What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 v Brisbane, Suncorp, Fri 3/5 7:35pm

Bronco Corey Parker says Rabbitoh Isaac Luke will be a threat in blockbuster
Rhys O'Neill
The Courier-Mail
May 01, 2013 12:09PM

DANGERMAN: Issac Luke in action for the Rabbitohs. Source: Getty Images

BRONCOS workhorse Corey Parker says it's not South Sydney's band of monsters that scare him most but rather an 89kg dummy-half terrier.

Issac Luke, the New Zealand Test hooker, looks lost in the land of the giants when packing down next to Rabbitohs' behemoths Roy Asotasi (108kg), George Burgess (120kg), Sam Burgess (116kg) and Ben Te'o (106kg).

Much of the focus for Friday night's round 8 blockbuster at Suncorp Stadium has been on the battle of the big men.

Parker, however, insists Brisbane must remain extra cautious of the combative No.9.

"He's probably one of the hookers in the comp that runs the most," Parker said of Luke.

"He's a very dangerous player, as we saw in that (trans-Tasman) Test match.

"With a game of footy it starts in the middle and he's the one who has got the ball most of the time so we'll concentrate on him and work it out off that."

The clash with second-placed Souths looms as a welcome test for a Brisbane side teetering on a return to its best footy.

Anthony Griffin's men have won three straight to surge to sixth on the ladder.

"Now and then in footy you get a big challenge, - for us it's against Souths on Friday night," Parker said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t-in-blockbuster/story-e6frexnr-1226633021083

Ben's return to Brisbane will hit hard
Peter Badel and Chris Garry
The Courier-Mail
May 02, 2013 12:00AM

Ben Te'o is back in Brisbane and ready to tackle the Broncos. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Daily Telegraph

AT Red Hill, he was dubbed "The Terminator".

Now Ben Te'o is back to rattle his former Broncos teammates, who rate the Souths recruit the hardest hitter in the NRL.

Broncos coach Anthony Griffin revealed to The Courier-Mail last month the club could not afford to keep both Te'o and Matt Gillett this season because of salary cap restrictions.

Ultimately, Griffin opted for Gillett, but there is a sentiment the Broncos are sorely missing the intimidation Queensland Origin enforcer Te'o has transferred to the Rabbitohs this season.

Broncos players vividly recall Te'o's brutal shoulder charge that floored Tigers rookie Matt Groat last year which earned him a two-week suspension and are on guard for his presence tomorrow night at Suncorp Stadium.

"He is one of the biggest hitters I've ever seen," Broncos back-rower Alex Glenn said.

"It's going to be good coming up against Benny. We used to do it at training all the time but it will be different on the field.

"The good thing with our club is we always have depth but losing Te'o was a blow.

"The guys didn't want to lose him, but that's just life and everyone has to get on with it.

"That hit he put on the Tigers kid (Groat) last year . . . I just couldn't believe it. My jaw just dropped, I was right there, side-on, and it blew me away how hard that hit was."

Maroons utility Gillett, who has benefited at the Broncos from Te'o's departure, says their back-row clash tomorrow night could influence their Origin prospects.

"When he left, it was a bit of a relief," Gillett said with a wry smile. "Benny moving gave me a bit more of a chance to grab that starting spot.

"If Ben stayed it would have been a bigger challenge for me.

"Ben was a big part of the Broncos but now he's down there he's enjoying it and playing terrific footy."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ne-will-hit-hard/story-e6frexp0-1226633457434

Brisbane Broncos bracing themselves to take on the monster South Sydney pack
Peter Badel
The Courier-Mail
May 02, 2013 12:00AM

UK giants George and Sam Burgess anchor the Rabbitohs pack. Picture: Cameron Mitch Source: The Daily Telegraph

SOUTH Sydney legend George Piggins believes the Rabbitohs' class of 2013 can surge to the premiership inspired by the club's best forward pack in 42 years.

The Broncos are bracing for a brutal showdown at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow night, with Kiwi Test forward Alex Glenn rating Souths' big boppers the best forward unit in the code.

That critique was franked by Piggins, who sees similarities between Roy Asotasi, Issac Luke, Ben Te'o and Sam Burgess and the forward pack that underpinned the club's most recent premiership in 1971.

Piggins was the hard-as-nails hooker in Souths' last title success, spearheading a star-studded front six that included props John Sattler and John O'Neill, back-rowers Bob McCarthy and Gary Stevens and lock Ron Coote.

He later coached the Rabbitohs to the minor premiership in 1989 with a forward posse headlined by NSW enforcers Ian Roberts and Les Davidson and inspirational rake Mario Fenech.

Now the man who saved the club from extinction in 2002 believes coach Michael Maguire's pack has the fusion of size, skill, speed and toughness to break the Rabbitohs' premiership drought.

"I have no doubt this Souths team can win the comp with the pack they've got,'' said Piggins, who played 118 top-grade games between 1967-78. "Looking at them I reckon they are faster than our pack was and probably as tough.

Kiwi Test forward Alex Glenn rates Souths' big boppers the best forward unit in the code.

"It is a different game today, it can be hard to compare eras because so much time has passed, but on the back of this pack they can certainly win the premiership.

"I know they haven't won a comp yet, but they are on their way to winning one.''

On paper, it is hard to imagine any Rabbitohs forward unit eclipsing luminaries such as McCarthy, Coote and Sattler, the Test trio who played 557 top-grade games between 1963-78.

