What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs Warriors

getsmarty

Immortal
tl_web.jpg

DRAGONS

NRL team announcement: Round 6 v Warriors
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 13 Apr 2021, 12:00 AM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin has named his mandatory 21-man squad ahead of the Dragons' Round 6 clash against the Warriors at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium on Sunday, April 18.

The Dragons have named an unnamed 17 following their 26-12 win over the Parramatta Eels last weekend, although new recruit Josh McGuire has been named on the extended interchange.

A second milestone in two weeks beckons for Trent Merrin, who is set to feature in his 250th first grade game.

NRL squad for Round 6 v Warriors –

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by EFEX
2. Cody Ramsey – sponsored by Aspec Masonry
3. Jack Bird – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Floormania
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by TripADeal
7. Adam Clune – sponsored by Narellan Pools Illawarra
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Gym Solutions
9. Andrew McCullough (c) – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by Fox and Jones
11. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Sneaky Burger
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Modus Projects
13. Tyrell Fuimaono – sponsored by TLE Alexandria

Interchange:
14. Kaide Ellis – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
15. Trent Merrin – sponsored by Manna from Heaven
16. Daniel Alvaro – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
17. Brayden Wiliame – sponsored by Deicorp
18. Jackson Ford – sponsored by TLE Alexandria
19. Billy Burns
20. Josh McGuire
21. Jordan Pereira

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/04/13/nrl-team-announcement-round-6-v-warriors/

getsmarty

Immortal

WARRIORS

Behind enemy lines: Round 6 v Warriors
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 13 Apr 2021, 04:01 PM
Share on social media
The New Zealand Warriors have named their mandatory 21-man squad ahead of the Round 6 clash against the St George Illawarra Dragons at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium on Sunday, April 18.

Two front-line players return from injury and suspension to help captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck mark his 100th match for the Warriors.

Prop Bunty Afoa – back from suspension – as well as veteran centre Peta Hiku will returns after a two-game absence with a knee complaint.

David Fusitu’a, Eliesa Katoa and Bayley Sironen are all on the sidelines for Round 6. Coming into the second row is Josh Curran with prop Jamayne Taunoa-Brown – back from a three-match suspension – included on the extended bench.

New Zealand Warriors NRL squad for Round 6 v St George Illawarra Dragons –
1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. Pete Hiku
3. Adam Pompey
4. Marcelo Montoya
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Kodi Nikorima
7. Sean O'Sullivan
8. Leeson Ah Mau
9. Wayde Egan
10. Tohu Harris
11. Josh Curran
12. Jack Murchie
13. Jazz Tevaga

Interchange:
14. Ben Murdoch-Masila
15.Bunty Afoa
16. Kane Evans
17. Paul Turner
18. Rocco Berry
19. Tom Ale
20. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown
21. Taniela Otukolo

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/04/13/behind-enemy-lines-round-6-v-warriors/

Old Timer

Coach
Team list is out and Blockers named with Moose on the extended bench.

Hook is giving nothing away this early in the week.

getsmarty

Immortal
Grub' McGuire to bring mongrel to Dragons
play
5:57 PM AEST
  • AAP
St George Illawarra have already stunned the NRL with their form but Josh McGuire is set to add the mongrel they've been missing after his signing was made official.

The Dragons made the announcement after reaching an agreement with North Queensland, who released the 31-year-old with immediate effect.

Trent Merrin has been his NRL adversary for years but is relieved to finally be on the same side as the ex-Australia and Queensland forward he calls "a bit of a grub".

The pair were on the representative circuit for the Kangaroos but never played in the same side, and clashed just twice at Origin level in 2015.

Josh McGuire of the Cowboys is tackled by the Storm defence. Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images
"Old Moosey, we've had some good battles over the years," Merrin said.

"He's definitely going to add some mongrel to this team, we need a bit of that on the field.

"He's a bit of a grub too.

"He's a champion bloke though, he's played all styles of rep footy.

"To get a guy of that calibre into our squad, especially with the way we've been going, he'll add a lot to the team."

The two have 454 NRL games between them and will form a huge part of the experienced pack Anthony Griffin has built at the Dragons this season.

"It's important to have some seniority around the place, we've got some exciting young blokes in the team but to have the presence of blokes who have played over 200 first grade teams (is important)," Merrin said.

"It's a good feeling and a good mix of the playing group."

