What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 vs Roosters

getsmarty

Immortal
Hunt a chance for Dragons on Anzac Day
Scott BaileyAAP
Sun, 18 April 2021 5:59PM
fa69459868e3dabbae50e0c4e5b540cb4677833a-16x9-x0y0w1280h720.jpg

Ben Hunt is a chance of returning from a leg fracture in time to face the Roosters on Anzac Day. Credit: AAP
Ben Hunt could return for St George Illawarra on Anzac Day, with the star halfback considered "touch-and-go" to face the Sydney Roosters next week.

Hunt hasn't played for the Dragons since fracturing his leg against Manly in round three, with the Saints having got through largely unscathed since then.

But the No.7's direction and composure was missed on Sunday, as the Warriors' put an end to the Saints' early-season march with a 20-14 win at Kogarah.

Hunt is back running at training, with the club set to make a call early in the week on if he will return at the SCG.

"He had a big run yesterday, it's still touch and go," coach Anthony Griffin said.

"He's a chance. But I don't think he's a good chance. But we'll see how he recovers after yesterday."

Hunt's fitness could become even more important after five-eighth Corey Norman hurt his shoulder late in the home loss.

Norman has so far stood up in Hunt's absence, and the Dragons still completed at 85 per cent against a Warriors team that made only one error on Sunday.

But they lost their way at times on the last tackle, and Hunt's inclusion would be significant on the big occasion of Anzac Day against the star-studded Roosters.

The Dragons' loss left them sixth on the ladder, still firmly within the top eight despite starting the season as wooden-spoon favourites.

"When your captain and halfback isn't playing, you'd always like him to be there," Griffin said.

"We did enough to win the game today. We were really clean with the ball too ... But when we made our errors it was at a crucial time once we hit the lead.

"I thought (Norman) was good. He created enough for us there today at different times. He tried to take the line on himself.

"We got lost a little bit on the last plays a couple times but I have been really happy with him.

"When (Ben)' ready, he'll be ready. We had our chances today even when he wasn't there."

Meanwhile Josh McGuire offered plenty of good signs for the Dragons, playing 57 minutes and running for 130 metres just five days after arriving from North Queensland.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-league/hunt-a-chance-for-dragons-on-anzac-day-c-2624483

getsmarty

Immortal
match-centre-bg-large-1736x370.jpg

Telstra Premiership Round 7 Roosters vs Dragons
Telstra Premiership

Match: Roosters vs Dragons
Round 7 - Sunday 25th April

Kick off: 4:05pm
roosters-badge.svg

home Team

Roosters

5th Position

dragons-badge.svg

away Team

Dragons

6th Position

Venue: Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney

Match broadcasters:

Ground Conditions: N/A

Weather: Unknown

Buy Tickets
Stats
Head-to-Head
Sydney Roosters and St. George Illawarra Dragons have played 43 games. Sydney Roosters has won 22 games. St. George Illawarra Dragons has won 20 games. They have drawn 1 game.

Head-To-Head
Since 1998
Played
Won
Drawn
Previous Meetings

Match: Dragons vs Roosters

Thursday 6th August 2020

F ull T ime

home Team

Dragons

Scored 16 points

away Team

Roosters

Scored 24 points

Match: Roosters vs Dragons

Friday 26th June 2020

F ull T ime

home Team

Roosters

Scored 26 points

away Team

Dragons

Scored 12 points

Form Guide
Roosters recent results:
Dragons recent results:
Current Season
Wins this season
67%
4/6
67%
4/6

Points Scored
home Sydney Roosters

away St. George Illawarra Dragons
Points Conceded
home Sydney Roosters

Completion Rate
77%

78%

Tackle Efficiency
88.4%

88.3%

Average Points Scored
home Sydney Roosters

Average Points Conceded
home Sydney Roosters

Average Play The Ball
3.37s
3.7s

Key Stats
Wins at this venue
71%
15/21
57%
8/14

Wins overall
55%

342/620

48%
278/576

https://www.dragons.com.au/draw/nrl-premiership/2021/round-7-roosters-v-dragons/

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Roosters defence will be hard to crack.
With our attack after yesterday to he honest I can't see it troubling them .
Shouldn't rush hunt back,.
Maybe give him another week.
I agree 100% I think we can hang with them defensively but our attack needs a whole lot of work. We looked lost yesterday and it wasn’t the the first time. Our last tackle options were very average.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Hook:
“I thought (Norman) was good. He created enough for us there today at different times. He tried to take the line on himself.

"We got lost a little bit on the last plays a couple times but I have been really happy with him.”

Norman will be Hook’s Achilles heel

.... favourites can be coachkillers

Last edited:

mickeylane

Bench
There’s an attack there as witnessed in our first try yesterday - we just don’t go out the backline quick enough sometimes plus our 2nd phase play is non existent .. the Roosters are going to be very tough because they have discipline and systems - they’re danger is Tedesco and maybe young Walker ... will be a very close tussle and hoping the event lifts our team.. I think we get them in the forwards and that should pave the way for the Duftys, Birds, Lomax, Ravas of the world to score some points ..

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I tend to agree short term pain long term gain.....as much as I would love to see us knock the Roosters off (and we still might) cant see the point in rushing Hunt back....they've also had the luxury of two days xtra days

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hunt is 50/50 and would need to train at full capacity this week to come into the team. Given the look on Hooks face when asked the question, It seemed he was trying to avoid the question somewhat.

