What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs. Titans Discussion + Voting

AceAv

Juniors
I am still worried about Barba. He just doesn't seem to have the speed or confidence in his running, so we need to get the wins rolling in again and see him improve over the weeks. Not expecting any more than a couple decent plays from him.

Blockade

Juniors
Meh, I think both teams will be playing conservatively tonight.

U were spot on with the low scoreline, unfortunately I picked the winner, I am growing tired of watching this current version of the Broncos, things won't change until Hook is shown the door.

Nightward

Juniors
Well, that last game has firmed up my suspicions of the Broncos being pretenders rather than contenders. The low scores in the matches they lost so far have been extremely flattering to them; the deficiencies are quite glaring.

Persisting with Hannant and Kennedy is doomed to failure. Hannant had a much better game this time than he has for a while, but he needs to be performing consistently at a higher level. McGuire turned in a lionhearted (ie, completely normal for him) game but without the support of decent props the Broncos are going nowhere. The bench has utterly failed to deliver the impact needed; Kennedy at least should be dropped, Hala needs to be on the bench, and Hannant's input could probably be matched by a Queensland Cup forward. Probably bettered.

Griffin's "back-rowers, back-rowers everywhere" selection methods have failed again on the wings. Vidot had a good game and stopped Dave Taylor one on one at full pace so I'd be loath to exile him just for playing out of position. Dale Copely's efforts were abysmal; as a winger he should be able to position himself and have the pace to go after breakaway players like David Meade; instead, it was left to McGuire and Thaiday to try and chase him down. Even if Copely was uninjured and unencumbered he still would not have done much, if any, better; his total lack of commitment was extremely disappointing.

Which brings us to the final problem. Last year, fading in the final quarter cost us badly, and with a new fitness regime I had hoped these issues would be resolved. Fitness doesn't seem to be as much of an issue this year, but there seems to be a major brain fade after the 60 minute mark after which the lack of mental application results in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

They'll probably make the final eight this year. But barring some major positional changes (Hoffman to wing, Vidot to second row, Gillett to five-eighth, Hannant and Kennedy gone sort of thing) they are probably going to deliver just enough to get Griffin another year while they wait for Millford and console themselves with the thought that next year might be better.

I would love to eat my words. But I'm seeing the same old, same old from the Broncos right now.

McGuire: 3
Hunt: 2
McCullough: 1
Everyone else but Parker: -infinity

Nerd

Bench
Another game lost that we should have won. Barba must be one bad game away from the QLD Cup. The guy is just lacking confidence at the moment.

I know the Titans are leading the comp but I don't know how many more games they can win relying on intercepts and dropped bombs to score trys.

Bull Bailey should be cited for his trip on Hodges. Is the guy now that slow that he's had to stoop to tripping?

3. Thaiday
2. McGuire
1. Gillett

Kiwi

First Grade
Could this be the end of Griffin? If the same side is selected next week and the idiot continues to use 16 players he has to go.

As for the players

3 - Hunt
2 - McCullough
1 - McGuire

I thought Parker, Glenn, and Thaiday also had good games.

Kennedy and Lawrie need to be dropped

blaza88z

Coach
I honestly don't know how we lost tonight, we dominated field position had far more better opportunities to score

They scored twice, one off a Ben Hunt grubber gone wrong.. he runs 100 metres to score, the other a bomb from 20-30 metres out, bounces very very fortuitously (basically bounces on its point and goes 1-2 metres forward) and it gets plucked from Barba's arms and they score

I can understand if we get beaten trying to execute our plays and we just aren't good enough but I am sure as shit that our set play out the back isn't to let Hoffman run on his own and lose the ball over the line, he has to go.

I can forgive Hunt for his poor grubber that let to a try to the Titans, he was attempting to build pressure which is what we lack I can forgive that, I can't forgive a 5/8 playing like a Winger and denying us any chance of scoring every time he tries to be the hero with the ball in his hands.

Last week we were beaten by a team who wanted it more, tonight we were beaten by a team who scores 2 tries with a large degree of luck involved in each.

Someone has to be sent to QLD cup, I don't care who but if this coach is fair dinkum sure he can acknowledge what we're doing right now just isn't working and it's not going to work until players are on notice.

Kiwi

First Grade
I honestly don't know how we lost tonight, we dominated field position had far more better opportunities to score

They scored twice, one off a Ben Hunt grubber gone wrong.. he runs 100 metres to score, the other a bomb from 20-30 metres out, bounces very very fortuitously (basically bounces on its point and goes 1-2 metres forward) and it gets plucked from Barba's arms and they score

I can understand if we get beaten trying to execute our plays and we just aren't good enough but I am sure as shit that our set play out the back isn't to let Hoffman run on his own and lose the ball over the line, he has to go.