Under Griffin's guidance, the Dragons have started the season in hot form with four wins from five games including last week's victory over Parramatta.

McGuire is set to join his new teammates on Wednesday and could be named in the side to face the Warriors on Sunday.

However, that will be dependent on his health after missing Sunday's game for the Cowboys with an infection that had him hospitalised through the week.

https://www.espn.com/nrl/story/_/id...ire-bring-mongrel-st-george-illawarra-dragons

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Our depth is looking so much more solid now. Who would have thought you'd feel safe with guys like Alvaro and Ellis.... Even Merrin to an extent.

McGuire comes straight into that 17, likely for Merrin, but if Blocker is out then he'll take his spot. This is also great for us because McGuire's output is excellent, always puts in for whatever jersey he's wearing.

HenryTatana

Juniors
If we underestimate the Warriors like teams have to us, we will lose.
Will we be able to maintain the intensity from the last fortnight?
I'm sure Hook has this covered. Unlike McClown who couldn't get them up for any game, the most notable being the last round in 201? When we had to beat the Dogs to make the semis. All the f**kwit was worried about was sending Graeme out a winner in his last game for the mongrels before he joined us.

getsmarty

Immortal
mcguirej-210320_sd_07_2021320205512.jpg

DRAGONS

Dragons welcome McGuire 'mongrel' after rep star joins Griffin's revolution
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 13 Apr 2021, 06:33 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Share on social media
St George Illawarra players are excited about the edge Josh McGuire will add to their forward pack after the former Kangaroos and Maroons forward finalised a mid-season transfer from North Queensland.

McGuire will join the Dragons on Wednesday after signing until the end of the 2022 season and has been named in coach Anthony Griffin's 21-man squad for Sunday’s match against the Warriors, alongside fellow new signing Billy Burns.

“Where he fits in I am not too sure,” second-rower Josh Kerr said. “We are obviously on a winning streak so we are going pretty well but Hook might have to have a tough conversation with someone or he might just have to earn his way in.”

However, Kerr and former Blues forward Trent Merrin, who has had a number of run-ins with McGuire in Origin, said he would be a welcome addition to the Red V squad.

remote.axd

Get Caught Up: Round 5 must-see moments

Get Caught Up: Round 5 must-see moments

“He has got the mongrel about him, he has got that seniority and he has played rep footy so he is a great player to have in your team,” Merrin said.

Kerr, who was a member of last year’s Queensland Origin squad, grew up watching McGuire play for the Maroons

“I used to watch him on TV and I used to think, ‘we have got Josh McGuire, we have got a bit of mongrel in the pack’. I think that’s why Hook has got him,” Kerr said.

Griffin coached McGuire at Brisbane, and recently added Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough to the St George Illawarra squad, which also includes their former team-mates Ben Hunt and Corey Norman.

The Dragons stunned Parramatta last Sunday night to move into the top four after four consecutive wins and confidence within the team is sky high after the inclusion of McGuire and Burns, who has moved into a spare room at his sister’s place near WIN Stadium after transferring from Penrith.

“It is interesting to see the Broncos old team come back together at the Dragons but it is good," Kerr said. "The blokes Hook has bought in have done a tremendous job and I am enjoying my football more than I ever have.

"Hook knows what he can do and he is going to bring that bit of mongrel to the team. As long as he wants to jump in with the culture I am all for it."

Merrin said: “I actually loved playing against Josh, to be honest. I’ve always enjoyed our battles over the years, but it would be a lot better with him in the team. I know what sort of player we are getting and I am excited for it."

Meanwhile, Burns said he had agreed to a swap deal involving prop Eddie Blacker moving to Penrith from St George Illawarra for the opportunity to play alongside experienced stars like Hunt, Norman, McCullough and McGuire.

remote.axd

Defy impossible: The leap

Defy impossible: The leap

“I reckon big things will come to this club,” Burns said. “I have only been here a week but it is quite a hungry group and it is good to see that there are a few old heads, but they are still zeroed in on succeeding and helping the young boys in the squad.

“I think the oldest player at Penrith was Api [Koroisau], who is 28, so it is a good opportunity for me to learn off them about the way they prep and the way they play.”

