huge boost and I think they need to bring in another edge player. The Broncos have Piakura who is extremely raw, but he can defend, has good foot work and could be a handy depth option in tandem with Bullemor.

Wingers on the bench. Last week it was Farnsworth, this week Niu. Really.

Farnworth was also on there in the first two weeks. I didn't like the Farnworth move, but I don't mind the Niu move as much because he can actually be pretty deadly in the back-half of games targeting the big boppers in the middle. Personally I'd prefer to see him come in directly for Staggs with Arthars at left centre, but Seibold is going to stick with Darius until Boyd gives him a reason to drop him.

I'd still rather see Hetherington there at 14, I can't see Paix playing 80.

Nerd

Bench
Surely that game has to be the worst by us ever? Don't know where to start. We were that bad tonight that I would consider us earning a six again call in the first half next week a huge improvement from tonight. I want to know how the Broncos management have let this proud club have a team that is this young and inexperienced. I've been cutting Siebold some slack as this is his first year with a team that he has had a hand in selecting players but something is terribly wrong. Maybe it's time for a clean out of upper management?
We were missing our hooker, back row, fullback and captain but that is no excuse for the dropped ball and poor decisions both in attack and on the last tackle. We're getting flogged week in and week out so why not drop Boyd now and give a younger player some experience as this year is gone anyway. Both Lodge and Ofahengaue looked better for having a run last week but saying that both TPJ and Glenn will require a couple of weeks before they get match fit. To be honest if we can avoid the wooden spoon I will be happy.

Big Pete

Referee
Just a horrific performance, everything that could go wrong did and they just made life too easy for the Roosters.

Ordinarily, the Broncos would have been out-classed regardless. The Roosters are a far more disciplined and cohesive outfit while the Broncos are still trying to find themselves. However, they haven't handled Covid-19 as well at all and these past two weeks they've absolutely drowned. They just can't handle spreads on either side of the field and they don't have the backs to work them out of trouble. So they end up making mistakes or tackling themselves to a stand-still where if they can't conjure up a try off a penalty or seven tackle set, they concede a try right after it.

Tonight everything was magnified by the quality opposition and the new interpretations. Maybe other teams will adjust better, but the theme of the first round was one team getting a run of six agains early and the other being too gassed to get back in the game. Everything just compounded in this game and the Broncos didn't handle it at all.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
We're officially the laughing stock of the league, neutrals have been waiting the best part of 30 years for us to get to this level of low.

Yep, and we deserve to be the laughing stock too. Two humiliating losses in the space of a handful of games, it's embarrassing to support the Broncos right now.

Nerd

Bench
In both last games we are getting toweled up down the middle. Lodge and Ofahengaue both have to start against Manly as by the time they come on it's already 16 odd nil with momentum and 6 again calls going against us. Boyd needs to go to the bench and one of the young backs to start.

gUt

Coach
As discussed on Matty Johns, we are in danger of burning Haas out by making him play 80 mins every week, especially with new interpretations.

We are in a desperate spot but to be as far as possible, it's almost an under-20s side and if they can stay together for a season or two, could become a threat. Seems a long way off now.

Big Pete

Referee
As discussed on Matty Johns, we are in danger of burning Haas out by making him play 80 mins every week, especially with new interpretations.

We are in a desperate spot but to be as far as possible, it's almost an under-20s side and if they can stay together for a season or two, could become a threat. Seems a long way off now.

That's been my concern as well, although last night he only played 63 which is about right for a player of his capability.

I didn't watch, but I heard that wasn't the last point the MJ show was off about. Apparently that was the Broncos best 17?

GoTheBroncs

Staff member

My concern is that if they keep taking losses like this, the young guys will grow up in a losing culture and just not have the confidence regardless of their talent.

On the opposite end, Lindsay Collins comes into a winning Roosters side and looks like a world beater and his confidence in himself goes sky high. Talent wise, would you say Collins is better than Flegler? Seems unlikely, but if these sort of games keep happening, the former might end up having a better career.

To be honest, the Broncos losing culture has been building more generally. Even in the games we win, we often have difficultly closing them out in a comprehensive way. if you can't go out onto the field confident, you've got no hope.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I thought we had the worst under performing halve pairing in the comp at The Dragons....but you blokes are right up there with us.....Croft, Milford, Hunt and Norman are all over paid and under performing...to much money for little return imo...one concelation at least you dont have McGregor ...hopefully we wont have him soon.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Milford is certainly overpaid.

Croft we got pretty cheap I think. Behind a beaten pack he hasn't gone terribly, and if Boyd/Milf could catch he would have a few try assists.

Milf hasn't been earning his huge $$$ for years. And I don't care if he won Bronco of the year, it's not a high benchmark.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I thought we had the worst under performing halve pairing in the comp at The Dragons....but you blokes are right up there with us.....Croft, Milford, Hunt and Norman are all over paid and under performing...to much money for little return imo...one concelation at least you dont have McGregor ...hopefully we wont have him soon.

It's ironic since at one point Hunt/Norman were identified as our long term halves. Seems like both directions turned out shitty...

renouf

Juniors
You'd have to question why Mccullough was let go, and then why we keep persisting with Boyd.

Latest posts