But Piggins sees parallels.

He is an unabashed fan of Luke's industry at dummy-half and believes the monster Burgess brothers, 116kg Sam and 120kg George, would have dominated in any era.

"When I think back to our pack, most of us were between 27 to 30 years of age - most of the Souths forwards today are 23 to 26,'' Piggins said. "They are younger, but they are fitter, faster and just as strong.''

Wily hooker Isaac Luke guides the big South Sydney pack around the park. Picture: Jeff Herbert

Broncos back-rower Glenn says the club's title credentials will be truly examined by Souths' big men, whom he rates the best forward collective in the NRL.

"From what I've seen they are the benchmark,'' he said. "They are just enormous, they are the biggest pack going around and it's a good challenge for us as a team.

"Their backs like (Greg) Inglis and (Nathan) Merritt are playing off that.''

Brisbane and Queensland Origin prop Ben Hannant says Souths' go-forward will be relentless.

"We will want to get the icepacks ready after Friday night,'' he said. "As a pack we haven't reached our potential. They are the No.1 pack, so it's more a mental challenge for us to put our bodies on the line and go in aggressively.''

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...outh-sydney-pack/story-e6frexp0-1226633376084

Matt Gillett ready to face the 'frightening' Ben Te'o
BY:DAN KOCH From: The Australian May 02, 2013 12:00AM

Brisbane's Matt Gillett admitted he was burnt out after last year's Origin series Picture: Liam Kidston Source: The Courier-Mail
TALENTED backrower Matt Gillett is eyeing Friday night's blockbuster clash against Souths as a chance to "repay" the faith shown in him by the Broncos when he squares off against the man whose place he took in the team, new Rabbitohs enforcer Ben Te'o.

Widely regarded as the hardest hitter in the game, Te'o was essentially shown the door at the end of last year, with the Broncos not even bothering to table an offer to the Gold Coast junior.

It was a decision that surprised many, given Te'o, 26, appeared to be coming into the prime of his career after he reached his 100-game milestone and earned State of Origin selection for the Maroons last season.

Concerns about the wisdom of allowing Te'o to head to the Rabbitohs heightened on the back of Brisbane's fade-out at the back end of last season, with Gillett's form mirroring that of the team.

However, Gillett hit pre-season training with a new determination and focus. Admitting he "burned out" after his first year involved in an Origin series, he vowed to hit the 2013 premiership race stronger and fitter than ever.

The results of his hard work have been reflected in his blistering form through the early rounds of the season.

Brisbane acknowledged his meteoric rise into the upper echelon of backrow talent in the NRL, signing a three-year contract extension reportedly worth more than $1.2 million.

"I wanted to stay at the Broncos. I have been here since I was a teenager and I didn't really have much interest in looking elsewhere. I think a lot of the young guys here believe in the path we are heading down together and I definitely want to be a part of it.

"I think a lot of us were pretty upset with how things ended last year and I think this year a lot of us have come back determined to make amends for that. The club has shown a lot of faith in this group and we want to repay that."

While not keen to talk too much about the individual battle he faces at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow night, Gillett admitted the match-up with Te'o was bound to get attention.

"Benny is a great player and we were all sad to see him go but that is the way things are these days," Gillett said. "There is plenty of money coming into the game and with the number of young guys we had coming through at the Broncos it was almost inevitable some of them would get pinched.

"I know how tough a night it is going to be. Benny is an intimidating guy -- especially in defence. He is the biggest hitter in the game -- some of the shots he put on while he was here -- yeah, frightening.

"Obviously given we both play in the backrow and we both played Origin last year . . . I expected there would be some people talking about one of us having a point to prove or whatever.

"But honestly, I can't afford to be worrying about that. It's not about me getting the better of Ben, it's about the team and what I can do to help us get a win and that's where my head is at."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ghtening-ben-teo/story-fnca0von-1226633435439

broncos2010

Juniors
This is our house you will know it as paincorp stadium once you leave.

We have won 3 in a row and are ridding the momentum train.

Big Sam

First Grade
Ah the douche Broncos fan is back. Surprised it took him until Thursday this time around.

broncos2010

Juniors
I wonder how long it will take him to come back if the broncs lose?

Broncos have achieved far more then what the rabbits have achieved since we have been in the comp,already 8 premierships and consistent finals appearances.

How long ago was your last premiership?:lol:

southsport

First Grade
Broncos have achieved far more then what the rabbits have achieved since we have been in the comp,already 8 premierships and consistent finals appearances.

How long ago was your last premiership?:lol:

Being the only club in Brisbane the broncs should have achieved much more and relatively speaking, could be considered to be failures.

broncos2010

Juniors
Ok with hodges out I retract my statement I made before, I l pack my stuff and show myself the door thanks.

Ok with hodges out I retract my statement I made before, I l pack my stuff and show myself the door thanks.

What a pissweak pissant of a troll you turned out to be. Usually blokes like you hang around at least until after your team is defeated before vanishing into thin air.

Your team hasn't even hit the field yet and you've sold out.

Incredibly soft.

blaza88z

Coach
I'm not convinced on no hodges = no broncos, we can score points if we play well enough in the forwards, we definitely have the right players playing with the right attitude

SaraSassypants

Juniors
I'm not convinced on no hodges = no broncos, we can score points if we play well enough in the forwards, we definitely have the right players playing with the right attitude

I agree. That Storm game proved you're up to a tough game without Hodges

Last edited: