What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 vs. Parramatta Eels Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Parramatta Eels vs. Brisbane Broncos
TIO Stadium, Friday 23 April 2021
Kick Off: 8:05pm

PARRAMATTA-2021.png

1. Clinton Gutherson 2. Maika Sivo 3. Tom Opacic 4. Marata Niukore 5. Blake Ferguson 6. Dylan Brown 7. Mitchell Moses 8. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 9. Reed Mahoney 10. Junior Paulo 11. Shaun Lane 12. Isaiah Papali'i 13. Nathan Brown

Interchange: 14. Oregon Kaufusi 15. Will Smith16. Wiremu Greig 17. Bryce Cartwright

Reserves: 18. Haze Dunster 19. Jordan Rankin 20. Keegan Hipgrave 21. Ryan Matterson

BRISBANE-2021.png

1. Jamayne Isaako 2. Xavier Coates 3. Herbie Farnworth 4. David Mead 5. Corey Oates 6. Brodie Croft 7. Tom Dearden 8. Matthew Lodge 9. Jake Turpin 10. Payne Haas 11. Alex Glenn 12. Tevita Pangai Junior 13. Patrick Carrigan

Interchange:
14. Danny Levi 15. Thomas Flegler 16. Ethan Bullemor 17. Jordan Riki

Reserves: 18. Rhys Kennedy 19. Tyson Gamble 20. John Asiata 21. Jesse Arthars​

Last edited:

Bronco18

Juniors
Hopefully a rest for Turpin livens him up.

For some reason he’s lost a bit of spark in his running game, maybe with an interchange hooker and a spell on the bench he won’t have to worry about pacing himself.

Big Pete

Referee
It's just a matter of whether or not they can build on last week's performance.

The Broncos played to the best of their ability last week but still fell short. Jamayne Isaako, Corey Oates, Tevita Pangai Jr, Jake Turpin, Matt Lodge, Brodie Croft etc. all played well but they're not consistent players and that's the challenge being able to back that challenge against another quality team.

While I'm not a fan of Levi and I'm not happy with giving him a roster spot, hopefully it gives the Broncos some more potency around the ruck. Turpin has clearly been pacing himself to play the 80 and his service has been awful at times. Levi isn't really great in that regard either but in short bursts he probably is an upgrade on Paix who really is just a half moonlighting as a dummy half.

I think it's going to be a different game from Round 1. I don't think the Eels will give Brisbane the start like last time and I can't see the Broncos throwing the ball around. I think they'll try to bash the Eels and will target Ferguson and Sivo all night with bombs and try to score off of that. It'll come down to some individual brilliance from Pangai Jr to score points. I think a lot was made of the offloads and how Brisbane didn't capitilise on them, so I expect that Farnworth will receive some early ball.

Nerd

Bench
Well looks like we are back to the bumbling Broncos. Nearly every Eels try was off one of our errors. For the first 15 minutes we hung onto the ball and went alright and for about 20 minutes in the second half the same but the rest was just unforced error followed by another error followed by a bad decision.

This short drop outs just isn't working and really should only be used once or twice a year not once or twice a game. On Isaako I just don't think he has what it takes to be fullback. He is not good at taking bombs and seems to have a mistake in him which isn't what you want from your fullback.

Interesting to note that with Milford gone our left hand side defence has tightened up which is just the opposite on our right side who look like they just met for the first time tonight.

Someone needs to tell Xavier Coates to just mark up on his winger and if the inside defence can't take their man that's not his problem. Him following in his centre just isn't working and every team knows it.

Big Pete

Referee
It was a horror night for them.

They lose their captain in the warm up and on the first play of the game turn it over. Then on the first defensive set they concede a really soft try to put themselves behind the 8-ball. They hung in there and when Isaako capitilised on that Opacic error it seemed like they were going to take the lead until that ungodly error from Levi. That was a horrible first impression from the new recruit and it led to the Broncos folding like a pack of cards. It was over right before half-time and the second half really was just an exhibition for Parramatta.

An enjoyable night for them but an absolutely miserable performance for the Broncos.

At least there weren't any other injuries but it was the typical story. They look OK going through the middle but they just don't apply any pressure and make far too many costly mistakes when it matters.

For instance the key play seemed to be trying to target Dylan Brown with Jordan Riki but it was easily covered everytime. The backs never get any good ball and defensively they're just extremely sloppy.

Big Pete

Referee
Will the Broncos ever recruit Sam Scarlett?

Sam Scarlett was on the books from 2016-18 but it just never worked out. He could be an option as a development player later in the season and I wouldn't mind it. I'd certainly prefer it over Karmichael Hunt which seems to be a pie in the sky type of selection.

Latest posts