I can forgive Hunt for his poor grubber that let to a try to the Titans, he was attempting to build pressure which is what we lack I can forgive that, I can't forgive a 5/8 playing like a Winger and denying us any chance of scoring every time he tries to be the hero with the ball in his hands.

Last week we were beaten by a team who wanted it more, tonight we were beaten by a team who scores 2 tries with a large degree of luck involved in each.

Someone has to be sent to QLD cup, I don't care who but if this coach is fair dinkum sure he can acknowledge what we're doing right now just isn't working and it's not going to work until players are on notice.
Kodi has to partner Hunt next week, if Hoffman is in the 6 we will lose again. He keeps killing our attack

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Massive opportunity missed lord know where we will be on the ladder after this round.
Worst game from Hodges in a long time.
Barba doesn't want to catch anything and looks very slow for some reason.
Look I know hunt was trying to get a repeat set but he kicked it straight to mead ffs.
Anyway may be time to review Griffins contract.
Thiaday3
Gillett 2
Parker 1

lockyno1

Post Whore
This is why I HATED winning early as Griffin was proven 'right' when in fact Hoffman butchered movement after movement!

Maroon4life

Juniors
Not too torn apart about the loss. This will place more pressure on Griffin, it will all add up to what will eventually be a termination of his contract.

It's been said so many times, this team will achieve nothing this year with Hoffman playing at #6. That decision alone should be Griffin's hanging offence.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Scratch that, Bronco's wont achieve anything with Hoffman in the team. This kid is a cancer, offload him to whoever will take him ASAP.

Nightward

Juniors
Not too torn apart about the loss. This will place more pressure on Griffin, it will all add up to what will eventually be a termination of his contract.

It's been said so many times, this team will achieve nothing this year with Hoffman playing at #6. That decision alone should be Griffin's hanging offence.

The problem is, who do we replace Griffin with? NRL-level coaches are a bit of a rare commodity. Until Neil Henry signed with the Titans there was at least someone with experience available if it really came down to it, but right now all we could do is promote Kearny as a caretaker coach. I think Kearny is a better coach than the Eels allowed him to demonstrate, but I don't think he's the man to turn the Broncos around.

There's a rumour around the traps that once Bennet's current contract finishes up he will come back and serve as a mentor for the coach rather than coaching himself, but for now Griffin's the best we've got.

I mean, surely the Broncos couldn't be dumb enough/desperate enough to sign Matt Elliot.

Surely.

Right?

ranga68

Juniors
Barba Hodges played really well for Gold Coast. hodges has been shit since coming back. Barba needs to go back to cup. Hoffy to fullback Kahu to 5/8.glen to the bench Hannat starting with McGuire. Parker back to lock.

3 McGuire for his tireless effort and the chase on med
2 Macca for his defence
1 Vidot

Country Bronco

Juniors
Griffin's "back-rowers, back-rowers everywhere" selection methods have failed again on the wings. Vidot had a good game and stopped Dave Taylor one on one at full pace so I'd be loath to exile him just for playing out of position. Dale Copely's efforts were abysmal; as a winger he should be able to position himself and have the pace to go after breakaway players like David Meade; instead, it was left to McGuire and Thaiday to try and chase him down. Even if Copely was uninjured and unencumbered he still would not have done much, if any, better; his total lack of commitment was extremely disappointing.

Bit harsh on Copley when it was hunt who put the ill directed grubber in and of course meads brilliance and speed to score a sensational try.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
The problem is, who do we replace Griffin with?

IGO_23-10-2010_SPORT_01_waltersGO_fct501x308_t460.jpg

Leagueaddict

Juniors
No Maranta= we will win!

I'd rather have had Maranta at full back for the last coupe of games. Get over your pet hates and give credit where credits due. Maranta's not a "star" player by any stretch of the imagination but the guy at least gives his all and is at least safe under the high ball.

Anyway another one goes by the wayside. Great defence most of the night but fundamental errors from Hodges and a fragile fullback and a nothing special kicking game didn't help the cause. Besides some of his kicks I thought Hunt had a really good game. Most of our forwards stood up but not sure about Kennedy and Hannant adding the impact we need. Why isn't Hala at least on the bench?
Vidot, Copley still playing strong. Hoffman still out of position - should be on the wing yadda yadda. Another game lost in the last 10 minutes where no amount of beer helped get us get the points.

3. McGuire
2. Hunt
1. Thaiday

hellteam

First Grade
1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Vidot
6. Nikorama
7. Hunt

Would like to see this back line next week. Probably would be best if barba and Hoffman switched around in defence, barba just hasn't been good enough under the high ball