What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royce Hunt

Wizardman

First Grade
Thanks mate. There are a few fans that are not thrilled with the signing but I think he is a very good moneyball type signing. What I mean by that is that although he would not be considered as the complete prop by any means, he has certainly been bought to fulfil a particular role which does need filling in our pack,,,,one of impact. Others have knocked his age but I think 29 years old is no issue at all.....especially for a prop.
The last knock on him by some is that they think he may clash with Horsborough. I totally disagree with this idea. It is amazing how often some of your good friends in life can start as rivals. I have a very good mate to this day where we certainly started off on the wrong foot while in competition. Once we actually had a chat and not insulted each other, we got to see each other as humans. We are great mates to this day.

Last edited:

DJDL

First Grade
Royce will be great for you guys.

There's talk in the Rumours thread of him only averaging 6 runs and 63 metres a game this year.
While on the surface that doesn't paint a pretty picture, it's a classic example of stats not telling the whole story.

Number one, he was conditioned over the offseason to only play in short bursts of 10-15 minutes.
The coach has been using him accordingly this year.
Over the course of the season he has averaged ~23 minutes a game.

And number two, I've lost count of the number of times he has been brought on right around the time the team starts dropping the ball, giving away set restarts and penalties and just defending the whole time he's out there.

Ditto Tuku Hau Taupuha.

I'd argue he's capable of way more than he's been allowed to show this year.

As the video below shows, he played his best football - and for longer minutes - under Bomber.
Get his conditioning right and he's a rampaging beast.

Vic Mackey

Referee

There's talk in the Rumours thread of him only averaging 6 runs and 63 metres a game this year.
While on the surface that doesn't paint a pretty picture, it's a classic example of stats not telling the whole story.

Number one, he was conditioned over the offseason to only play in short bursts of 10-15 minutes.

And number two, I've lost count of the number of times he has been brought on right around the time the team starts dropping the ball, giving away set restarts and penalties and just defending the whole time he's out there.

Ditto Tuku Hau Taupuha.

As the video below shows, he played his best football - and for longer minutes - under Bomber.

I think the Superocach generation has way too much emphasis on stats. A huge amount of rugby league cant be measured on tackles and hit ups. I take a big notice on what happens after a player takes a hitup. We started our comeback V Manly after Fonua Pole came on. Our first try was after he made a good hitup, landed on his front, quick play the ball, then Api shot out, caught the markers sideways and scored. On the stats its registered as 1 hit up for 10ms, yet it was so much more.

IM not syaing Hunt is going to be a game changer for us, however he is certainly more then '6 hit ups a game'

Nutz

Bench
I think the Superocach generation has way too much emphasis on stats. A huge amount of rugby league cant be measured on tackles and hit ups. I take a big notice on what happens after a player takes a hitup. We started our comeback V Manly after Fonua Pole came on. Our first try was after he made a good hitup, landed on his front, quick play the ball, then Api shot out, caught the markers sideways and scored. On the stats its registered as 1 hit up for 10ms, yet it was so much more.

IM not syaing Hunt is going to be a game changer for us, however he is certainly more then '6 hit ups a game'
Exactly, stats are only a guide. It's the effect that a certain hit up or tackle etc has on the game rather than 29 flops.

Nutz

Bench

Ditto Tuku Hau Taupuha.

Cheers DJDL.
Every time I've put him in my supercoach team I've obviously followed him and I love his beast mode.
I know he's capable of going more and when Benji asked him whether he can play more minutes he said he's up for it.
So it's going to be a big off season imo. He needs to shed a couple of kilos of gut and get some kilometres in those tree trunks.
My biggest fear is injuries not effort. Fingers crossed.
I didn't know that he played with Horsey in Canberra. What's your opinion of those two being a middle rotation?

DJDL

First Grade
I didn't know that he played with Horsey in Canberra. What's your opinion of those two being a middle rotation?

Yeah I only read that the other day.

If they can get along I think they’d both be good additions to your squad.

For whatever reason Horsburgh is out of favour in Canberra, but he’s a SOO rep and a hard nut.
Something you guys miss.

It’ll be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Tigerm

Coach

Ditto Tuku Hau Taupuha.

I forgot about Bomber, I don’t think he would be here if he hadn’t given him a tick.

Nutz

Bench
Yeah I only read that the other day.

If they can get along I think they’d both be good additions to your squad.

For whatever reason Horsburgh is out of favour in Canberra, but he’s a SOO rep and a hard nut.
Something you guys miss.

It’ll be interesting to see how it all unfolds.
I'm listening to the DT podcast right now and they are saying that an announcement is going to be made this Friday. Horsey and Hunt were actually playing mates.