Blocka will come back in so who misses out? Most would say Williame and thats a fair assumption. However, it may not be so. Of the forwards that played yesterday the choice will come down to either Merrin or Ellis who misses out. Their stats from the game yesterday were:

Both played 29 mins
Ellis 8 runs 75m
Merrin 3 runs 28m
Ellis 26 pcm
Merrin 10 pcm
Ellis 21 tackles at 91.3% (1 miss)
Merrin 22 tackles at 88% (2 misses)

IMO our forwards will be:
8. Lawrie
10. Vaughan
Bench:
Ellis
Maguire
Alvaro
Williame

dragon thomo

Juniors
I agree with Mickey Lane
Lomax and Bird need good early ball. They cannot do there thing if the defence is on top of them.
Against Parra we were deeper in attack and running onto the ball. Not flat footed like yesterday.
I also agree that Laurie is back in starting. Also give Billy Burns a run off the bench instead of Ellis.
I am still not sure if Kerr is an edge forward, Burns is so if we have brought him to the club let’s see what he could do.

blacksafake

First Grade
Hunt is 50/50 and would need to train at full capacity this week to come into the team. Given the look on Hooks face when asked the question, It seemed he was trying to avoid the question somewhat.

Blocka will come back in so who misses out? Most would say Williame and thats a fair assumption. However, it may not be so. Of the forwards that played yesterday the choice will come down to either Merrin or Ellis who misses out. Their stats from the game yesterday were:

Both played 29 mins
Ellis 8 runs 75m
Merrin 3 runs 28m
Ellis 26 pcm
Merrin 10 pcm
Ellis 21 tackles at 91.3% (1 miss)
Merrin 22 tackles at 88% (2 misses)

IMO our forwards will be:
8. Lawrie
10. Vaughan
Bench:
Ellis
Maguire
Alvaro
Williame
Was disappointed in Merrin yesterday & on the stats Ellis should be in ahead of him but with Blocker back Hook may continue with Merrin off the bench. Having McGuire now who can play long minutes I’d go with Ellis.

possm

Coach
Our boys will be up for this game. Now they are back to earth and realise it is the form they showed against the Eels that they need to show if they hope to smash the Roosters.

But Hook will need to make changes:

3. Max Feagai for Bird
6. Bird for Norman - Bird needs kicking sessions with Soward
7. Hunt for Clune - Hunt would do with some kicking sessions with Soward
8. McGuire for Merin
14. Lawrie
15. Alvaro
16. Faamausili for Ellis
17. Burns for Williame

On a warning:
Dufty
Kerr

Dropped to KOE:
Norman
Clune
Merin
Ellis
Williame

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Our boys will be up for this game. Now they are back to earth and realise it is the form they showed against the Eels that they need to show if they hope to smash the Roosters.

But Hook will need to make changes:

3. Max Feagai for Bird
6. Bird for Norman - Bird needs kicking sessions with Soward
7. Hunt for Clune - Hunt would do with some kicking sessions with Soward
8. McGuire for Merin
14. Lawrie
15. Alvaro
16. Faamausili for Ellis
17. Burns for Williame

On a warning:
Dufty
Kerr

Dropped to KOE:
Norman
Clune
Merin
Ellis
Williame
You are kidding :rofl:
Norman is our best tactical kicker at the moment
What has Kerr done wrong to get a warning
after one below average game....:astonished:
Have you actually watched Max this year apart from his injuries?
He is not in form
Manu probably Hutchinson and Bmoz would eat him up.

Faamausili was dropped for injury / form
Obviously both did not set the world alight in reserve grade on the weekend
And you want to make massive changes :thumbsup:

BLM01

First Grade
Surprise Surprise Radley and the Roosters fighting a 3 week ban grade 2 at the judiciary
if they are successful as per normal
only gets a fine.
The NRL cries not our responsibility but Roosters will crow to the panel
Come on fellas we’ve got enough out
Paper bag for you, you and you
Of course poor taste in humour there by myself.

On the other side I think Mitchell is very lucky
Could’ve been a lot worse than Grade 2
looked pretty intentional and got him flush imagine if he broken his jaw
And for kicking out at someone in the head got a fine for that and a fine for he Slater slide
Bird a week for what he did.
Yes I know, some are treated differently to others.
Hetherington well he’s an easy target.

2010Dragons

Bench
Surprise Surprise Radley and the Roosters fighting a 3 week ban grade 2 at the judiciary
only gets a fine.

And for kicking out at someone in the head got a fine for that and a fine for he Slater slide

The judiciary is a rigged rort and only a stage show for the media.
I'm feed up with these headless chooks getting away with everything and anything !!
One day these rooster thugs will injure another player real bad, like season ending. Then the judiciary will wake up to themselves.

blacksafake

First Grade
only gets a fine.

Normally I would expect Radley to get off but with all the hullabaloo over Mitchell getting off reasonably lightly just maybe justice will be served.

Dragon David

First Grade
only gets a fine.

It wouldn't surprise me for the judiciary to reduce the charge to grade 1 and only fine Radley for his high tackle on Munster. The Roosters certainly do not want Radley to miss any games because of their current injury toll, particularly the Anzac Day match against us. They will try everything under the sun to get the charge reduced. They have lots of paper bags in head office and they are good at sweet talking to get whatever they want. Most other clubs don't stand a chance and cop the charges on the chin (pun not intentional).

Slippery Morris

First Grade
One thing for sure and what makes Saints perform well is when they get a decent ref and being one of the bigger games of the round they will get that and not a ref in the lower end of the scale like the dud against Warriors.

Roosters will be pumped. Geez I hope BMoz is out. He always plays well against Saints. And with the form he is in, he will score plenty.

Latest posts