What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Annual Question

Razor

Coach
In 2002 Ivan Cleary kicked 12 games in a match for the Warriors. It's included in the team records, but it isn't in the premiership records. It's Equal 4th all-time and the Annual lists 2 other players kicking 12, but he isn't on it. I checked in the past couple of years and he isn't listed in those either, so it wasn't just a mis-print this edition.

Razor

Coach
Human error is always inevitable.

But if it was human error then it would have been fixed up in the past 3 years. There's been 4 editions released without him on the list, so there must be some other reason.

*Paul*

Juniors
I also reckon that a major record is wrong, Mick Cronin's 1971 points, which I have as 1960.

jamesgould

Juniors
Crikey, the Mick Cronin one's a fair blunder if wrong!

There used to be an error printed year after year in those yearbooks, the score from an Ashes test way back in the day, don't know if it's ever been corrected. It was correct in the the detailed list published in Rugby League 1994, but in the summaries at the back of the book in the International section it wsas always wrong ...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'd chance a guess that Middleton's more correct than you Paul. Plus that stat is widely publicised as Halligan and then Taylor surpassed it. Now Johns has too.

jamesgould

Juniors
Just coz it's widely publicised doesn't mean it's right! I've come across a fair few typos in Middleton's yearbooks while compiling the stats section of my site, check the halftime score in Newcastle vs Warriors, round 6 2005 for instance.

I haven't come across a similar blunder with Paul's site yet ... but I'd say errors are equally possible from either, leaning towards Paul's being the more reliable.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I would be inclined to believe Paul's is wrong in this case, I'm guessing a try or two has gone missing in the 3 to 4 point try switch, and there seems to be four goals missing.

jamesgould

Juniors
Well, looking at the stats on Paul's site, whoever's worked out the 1971 points has mistakenly counted 1982 as 4 point tries, the 11 tries Cronin scored that year accounts for the difference between that and 1960 points!

*Paul*

Juniors
jamesgould said:
but I'd say errors are equally possible from either, leaning towards Paul's being the more reliable.
Well I don't know about that, but in Cronin's case, for it to be right he has to have scored 17 four point tries, but the RLW (supplied by Middleton himself, I believe) says 14. I might look further into one day.

*Paul*

Juniors
jamesgould said:
Well, looking at the stats on Paul's site, whoever's worked out the 1971 points has mistakenly counted 1982 as 4 point tries, the 11 tries Cronin scored that year accounts for the difference between that and 1960 points!
I have his goals different though as well, which could be my mistake. It's the tries thing that's the sticking point

jamesgould

Juniors
Well in that case ... this years yearbook says he scored 253 points in 1979 ... 15 tries and 104 goals. That's where the 11 points are ...

jamesgould

Juniors
St George 15 Parramatta 11 in the 1979 finals series is your problem - no scorers listed for Parra! What's the bet Cronin scored a try and booted 4 goals?

Well now I can't place my faith blindly in either source, blast haha.

*Paul*

Juniors
Brilliant stuff, James, and I know why that happened. Have to check it didn't happen elsewhere. Sorry to let you down, I'll sit in the corner and think about what I have done.

He did indeed score all 11 pts. My total is now the magic 1971, except it will be 75t 865g 2fg instead of 74t 865g 2fg. If that had gelled properly in the first place, I may've been more thorough in checking my record.

jamesgould

Juniors
No probs! :D

To round it all off, this years Middleton yearbook lists him as having the 74t 865g 2fg, but in the very next column for top Parramatta tryscorers lists him as having 75 tries! So the 74 is definitely a well-circulated typo ...

Whoosh

Juniors
I have a couple of questions which may/may not be appropriate in this thread.

Does anyone know if there was there a Big League Annual in 1981?

Besides Paul's great site, is there anywhere else that has historical stats listed (historical meaning 1986 backwards??)

Thanks. ;-)

Whoosh

Juniors
Thanks Paul. :D

I have 1975-1980 then 1982 to about 1995, but I can't find a 1981 in existence.

thanks for the link to. There's some good stuff on there.

6togo

Juniors
Anybody know what Graham Eadies record is for most points for the one club (all grades). I thought it was something like 2150. Surely Andrew Johns would be close to that as his first grade tally is 1998 and you would have thought he would have played 2 years in the grades before he got a crack at first grade in 1994.

Anyone with the answer let me know. I know it is in the Annual (Eadie's record) and somebody may have access to the Knights records?

*Paul*

Juniors
That's a very good call. The annual says Eadie's record was only 2070, and I've just done quick visual check throught the 93 ressies, 177 points. Even if that's only ballpark, I'd say he's the new record holder, and would've been for a while.

Latest posts