What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League 2 bugs and gripes

MC DUI

Juniors
Manurewa_Marlins said:
If you the thing before cut scenes, you can take them off.

If you can switch it off thats good news.

I didn't have time to look through the options.

Darth Bobo

It hasn't been mentioned yet but one of the worst gripes with the game is that you CANNOT CUSTOMISE YOUR CONTROLS!!!

I have been using the same basic button setup since bloody FIFA '96 and 99% of the games since then allow you the option to change but for some unknown reason Rugby League 2 has no option to change any button setup. It is freaking ridiculous that the option not be there.

Other things that have p*ssed me off are that you can't do the classic draw and pass to your winger because the ball will always end being passed out over the sideline even when I've had 2 unmarked men on the outside. The fields all seem to be watered down because a good kick down field will not roll and bounce more than a few metres after landing.

As a computer game it's absolute rubbish, but it's Footy so what are you gonna do? You've gotta play it.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Does the half and five eighth still hide on the wing in attack whilst the wingers play first receiveR?

sunny

lol, that was one of the more amusing features of the first game, along with the fact that you almost always ended up kicking with a prop!

Darth Bobo

Pierced Soul said:
Does the half and five eighth still hide on the wing in attack whilst the wingers play first receiveR?

This is something that they managed to get right, you have an option to pass directly to your playmaker on the last tackle and you can also set who you want your playmaker to be

Whoever said it should be called Rugby League 1.1 was spot on, it's a big improvement to the first one, no doubt about it, but since the first one was one of the buggiest and least playable games i've played it could only go up from there.

I think the NRL have dropped the ball in allowing SidHE another chance at the game and they should look at getting a decent developers in for a 3rd installment. The reason I say that is that I'm not a fan of NHL but love the EA NHL range so now I know a fair few hockey players and more about the game than I ever would if I didn't play the game. If I wasn't a footy fan I wouldn't touch the game and I don't think anybody outside of league will, a great game could bring more fans to League but this offering is nothing more than a patched up version of a buggy game.

Razor

Coach
I think the NRL have dropped the ball in allowing SidHE another chance at the game and they should look at getting a decent developers in for a 3rd installment. The reason I say that is that I'm not a fan of NHL but love the EA NHL range so now I know a fair few hockey players and more about the game than I ever would if I didn't play the game.

The NRL contract is with HES who are the publishers. HES contract Sidhe as the developers.

You mention the EA NHL games. EA develop NHL in-house. However for the sports not played in the US like Cricket and Rugby they contract another company to develop the games. Those games suck. So getting EA to do it won't deliver you an NHL quality game for two reasons -

1. EA will contract out another company to do it.
2. The budget won't be as big.

LESStar58

Referee
Razor said:
It's not meant to be easy. If it went slowly you'll kick every goal.

It's easy to kick the ones near the post just like in real life, and more difficult the further out you get because it requires a much higher standard of accuracy.

Its probably more to do with the fact that when you press the button to kick/aim it doesnt go automatically....

Darth Bobo

Razor said:
The NRL contract is with HES who are the publishers. HES contract Sidhe as the developers.

You mention the EA NHL games. EA develop NHL in-house. However for the sports not played in the US like Cricket and Rugby they contract another company to develop the games. Those games suck. So getting EA to do it won't deliver you an NHL quality game for two reasons -

1. EA will contract out another company to do it.
2. The budget won't be as big.

I'm not saying EA should be the ones to do it just using the NHL games as an example of introducing new fans to the game and making them more aware of the players etc. Rugby League 2 is not a good enough of a computer game to get people who arnt footy fans to buy it therefore there is no new market introduced.

Jono078

Referee
Just a question for anyone that knows:

I'm yet to see the video ref. So my question is if I turn off cutscenes does that cause it to turn off video refs aswell ?

bulldog

Bench
Some commentary classics -

"He's done well to get out of the in goal, those sorts of things can turn matches" - from a kick-off

"The home sides ahead, that won't make the home crowd happy"

"20 mtr restart" - after catching a kick of in my own in-gaol

And a bug where the AI player caught the ball from a kick off and passed it into the post, the sound effect played as if the ball bounced off the posts and the ball disappeared for a split second, re-appeared out from the other post trajectory unchanged and straight into the arms of another player.

Moffo

Referee
lol

seriously though, im finding the gameplay fun. bugs make a game funny at times as long as they don't completely f**k it up :lol:

its a million times more playable then RL1, so i don't know how you could call it 1.1!

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Who was the company that developed Rugby 2005? that really is a great game and the best football game of either code by far.

supersoniceagle

Juniors
Jono078 said:
Just a question for anyone that knows:

I'm yet to see the video ref. So my question is if I turn off cutscenes does that cause it to turn off video refs aswell ?
No you'll still see video ref without cutscences

Munky

Coach
Rugby 05 was a shocker once you got into it.

It appeared good and then fell away as you discovered the depthless game play and crap AI.

sunny

I thought it sucked to start off with, Munky. Rugby 04 was much more fun for me.

Anyway, no surprise to see that the "gripes" thread is the largest active one at the moment :lol:

Jono078

Referee
I managed to find one bug last night.

The players on the opposing team just kind of paused and I managed to get the ball and run off with it.

Razor

Coach
Bugs

Major
  • When you kick near the line the computer has a habit of (with your players and their own) of running to the sideline to catch the ball, thereby giving the opposition a repeat six.
  • The advantage doesn't seem to be played except for the fact they don't automatically award a scrum/penalty. Ex. The computer knocked-on into their own in-goal. I picked the ball up and was tackled. I then had a goal line drop-out giving them a repeat six. It's better having advantage turned off
Minor

• Some commentary errors. Ex. From the kick-off I passed the ball back into the in-goal area and was tackled. Vossy said that the opponents get a repeat set of six, and they never had the ball in the match.
  • Some minor rule errors. Some penalty kick-to-touch has a scrum re-start instead of a tap restart. Always happens when you kick out on the full off kick-off. Other times it is usually correct with a tap.
  • Double-wrongs. I believe that incorrect ref rulings were built in the game to make it more realistic. But if it's blatant usually the commentator picks it up. A video-ref decision against me awarded the try even though he clearly dropped the ball. Vossy also said there was no doubt about that one.
Bad Implementations(Not bugs as it was done purposly)

• The Rugby League 2 logo continually flashing up on the screen between sections of play. Shouldn't be there at all
  • The asking if you want to save your franchise before starting a match. It should save automatically. It should also save whenever you exit franchise mode. You shouldn't be able to quit without saving.
  • Controller configuration. Should be able to be modified
  • Kick-off is bad. No way to change the height of the kick and only limited angles.

Latest posts