What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ruben Wiki best forward in the world?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
sooperdooper said:
they may look good on paper but remeber jones is not there now. also its known that whats on paper is not what happens on the field..

i have been critical of wiki. but he is a good foward up there with a few others as a great prop at this period of time

The Warriors forward pack was brilliant for most of last year. They consistently made a stack of metres and defended solidly all year, but lost a lot of close games, primarily due to having an utterly sh*thouse backline. I lost count of the number of times our pack steamrolled up the park and set us up inside the opposition 20 only for our useless backs to fail to capitalise on their efforts.

1stNov2000

Juniors
Phil Ivey said:
hi all, new to rugby league, this year

i followed the warriors all year, and wiki was one of my absolute favourites all year. even though our team was crap, he played so hard every game.

i understand he had a long career at canberra, was he a great player there aswell? did the fans enjoy his play?

blockbusting centre when he had a bit more pace and a ruthless defender. When he was on fire, he was awesome to watch.

nqboy

First Grade
LeagueFanNumeroUno said:
Warriors in 2005 when at full strength:

1. Brent Webb
2. Francis Meli
3. Clinton Toopi
4. Todd Byrne
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. Jerome Ropati
7. Stacey Jones
8. Steve Price
9. Nathan Fien
10. Ruben Wiki
11. Wairangi Koopu
12. Awen Guttenbeil
13. Sione Faumuina

14. Lance Hohaia
15. Richard Villasanti
16. Iafeta Paleaaesina
17. Louie Anderson

That's a brilliant forward pack, far from nuffies, in fact one of the best in the competition. Come to think of it, that team on paper, i believe, is better than Parra's or the Dragon's teams.
Now you're being silly. If that pack is so brilliant, how come the Warriors are so poor? A better comment would have been that they all have their moments but most don't play for 80 mins.

Edit - answered above. We'll have to agree to disagree. Most of those blokes don't excite me too much.

Iafeta

Referee
innsaneink said:
Being the best of a bunch of nuffies (Raiders & Warriors) hardly qualifies you to a worlds best tag.
Why is it only now, that hes won something is this brought up?
We hear a few murmurs from his staunchest fans over the last few years, nothing more.

You mustn't have been around in 1994 when he won a premiership.

You mustn't have been around from 94 onwards seeing his performances in the black jumper.

You obviously didn't see how well Ruben Wiki performed week in, week out for the Warriors this season. IMO forward of the year, if not player of the year at the Warriors quite comfortably. And likewise, many club player of the year awards at Canberra.

That bloke has single handedly destroyed the Warriors in the past. People still talk about the hit on Adrian Lam, the man has mana and has been one of the best performed players in the NRL week in, week out with little need to get out and text his mates to get attention. He's the consummate pro of the NRL.

Iafeta

Referee
SpaceMonkey said:
The Warriors forward pack was brilliant for most of last year. They consistently made a stack of metres and defended solidly all year, but lost a lot of close games, primarily due to having an utterly sh*thouse backline. I lost count of the number of times our pack steamrolled up the park and set us up inside the opposition 20 only for our useless backs to fail to capitalise on their efforts.

Spot on.

The forwards were outstanding and matched most if not all packs in the comp. The problem was a lack of tactics, a lack of attacking depth and flair to take advantage of that.

Then again, as most would tell you, we're just a reckless bunch of frisby throwers with no guts up the middle.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Iafeta said:
Spot on.

The forwards were outstanding and matched most if not all packs in the comp. The problem was a lack of tactics, a lack of attacking depth and flair to take advantage of that.

Then again, as most would tell you, we're just a reckless bunch of frisby throwers with no guts up the middle.

Yeah I was probably a little harsh on our backs given that a few of them suddenly look a lot better when they've got some direction in the black jumper (Toopi, Vatuvei and Webb in particular). The lack of attacking gameplan was shocking, we just had no plan for cracking opposition defenses. A large part of why Tony Kemp got the boot IMHO.

Palms

Juniors
Very short memories..Kennedy played prob close to his best season this year and if not for him, Manly would of been alot further down the table. Hindmarsh has been consistantly great over the last 4 or so seasons and I believe still holds the helm of the best forward.
Wiki is an awesome front rower, up there with Price, Webke, Bailey and when at full fitness O'Meley

ozboy

Juniors
Webcke is still the man.

One of the greats of the game.

Wiki is a great player and one of NZ's greatest, but is nowhere near the calibre of Webcke, neither now or 5 years ago.

In saying that though, there aren't many who are.

Latest posts