What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Banned From UK Defence Force

Pommy

Coach
UK defence force? No such thing exists.

League has been played by tri services for over 20 years. I believe it was played on a more local level well before this, ie regiments from the north etc.

taipan

Referee
From memory it was English Politicians with an affinity for rl, from the RL playing areas in the North,that ensured rugby league was played in the Armed Services.Circa early to mid 1990s.
AFAIK it's not banned.

jim_57

Staff member
m9tugw.jpg

Waiting for it...

deluded pom?

Coach
From memory it was English Politicians with an affinity for rl, from the RL playing areas in the North,that ensured rugby league was played in the Armed Services.Circa early to mid 1990s.
AFAIK it's not banned.
Correct although it was banned prior to the politicians pushing for it’s inclusion.

taipan

Referee
Correct although it was banned prior to the politicians pushing for it’s inclusion.

That's what I meant to say but didn't quite get there LOL.The pollie's involvement was due to that very fact ,the game was not accepted and accusations of discrimination were thrown around I understand.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
What era are they referring to? RL has been played in the armed services for a fair few years now.

Only 20 odd years, because it was blocked before that and only because people fought for the right to play it.....strange that you would have to fight for the right to play a sport..........I wonder why:rolleyes::rolleyes:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
UK defence force? No such thing exists.

League has been played by tri services for over 20 years. I believe it was played on a more local level well before this, ie regiments from the north etc.

Defence force meaning Army, Air Force etc....it's not that difficult to work out is it?

roughyedspud

Coach
We've played the army a few times in the challenge cup....awesome set of lads,we even signed a Fijian lad one year after we played them....Fiji and the British army have someone off agreement...hundreds of them train with our army every year...bless em

Pommy

Coach
We've played the army a few times in the challenge cup....awesome set of lads,we even signed a Fijian lad one year after we played them....Fiji and the British army have someone off agreement...hundreds of them train with our army every year...bless em

Commonwealth citizens can join the military. It’s not so much Fijians training with the British military as its Fijians in the military. I served with loads, pretty much every army/marine unit has a sizeable Fijian community.

Latest posts