What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League All Golds vs Great Britain can humiliate Rugby Union

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
The Rugby Union World Cup Final will be played at 9 pm French time, or 8 pm UK time, on Saturday October 20th.

The historic All Golds Test against a Great Britain selection is scheduled to be played on the same day in Great Britain.

A direct clash can be avoided if the All Golds vs Great Britain match is played at 6 pm UK time, which is the time that Sky normally prefers to telecast rugby league, or earlier.

The contrast between exciting rugby league and boring rugby union will be presented to the British and Irish people perfectly if "All Golds" rugby league kicks off exactly two hours ahead of, and ends 15-20 minutes ahead of, the World Cup Final rugby union kick off.

It would be even better if the French "Sports +" canal was also to telecast the rugby league, with Rodolphe Pires in the commentator's box. Quel match!

bartman

Immortal
It will be interesting to see the UK broadcast arrangements for that weekend, whether the RUWC final is being carried live free-to-air nationwide on BBC or not, as opposed to the presumed 6pm Sky Sports coverage of the All Golds v NU commemorative clash.

I expect if any UK side makes the RUWC Final it won't be England, who lost to Wales and Ireland earlier this year. France and Ireland on form may be more of a chance, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is an all southern hemisphere final.

In which case broadcasting the All Golds match in France beforehand would be even more of an opportunity.

obelix

Juniors
bartman said:
It will be interesting to see the UK broadcast arrangements for that weekend, whether the RUWC final is being carried live free-to-air nationwide on BBC or not, as opposed to the presumed 6pm Sky Sports coverage of the All Golds v NU commemorative clash.

I expect if any UK side makes the RUWC Final it won't be England, who lost to Wales and Ireland earlier this year. France and Ireland on form may be more of a chance, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is an all southern hemisphere final.

In which case broadcasting the All Golds match in France beforehand would be even more of an opportunity.

ITV (free to air channel) has RU World Cup rights, as they've already started to remind us with their adverts :roll:. NU game will be on Sky.

I doubt many people other than the die hards will bother with the NU game. (I'll be going :))

There may be a limited benefit if it's on in the pub beforehand, but to be honest I don't think an Englandless RUWC final is really going to garner that much interest outside Rugby fans in England anyway.

Paley

Juniors
The Lions played the Kangaroos at rugby on the same day as the last union world cup final. I didn't watch the union world cup final but the rugby was great even though the Lions lost.

roughyedspud said:
yes they did, the 3rd test v australia @ huddersfield...the winning every test with 5mins to go series :cry:

Boy oh Boy did that series give me a heart attack....

Bloody Kangaroos

Nook

Bench
I still reckon that the first match of the 2003 series was one of the most captivating games of football you could ever hope to see.

While there have been a few floggings here and there, there have been some mind-boggling Aus v GB/NZ games in recent years. The Ashes in 2003, first two Aus v GB games in the 2004 Trinations, the 2005 Trinations final, Aus v NZ in Melbourne last year, and ofcourse the 2006 final. Gotta love test match footy.

brendothejet

First Grade
When all 3 of the big teams are given equal time to prepare and have teams ready and selceted on strength not just availablity Test Match footy has shown us in the last few years that its anyones game.

Australia just are that bit more polished when it comes to the final five minutes.

In-goal

Bench
The last 4 years has been woderful for test football, it's just a pitty the Sydney media don't see it that way.

Test football over the past 4 years has been better than SOO in my opinion, especialy that 2003 series who could forget those 3 epic matches.

roughyedspud

Coach
International RL said:
Boy oh Boy did that series give me a heart attack....

Bloody Kangaroos

how the hell do you think we feel.....:lol:

we'll never have a better chance to beat you 3-0:shock:

roughyedspud said:
how the hell do you think we feel.....:lol:

we'll never have a better chance to beat you 3-0:shock:

Haha yeah...I consider myself an adopted pom when it comes to Test Footy...So it hits me hard every time. My mate and I - also a passionate internationalist - just sit there in disbelief time after time after time...

The 2006 TN final...For god sake Webb! Kick it!!

Nook

Bench
I certainly look forward to Tests much more than Origin matches these days.

The softening up is brutal and more often than not the footy is better. The TN final in 2006 was just fantastic - in terms of the quality of a game of football and the atmosphere at the ground few matches I see in my lifetime will live up to it. The product is there and inevitably a broader spectrum of fans will come to see it.

Latest posts