1. Round 9 Edition OUT NOW:

The Round 9 issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and NRL match programme for is out now!

This week Andrew Ferguson shares an incredible piece detailing the birthplaces of rugby league and its clubs in Sydney. As always, we have the full program for the coming weekend's action across NRL, NSWRL and QRL with a wrap-up of the weekend just gone.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 9 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Round 7 vs Roosters

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by getsmarty, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Crush

Crush First Grade

What a difference a week makes. This time last week I was confident we would win our next month of football.
    Now I am nervous.
    Must win 2 of 4 to stay in touch.
    I would love to beat Roosters but just feel the timing is off, they’ll be on fire this Sunday.

2. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

Let’s wait mickey and smash them in the semis , I assure you that will have you feeling even better .

3. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

Yes David , they are an excellent team that seem to have no weaknesses whatsoever in them . Their pure determination to destroy the opposition can only be matched by that team from Sin City in the very south of the country .

However the Panthers , IMO are the better of the two and should they meet once again in this years G.F. I believe that the outcome will be entirely different to that of last season.

Now after saying all of that hogwash I am not writing off the Dragons chances either - just yet . :relaxed:

Gomarchin, ALSGI and Dragon David like this.
  4. Dragon David

Dragon David Juniors

It could very well be the same two playing in the G/F this year but the result reversed - would be a good, hard game. One query though is whether or not Ivan Cleary has a curse for not winning G/F's as a coach.
    Just like so many that have tried - for example Brian Smith.

Gareth67 likes this.
  5. randomdragon

randomdragon Juniors

Not sure why people on this forum are so mysterious and pretend to know things others don’t? The player is Dylan brown and he’s unaware he was being filmed

Revesby boy likes this.
  6. st.phil

st.phil Bench

Anyone know if Benny Hunt is looking likely?

7. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

Could very well be , however there seems to be so much more intent in the Panthers this season and whether or not Cleary can do the deed , then I am sure that the players will in his stead .

Just on a side note , I have noticed that Penrith are employing the same tactics - almost - as the Storm . There was a tackle on Tyson Fizzell where he gather the ball and immediately went to ground , but that did not stop 2 panthers coming in ( 1 late ) and holding him down when he was already stationary .

Of course the ref could see no fault in that and allowed the panthers to get away with it , even although he was prevented from playing the ball , teams used to be penalized for that , but not anymore apparently .

Got me beat ? :thinking:

Dragon David, blacksafake and Walpole like this.
  8. Walpole

Walpole Juniors

We'll probably get penalised for it twice this weekend, just to make up for it.

9. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

Too bluudy late now Walpole ! You have gone and put the hex on the Dragons , I can just see the carnage now , penalty after penalty - more so after Robinson’s yearly pilgrimage to the Judiciary before each Anzac Day game .

Dragon David and Walpole like this.
  10. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

Lest we forget: Roosters and Dragons legends remember Anzac Day
    Since its inception in 2002, the Anzac Day match between the Sydney Roosters and St George Illawarra Dragons has become one of the most significant occasions on the NRL calendar. Some of the legends from the two clubs including Brad Fittler, Ben Hornby, Anthony Minichiello and Jamie Soward share their memories of playing in the match

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/20/lest-we-forget-roosters-and-dragons-legends-remember-anzac-day/

blacksafake likes this.
  11. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

12. SBD82

SBD82 Coach

This thread is a dumpster fire.

13. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

But I’ve barely posted in it

blacksafake and TruSaint like this.
  14. SBD82

SBD82 Coach

And yet...

Here we are.

TruSaint likes this.
  15. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

Along with a sin bin to go with it.

Forbes Creek Dragons and redv13 like this.
  16. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

Dragons coach weighs in on fate of skipper Ben Hunt ahead of ANZAC clash
    4 hours ago
    James Willis
    ANTHONY GRIFFINBEN HUNTrugby league featured
    [​IMG]
    St George Illawarra Dragons coach Anthony Griffin has told James Willis he’s still unsure if his captain will be fit to play on Sunday.

Ben Hunt is definitely eager to play the ANZAC Day game, Griffin confirmed, but he and the medical team won’t take any risks.

“We’ll have a look at him tomorrow, we’ll give him every chance to play.

“He’s back running now, and has been for a couple of weeks, so he’s touch and go.”

https://www.2gb.com/dragons-coach-weighs-in-on-fate-of-skipper-ben-hunt-ahead-of-anzac-clash/

17. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Bench

If he is I hope he’s ready, we don’t need him back today only to be out for another 6 weeks. I’d rather him get it right, especially with Sullivan also out.

18. Inisai Toga

Inisai Toga Juniors

If he’s right and they’d know, i’d play him. We need him!

19. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Bench

If Norman and Clune can’t outplay Walker and Hutchison I certainly wouldn’t be re signing Norman. Clune and Hutchison both have their own strengths and weaknesses but if by this stage of his career Norman can’t outplay an 18 year old kid in an Anzac game he’s not what we need. In saying that I would have loved to have seen Sullivan and Walker go up against each other if it panned out that way.

Dragons4me, redv13 and Dragon David like this.
  20. Inisai Toga

Inisai Toga Juniors

Fair enough but Clune actually lines up against the 18 year old not Norman... Even so, the reason for my “Hunt need him” comment comes the stronger defence that Hunt delivers over our current half. His defence prior to injury was fantastic and we have unfortunately had some misses in this area over the last few weeks, something not lost on Robinson i’m sure.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    blacksafake likes this.