NRL Magic Round Brisbane 1-Day Passes are now on sale with eight massive games across round 10 at Suncorp Stadium this May. With the league's best players all heading to Brisbane, you'd hate to miss it! Tickets at NRL.com/Tickets.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/13...rel-after-rep-star-joins-griffins-revolution/

getsmarty

Immortal
2021-r06_7-sgi-v-war.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

Dragons v Warriors: McGuire straight into squad; Hiku, Afoa new to 17
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Tue 13 Apr 2021, 04:01 PM
Share on social media
The Dragons have every right to feel good about themselves heading into Sunday's meeting with the Warriors.

After starting the season outside of most people's top eights, new coach Anthony Griffin has got everyone headed in the right direction. They've won four in a row to be sitting in fourth spot.

A feature of their surge has been the play of their forwards. That unit will be put to a stern test against the Warriors.

A last-minute loss to Manly last weekend is something they'll want to make amends for pretty quickly.

Dragons v Warriors /

Match: Dragons v Warriors

Round 6 - Sunday 18th April

2:00pm

Home Team

Dragons

4th Position

Away Team

Warriors

10th Position

Venue: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Sydney

Match broadcasters:

• Kayo
  • Foxtel
Buy Tickets
The rundown
Team news
Dragons: Coach Anthony Griffin has named an unchanged 17 following the upset win over Parramatta.

New recruit Josh McGuire is named after his move from the Cowboys and Billy Burns joins him in the reserves with Kaide Ellis and Max Feagai dropping out of the squad.

Halfback and captain Ben Hunt is hoping to return from a leg fracture in round eight.

Warriors: Peta Hiku (knee) earns a recall and takes the place of winger David Fusitu'a, who suffered a hamstring injury in the narrow loss to Manly, while Marcelo Montoya has been named after copping a head knock at Central Coast Stadium.

Josh Curran gets a start in the second row with Eliesa Kotoa dropping out of the squad.

Bunty Afoa and Jamayne Taunua-Brown are available after serving suspensions with Afoa scoring a spot on the interchange, replacing Tom Ale, and Taunua-Brown being named in the reserves.

Key match-up
Corey Norman v Kodi Nikorima: Both are potential match-winners on their day. Norman has benefited from the strong play of his forwards so far this year, while Nikorima has had to readjust to the loss of halves partner Chanel Harris-Tavita to injury and the arrival of Sean O'Sullivan.

Stat attack
The Dragons have averaged 18 dummy-half runs per match over the opening five rounds - the most in the NRL. The Warriors average just eight per match.

Head to NRL Pick'Em and get pickin’ to win a share of $100,000 cash every week!

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/12...t-and-healthy-afoa-taunua-brown-free-to-play/

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I’d rest blocka if he isn’t 100%.
Start with Vaughan and Alvaro.
Bench of:
Ellis
Merrin
Williame
McGuire.
Ford 18th man.
Keep Kerr on the edge, playing out of his skin so don’t move him. Same with Fui.
Yep I agree re Kerr and Fui....both seem very comfortable and effective in that position....and besides to swap players around for 1 player missing would be pointless...then again I keep forgetting Hooks in charge now not the painter

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
For anyone who saw our Rava monster several Eels' players on Sunday imagine how I felt when I saw him charging towards me on his pushie on the beachfront path near North Beach, Wollongong, this arvo. I just had time to jump out of his way and call out, "Great win Sunday! Loving your work under the high ball!" before he was gone on his way. I wanted to say how much I loved his big hits too but he was gone too fast. However he did turn his head back with a great big grin on his face and gave me a "thumbs up"!

Gotta love this big Fijian and the sheer joy he shows and his mates share when he scores. Such a great improver since mid-season 2020. The better he gets the more Dragons' fans he'll attract to our games.

denis preston

First Grade
For anyone who saw our Rava monster several Eels' players on Sunday imagine how I felt when I saw him charging towards me on his pushie on the beachfront path near North Beach, Wollongong, this arvo. I just had time to jump out of his way and call out, "Great win Sunday! Loving your work under the high ball!" before he was gone on his way. I wanted to say how much I loved his big hits too but he was gone too fast.
I hear he is hard of hearing so you may have dodged a bullet there DS2.

kit66

Bench
If anyone was at risk of losing there bench spot to McGuire you’d think that Merrin might be that guy.
That’s not to say that Merrin hasn’t been solid.

I'd say Ellis who only got a run because of Po's poor form. His efforts in reggies so far this year aren't the reason he was promoted, or I hope not because he's been very ordinary.