What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roy Masters on Gallop's problems

nqboy

First Grade
Le KooK said:
Look, the SL/News Ltd. bashing gets rather tiresome. They have done plenty wrong, and they certainly are not perfect, but at least they are trying.

As we all know, News Ltd. continues to own and fund the Nth Qld Cowboys and the Melbourne Storm.

They bailed out the Cowboys when they were in deep doggy-doo-doo, helped them along, and now the future looks very rosy.

The Melbourne Storm are the code's gateway into the Victorian market, and last year we saw 900,000 odd Victorians watch the NRL GF, a remarkable effort IMO. Despite the fact the club has cost an untold amount of millions, News Ltd. continues to pick up the bill. We need the Storm to grow out code - and News Ltd. are the ones picking up the huge tab.

People always like to bash News Ltd. - but in respect to these two clubs, I don't think the fans are complaining. At least they are prepared to back the code in this instance.

When's James Packer going to put his hand in his own pocket to grow the code? When is Packer going to foot the bill for an expansion club? The prick never will - the 'best friends of Rugby League' don't give a f**k about us or the code. Why can't Packer do a little bit for Rugby League - he's mooched off the code forever, and he still isn't prepared to do his bit to expand the game (being aligned with the Sydney Roosters simply isn't enough).

Packer/Channel Nine will gladly pay a pittance for the broadcasting rights, do nothing for the promotion of the code, give the public a tawdry and cringe-worthy primetime RL program (Thusday Night Footy Show) - and then to top it all off, deliberately genius the growth of our code by shutting out prime-time (or anytime) FTA broadcasting of the Melbourne Storm in Victoria. It's a f**king disgrace.
I agree, Nein are reaming our game royally BUT don't go letting off News Ltd that easily.

They saved NQ and Melbourne. Do you think they did that out of the goodness of their hearts or because of the dollars they envisge making of Pay TV subscriptions?

nqboy

First Grade
The Preacher said:
Ch.9 offered the best price and therefore got the gig. If Seven or Ten offered higher they would've got it if Nine didn't match it.
Waht a load of sh*te. Seven and Ten weren't even asked for a bid. A grubby backroom deal was done with Nein, severely underselling our game.

nqboy

First Grade
Kurt Angle said:
Most people thought the increase was satisfactory.
Who the f*ck are you to speak for most people? I certainly didn't think it was satisfactory, far from it, and MOST people agreed. See how easy it was to say that and hope that it slips by unchallenged?

nqboy

First Grade
The Preacher said:
Proof ????? :?
Kurt made a wild claim without substantiating it. I merely refuted it.

It was well publicised at the time that Seven were not even consulted. IIRC, it was Kerry Stokes who expressed his disappointment in the national media.

The Preacher

First Grade
nqboy said:
Kurt made a wild claim without substantiating it. I merely refuted it.

It was well publicised at the time that Seven were not even consulted. IIRC, it was Kerry Stokes who expressed his disappointment in the national media.

Well that's different. If kerry Stokes said it it must be true. :lol: Pleeease.

bulldog

Bench
nqboy said:
I don't blame Gallop entirely as there is little he can do to change it while News Ltd own half the game. But I do pull him up when he tries to convince me that they really are doing the best thing for the game. What a crock.

He's either naive, stupid or lying. And I don't believe for a moment he's naive or stupid.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the subject, Gallop may be doing the best he can, but RL could have done a whole lot better.