What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rua Tipoki

mattyj

Juniors
Little bit out of left field, but I guess the with results on the park being very average the current Admin cant leave any stone unturned.

Following his suspension of 16 weeks and his current indecision about his playing future SHOULD THE WARRIORS LOOK AT HIM as a replacement for the possible departure of Toopi?

Personally I think he would make an outstanding rugby league centre. IMO he has one of the best right foot steps in either code, he is solid on D and extremely good close to the line running at forwards and finishing off a move which is one massive issue with the current squad.

He is 27 but having come over here to Japan for a couple of years it will extend his career (just like it has done with Flavell and Leon Mcdonald) which also means he has already done his playing OE and I know he doesn’t want to go again if he doesn’t have to.

Now, I know as a club and it's recent issues with the salary cap a signing from Union looks pretty silly, but, I think that with his current uncertainty, his desire to stay in NZ, John Harts connection with rugby union (both being able to help negotiate a release and a person who can help with the transition), he is also very much down the pecking order for the all blacks as the NZ franchises have and amazing amount of depth in the 12 and 13 Jerseys this year it adds a bit of a twist to the situation

Not being able to get a All Black tier contract takes a lot off his earning potential in Union and I think what the Warriors could offer him money wise with the potential departure of Toopi could be competitive.

Chances of him coming across are slim but I’d suggest its worth a punt with a discipline/suspension clause included in his contract.

dazza

Staff member
i`d rather have luke mcalister. i know he`s not a centre, but we NEED a stand off.

cheers dazza

Martli

Coach
dazza said:
i`d rather have luke mcalister. i know he`s not a centre, but we NEED a stand off.

cheers dazza

Great player, but he's a china doll. The warriors would only have him for about 5 games a season!

I was about to post a thread about him as well mattyj. As far as the salary cap goes im sure a union recruit does not affect the current cap. Im sure he will make an impact.

mattyj

Juniors
douglasallen91 said:
too old. for a new recruit.

Disagree totally, i think centre position is the easiest to make a transition into and i think a 3yr contract at the age of 27 is not pushing him too far.

IMO it would be easier for a quality super 12 centre to step up to the NRL level after a full offseason than a Bartercard cup centre.

Iafeta

Referee
RHYTHM AND STEALTH said:
I was about to post a thread about him as well mattyj. As far as the salary cap goes im sure a union recruit does not affect the current cap. Im sure he will make an impact.

I think, not 100% sure, you get an exemption for an under-21 rugby player.

Iafeta

Referee
mattyj said:
Disagree totally, i think centre position is the easiest to make a transition into and i think a 3yr contract at the age of 27 is not pushing him too far.

IMO it would be easier for a quality super 12 centre to step up to the NRL level after a full offseason than a Bartercard cup centre.

If he's put on a 3 year deal, he'll be 31 by the end of it, and with having a couple of years in Japan and a half a year to a year rubbed out through suspension he should be sweet. It's not really out and out pace that makes him potent either, he's very quick off the mark, but his true attribute is his footwork so I don't think thats going to be an issue.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Could the NRL refuse to register a contract based on disciplinary reasons?

I've gotta be honest, I've got NO IDEA what Tipoki did to earn a 16-week ban, but I'm guessing it must have been pretty serious. I'd be surprised if the NRL would allow him to sign a League contract straight after that.

Didn't Hoppa try to do something similar during one of his numerous suspensions and get the big thumbs down?

Anyway, I think he (Tipoki, not Hopoate!!) would be worth a shot but can't see it happening for some reason.

He wouldn't be bad, but I think it's a bit late in his career to be thinking about a switch in codes to be honest. If we're talking about out of favour Blues though I wouldn't mind seeing Lavea come back to league. He's had his issues, but he's a very talented player and would be a nice addition to our halves I think.

