What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Challenge 2006

Jackal Dog

Juniors
Well with this game only 2 weeks away from release(Dec 1), I figured there should be a thread about it, RC2006 is made by the same guys that made Jonah Lomu Rugby & World Championship Rugby so the gameplay should be good or at least a hell of a lot better than the EA rugby games.

The only bummer is the lack of official licenses for Souther Hemisphere teams and competitions so we can expect the usual Stephen Larham, Drew Michael etc.

On the upside there is a rugby game that finally has a career mode! plus more competitions even if they are Northern Hemisphere club ones, are always appreciated.

Haven't been able to track down a official site but you can find the press release along with some screenshots here: http://www.hip-europe.com/news.php?id=14&langue=1

Hip Interactive , world leading publisher of PC and videogames, is pleased to announce the forthcoming release of Rugby Challenge 2006 from the much acclaimed developers of World Championship Rugby, a top-5 selling release in the United Kingdom and France since its launch last year.
Rugby Challenge 2006 promises to deliver the action with slick presentation, together with unsurpassed hard hitting encounters that avid Rugby fans richly deserve and expect. Developed by Swordfish Studios, which was recently named Developer of the Year at the second annual TIGA awards, Rugby Challenge 2006 will feature:

New competitions - featuring both international and domestic clubs, including Heineken Cup, 6 Nations Tournaments, Zurich Premiership, Celtic League, French National League (Top 16), etc.

Players/Teams - all the licensed players and teams are researched before they are entered into the game.

Career mode - enables players to manage, wheel and deal and play your way to the top.

Training & Tutorial modes - number of levels including sub games to achieve personal bests.

Weather Conditions - choices to play a game in dry or wet conditions, and either during daytime or in the evening.

Stadia - There is a mixture of both real-life stadiums (such as Murrayfield, Lansdowne Road, Twickenham, Millennium Stadium, etc.) and fictional stadiums.

Plus a lot more to be announced at E3.

Utilizing a mixture of motion captured and hand animation for top class presentation, along with cutting edge AI for sophisticated tactical manipulation, Rugby Challenge 2006 will delight gamers with its immersive gameplay and easy to understand manipulation.

Jared27

Juniors
Fairleigh Good! said:
That game looks shocking.

Ye well it isn't.

Locksley (an experianced game tester) has had the privelige of playing this game and says that it is the best rugby game ever made, even better than rugby 2006 and better than RL2 (although he didn't say this exactly, it is clear that he believes RC06 is the best.)

go to www.therugbyforum.com and under the swordifsh studios section you can check out what some of those who have played it think about the game
Chair.

aussies1st

Staff member
That game is more for the Northern hempsihere. No super 14, stadiums are all in europe. I think I will give this one a miss.

Rustay

Juniors
I didnt like World Championship Rugby. Apart from the lack of real names and stuff like that, it seemed so slow. Winger sprinting down the wing took about an hour to get down the other end. Maybe i had it on the wrong settings on or something, but it just wasnt enjoyable.

However, surely they got the rucking system better than Rugby 2005.

Jackal Dog

Juniors
Game has been delayed indefinitely although developers think it will be out before Xmas.

The one thing that totally blows with this game is that Souther Hemisphere players and competitions will be completely made up. Swordfish were legally adviced to stear clear of any real player likeness or similarity, so that means the players will NOT even have similar names (eg. Dan Karta) or even look alike. But all Northern Hemisphere clubs and also England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, France and Italy will be fully licensed.

aussies1st

Staff member
Its going to require a lot of editing but if the Super 14, Tri Nations are there but just different names that would be good.

ak47

Juniors
Jared27 said:
Ye well it isn't.

Locksley (an experianced game tester) has had the privelige of playing this game and says that it is the best rugby game ever made, even better than rugby 2006 and better than RL2 (although he didn't say this exactly, it is clear that he believes RC06 is the best.)

go to www.therugbyforum.com and under the swordifsh studios section you can check out what some of those who have played it think about the game
Chair.

to back this comment up Locksley (as stated above), was the man for the RL2 UK stats and player rosters.............thus he had alot to do with RL2.

He has maintained this whole time that RC2006 is the best he has ever played, and even beats lomus.

Some of you claim you wont care for it..........same as for BLIC/RPIC, i assume, alot of people said the same, but now its killing EA cricket all the way in rgds to sales, and gamerankings.

It may not be official for SH............but neither is BLIC/RPIC, or neither is PES5

In fact the only EA sports game that is the #1 for its type is Tiger Woods, and Fight Night.
Madden is beat by ESPN - as per more than 50% of websites rankings
FIFA is beat by PES - as per more than 80% of website rankings
NBA Live is beat by NBA2K6 - as per more than 70% of websiote rankings

Its time to realise that EA have drugged us all over the years, thinking they make the best..........sure they dominated pre yr 2000.

Just try something different, before you write it off...I was the same....then i saw PES, then I saw ESPN, and now coz of BLIC/RPIC success these Swordfish guys are nailing our local sports on the head, with greater funding, and better publishers to deliver us what we really want......Jonah Lomu on steroids is what RC2006 has been referred to.....Jonah Lomu on next gen machines