What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 v Roosters Anzac Day

rasaint

Juniors
Hi All, for what it’s worth after watching the slow mo. There was a ‘double bunger’ including both a head clash and a JWH forearm to Suli‘s head. Sua had little influence either way. The head clash is fractionally first and then raised forearm doesn’t miss either.

Anyway, RL is a funny game. Let’s see how we go next week.

2010Dragons

Bench
It’s been like that for years. You’d think fixing line speed would be one of the hardest things in the world to fix the way the dragons keep f**king it up.
You can't coach defensive line speed. As a coach you can demand every player sprints of the line, all in one line.
But as soon as one player slows down or stands on his heels waiting for the opponent to run at him then you have a broken line.
I remember the Bennett era; Wayne would tell the boys "I don't care if you miss the tackle as long your line speed is fast and the player on your left and right are in your line speed then the tackle will be completed."

Defensive line speed is 100% attitude and trust in the bloke next to you.
If 1 player doesn't move fast off the defensive line, then the rest of the players follows.

Look at the Broncos, Panthers and Storm 99% of the time their line speed is always fast.

The Dragons defensive line is hit and miss at 50 %.

It couldn’t be more obvious: the difference between the two sides was the quality of the halfbacks. Pretty much everything else was a function of that.
Their 6 and 7 were much better than ours in both attack and defence. But that wasn't the main difference. The main difference was that we could not control the ruck.

The Newcastle game was one where our halves being outplayed (and Sloan's poor defensive efforts) lost us a game that we were (otherwise) going to win.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
The less said the better, although Blocka has to go he is such a plodder his body shape is not for today’s game. He is the only prop in the comp with that shape. Athletic beasts are required today as the speed of the ruck doesn’t allow for the good old fashioned type blockas anymore.
Even JWH has changed his shape and he’s 34 or something.

since77

Juniors
Well at least at half time I could go and start cooking dinner early. Sweet & Sour veggies with coconut rice.

Won't say much about the game but I thought the Roosters were offside a heck of a lot in that first half on the rare occasions we had the ball at their end. Lost count of how many times our first receiver was catching the ball just as the defence was arriving.....
The effect of momentum in the modern game is killing the game.
I thought Suli incident was a simple head clash. Still might be the beginning of the end for the old fashioned kick off.
Last tackle options???
And finally my favourite whipping boy....How bloody slow and off the pace did Blake Lawrie look? He's just not up to first grade standard. Andrew McCullough could probably outrun him, even in retirement. He always looks several steps behind the game. The only place he'd look good is on a plane to England. Really this plodder just has to go.

The first try was great.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Adam Gee tried to ref the game as if it was a SOO game only problem is there was one side with SOO quality players and the other was KOE cup quality..
He wanted us off the rooster players as soon as we made contact thus creating a quick ruck, he also allowed the rooster players to take a step sideways before playing the ball which took our markers out as well..

Adam Gee tried to ref the game as if it was a SOO game only problem is there was one side with SOO quality players and the other was KOE cup quality..
He wanted us off the rooster players as soon as we made contact thus creating a quick ruck, he also allowed the rooster players to take a step sideways before playing the ball which took our markers out as well..
We weren't winning the tackles.

thebigredv

First Grade
Hard lessons hopefully learnt today.

If I am honest I don’t know if it is about lessons anymore.

The Suli matter and losing Rav really hurt us for doing those crucial metres out of trouble the forwards can’t do. I think that was a small part of the loss as well as 3 matches in 11 days. Notable challenges, but it was just an excuse at the end of the day, and our lot will take an excuse if it’s there.

Overall, we should expect that our players, despite knowing their weaknesses are going to lose every other game because they are not mentally or physically up to the task. It's hard to put back to back performances together for our guys. Has been since Bennett days.

How many times have you watched the Dragons - regardless of coach - and wondered “why are they still doing that?”. We don’t learn lessons.

Fullbacks out of position every other week.
Forwards huffing and puffing by minute 30.
Halves, caught by rushed defence, kicking and hoping because it is an afterthought.
No one supporting the ball runner.
Defenders caught asleep up the middle.
The list goes on.

No doubt we have a good 70-80% of our team sorted for the next few years but as has been the case for some time now, we DESPERATELY need to be signing marquee players. The ones who know how to win. I'm less concerned about the 60 points than the silence in the player market.

Spazer

Juniors
Sua one of the only players who tried hard. also BMM for his short stint. Sloan and lomax had a couple of good moments but went missing and failed to get into the game. We were way below standard and it's disappointing because roosters aren't that good but they actually turned up unlike our side.

We are a rocks and diamonds side this year fellas, impossible team to tip. Gonna be a stressful ride.

jeffdragon

Bench
The less said the better, although Blocka has to go he is such a plodder his body shape is not for today’s game. He is the only prop in the comp with that shape. Athletic beasts are required today as the speed of the ruck doesn’t allow for the good old fashioned type blockas anymore.
Even JWH has changed his shape and he’s 34 or something.
Roosters mate said he's a prop for the 1980s.
Gone.