Why not try and go for both Lavea and Rua ? I've seen Rua played a game of league for Ellleslie when they were short a couple of years ago while playing rugby for Marist Auckland .
He was awsome !

mattyj

Juniors
douglasallen91 said:
hes 31 this year
http://www.harbourrugby.co.nz/RuaTipoki.htm

hes one of those players that are sneaky with their age.

If he is 31, then you are probably right, he is too old.

Here are is an article and a profile from the Auckland Blues that says he is 27 although i saw that Harbour one that said he was 31 so im not sure which one to believe.

http://www.theblues.co.nz/player/profile.html?playerid=804700
Banned Tipoki's future uncertain
clear.gif

By Michael Donaldson
Saturday, April 15, 2006
icon_print.gif
Print this article
icon_email.gif
Email to a friend
Related:
icon_arrow.gif
Force search for new flyhalf

His tattooed arms rested calmly on his thighs under the table, but the tension in his voice couldn't be hidden, as Rua Tipoki faced up to the possibility his rugby career could end with the 16-week suspension handed down to him on Saturday.
Tipoki, described by his NPC coach Allan Pollock as a "tortured genius", looked only tortured as he reflected on the swinging elbow that fractured James Hilgendorf's eye socket.
The incident in Friday night's Blues-Force Super 14 match is the latest in a litany of skirmishes which have plagued the sweet-stepping New Zealand Maori centre.
It came less than a year after a punch that cut open South African Jean de Villiers' eye. Before that there was the episode where he broke both his hands punching a player in a Maori festival game, an incident he initially lied about, saying it was gym accident. And before that there was a reckless and dangerous tackle in August, 2000.
Tipoki admits his playing style needs a revamp, but is unsure if he can manage that change at age 27.

"I play a physical style and it's been to my detriment sometimes and it's cost me," Tipoki said.
"I'm just going to have to find ways to tighten it up but I don't know if I can find another approach to the game."
Asked if this ban could end his career, Tipoki said: "I'm going to have a really good look at it. Rugby has been going really good for me lately and that might help keep me in it, but at the moment I'm not sure."
Pollock, who backed Tipoki as a "quality man and a quality rugby player", said he would counsel his Harbour captain to stick with the game.
"He's experiencing some real self-doubt at the moment.
"But I've already told him that it won't get any worse than it seems right now. We'll spend some time together next week and talk about it, and we will find plenty of ways for Rua to add value to our organisation over the next 16 weeks."
Tipoki admitted he tried to "check" Hilgendorf as he joined a tackle being made by team-mate Luke McAlister, but that he never intended to injure his opponent.
"It was just another careless, sloppy action by myself which has resulted in an injury to another player and a hefty suspension for myself, so all I can do is accept responsibility for my actions and what's come about and just say that I never intended to injure James."
He said he'd tried to contact Hilgendorf to apologise, but hadn't been able to get in touch with him.
The Blues haven't decided whether to appeal against the sentence, which team manager Ant Strachan said fell "within the range" of the penalty set down for an intentional use of the elbow.
The committee considered that the offending was serious, that there was little to be said in Tipoki's favour by way of mitigation, and noted that he had two previous appearances before the judiciary for striking offences.
Because of the nature of the offending, the significance of the injury to Hilgendorf and the absence of mitigating factors, the committee determined that Tipoki should be suspended for 16 weeks.
The suspension is the heaviest sentence the SANZAR judiciary has handed out to a New Zealand player.
Force five-eighths Hilgendorf said the blow from Tipoki had caused his eye to swell up almost before he had hit the ground.
"I tried to open my eyes, but one of them just stayed shut. It swelled up very quickly, and I knew it was pretty serious. I have had a couple of (medical) opinions, and I will see a surgeon when I get back to Perth, but fingers crossed I won't need an operation."
Sunday Star-Times

-Dr.J-

Juniors
It looked worse than it was. It looks like he just ran into join the ruck and the guy caught some elbow on the way down. His expression just looked like he was pushing into whatever would slow him down on his way in then carried on the ruck.