What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs. Newcastle Knights

Big Pete

Referee
Newcastle Knights vs. Brisbane Broncos
Central Coast Stadium, Thursday 18 June 2020
Kick Off 7:50pm

TL-NEW20.png

1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Edrick Lee 3. Enari Tuala 4. Bradman Best 5. Hymel Hunt 6. Kurt Mann 7. Mitchell Pearce 8. David Klemmer 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Daniel Saifiti 11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 12. Sione Mata'utia 13. Herman Ese'ese

Interchange: 14. Tex Hoy 15. Jacob Saifiti 16. Tim Glasby 17. Aidan Guerra

Reserves: 18. Gehamat Shibasaki 19. Pasami Saulo 20. Phoenix Crossland 21. Starford To'a

TL-BRI20.png

1. Jamayne Isaako 2. Corey Oates 3. Herbie Farnworth 4. Darius Boyd 5. Xavier Coates 6. Anthony Milford 7. Brodie Croft 8. Matthew Lodge 9. Cory Paix 10. Payne Haas 11. Alex Glenn 12. Tevita Pangai Junior 13. Patrick Carrigan

Interchange: 14. Tesi Niu 15. Ben Te'o 16. Joe Ofahengaue 17. Thomas Flegler

Reserves: 18. Issac Luke 19. Rhys Kennedy 20. Tom Dearden 21. Jamil Hopoate

Big Pete

Referee
It's two steps forward and one big step back for the Broncos. On the plus side, they finally get a couple of edge forwards back in Alex Glenn and TPJ. That should at least tighten the defence and in the case of Pangai Jr give the Broncos some more punch on the edge.

Unfortunately they've lost Staggs for the next 4-6 weeks after he strained his hamstring at training. He's been by far the Broncos most potent attacking option and even on the weekend made a big difference down that right edge, either scoring tries or forcing important set restarts.

Issac Luke is named at 18, but I expect to see him on the bench in place of Niu. That will be a huge inclusion and should make life easier for Paix who has just been thrown into the deep end and offered very little protection from the coach. It's hurt the Broncos through out the past two weeks, especially in last week's loss against Manly when he spilled a simple offload from Milf and threw a forward pass to invite Manly back into it.

It's difficult to see a win here. Newcastle are one of the better teams this year and will be licking their lips at that right edge of the Broncos. Brisbane will really have to start strong and Pangai will have to make up for lost time.

renouf

Juniors
Wish they'd get rid of the coach, these players come up with some of the dumbest plays you'll see on a footy field

blue bags

First Grade
at least complete the sets they are given. mistake free,
be more organized in defence. a few knights tries should never had happened,
very soft tries , rock solid defence these must always be done
you get the basics rock solid, then you can go a few more steps

Nerd

Bench
This is getting monotonously depressing. Again just way too much dropped ball. We can whine about the ref but we are never going to get an equal amount of penalties or 6 agains without the ball. Farnsworth looked ok in the centres so when Staggs comes back maybe switch him to left centre and dump Boyd. Milford was playing behind a beaten pack but Siebold must be thinking about giving Dearden a run in the halves and benching Milford. At the moment we are wooden spoon material and everyone including the CEO should be on notice that this isn't acceptable.

Big Pete

Referee
The scoreline flattered the Broncos, that was even worse than their effort against the Roosters.

They looked out of it from the opening whistle. Pangai tried to inspire them with that big hit on Klemmer, but as soon as they were asked to dig deep and defend a couple of sets they stopped working for one another.

They were looking for soft options, loose handed carries looking for offloads when they just needed to get themselves into the game.

Even after a disasterous start, the Knights invited them back into it with that long range intercept, but they were checked out.

The Saifiti try signalled the end of the game, I thought Farnworth, Carrigan, Coates etc. all had a crack but the rest couldn't wait until the full-time siren.

They're a rabble of a team at the moment, I couldn't even tip them against the Titans the way they're going.

gUt

Coach
We're the most penalised team in the comp apparently (not including 6-agains) but it's hard to blame that the way we drop the ball and/or do nothing else with it.

blaza88z

Coach
That try Saifiti scored against us, that was just embarrassing.

I don't know how it changes if we are conceding tries like that, bring in whoever you want.

Big Pete

Referee
We're the most penalised team in the comp apparently (not including 6-agains) but it's hard to blame that the way we drop the ball and/or do nothing else with it.

Absolutely the buck stops at the Broncos.They need to get themselves in the game, play some positive footy even if it's just tip ons or playing towards the edges and defend your line like your life depends on it. Numbers in the tackle, one low, one high and one ready for the offload.

Vary the kicking game up, aim for some more deft kicks, don't be afraid to let the centres or fullback kick it on the fringes. For grubbers, try to go two passes long to bring the defence forward and create gaps for your half to kick into.

The boys need to do some extras at training and a lot of them need to adjust their diets. We need to get them leaner and more agile. A couple of gut-busting sessions early, we work on a few set-plays in the lead up to the game, and everybody is working on their passing game. We need some speed on those cut-out passes to get around the defence.

I think the Broncos are capable of a lot more. Currently they're just making life too hard for themselves and they get a couple of calls go against them and they panic. They start turning balls over, so they go in their shells and they don't come back because the defence is all over them. They just need some belief and need to start fresh.

I don't consider them specials at all against the Gold Coast, but at least it's an even match up. They started the return back against four of the best teams in the competition, with new interpretations, injuries out the wazoo and it's just been too difficult for them. They desperately need some belief and they can only get that through winning.

I don't think tearing the squad apart and playing more rookies is the answer, which is what a lot of fans are suggesting on the other site.

Last edited:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Absolutely he buck stops at the Broncos.They need to get themselves in the game, play some positive footy even if it's just tip ons or playing towards the edges and defend your line like your life depends on it. Numbers in the tackle, one low, one high and one ready for the offload.

Vary the kicking game up, aim for some more deft kicks, don't be afraid to let the centres or fullback kick it on the fringes. For grubbers, try to go two passes long to bring the defence forward and create gaps for your half to kick into.

The boys need to do some extras at training and a lot of them need to adjust their diets. We need to get them leaner and more agile. A couple of gut-busting sessions early, we work on a few set-plays in the lead up to the game, and everybody is working on their passing game. We need some speed on those cut-out passes to get around the defence.

I think the Broncos are capable of a lot more. Currently they're just making life too hard for themselves and they get a couple of calls go against them and they panic. They start turning balls over, so they go in their shells and they don't come back because the defence is all over them. They just need some belief and need to start fresh.

I don't consider them specials at all against the Gold Coast, but at least it's an even match up. They started the return back against four of the best teams in the competition, with new interpretations, injuries out the wazoo and it's just been too difficult for them. They desperately need some belief and they can only get that through winning.

I don't think tearing the squad apart and playing more rookies is the answer, which is what a lot of fans are suggesting on the other site.

Can you please take over the coaching for rest of the season? Seriously I am not joking.