What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby league is Sydney's number one code unless....

Brutus

Referee
The Swans make the grand final.

The Sydney media seems to forget about the sport that drives its sales during the season when the Swans make the final.

You watch RL take a back seat this week, particularly in the rag that likes to trumpet itself as the "official Swans' newspaper", but only when the Swans make the prelim final or GF. any other time the Swans can be found about 7 pages in from the back.

Mr Saab

Referee
League will always be Sydneys #1 code.
This is a bit like soccer when some of the media men said it will take over...yawn

choc_soldier

Coach
If the Dragons make the grand final, it'll help even the balance up a bit, especially if the media afforded to them this week is any indication.

If the Storm do, it'll be 80 / 20 coverage to AFL.

:crazy:

Parra Guru

Coach
pfffffft. Get over it. The Swans made the Grand Final so maybe they deserve the attention????

Hopefully we'll get one Sydney team through in the NRL, but don't pass the buck onto the Swans. They've worked hard to be where they are.

Brutus

Referee
There's no way AFL will take over, but it's interesting how league plays second fiddle when the Swans make the grand final. It happened last year and just going by the papers today, I think it will happen again.

It will be intriguing to see how the Melbourne media report the Storm if they make the GF with no Melbourne teams in the AFL GF.

Brutus

Referee
parra_panther said:
If the Storm do, it'll be 80 / 20 coverage to AFL.

:crazy:

Which is a shame considering Sydney is number one heartland of RL in the world and AFL for every other week of the year is nothing more than a sideshow.

Ryan Hoffman was on the front page of the Sports liftout in todays Herald Sun in melbourne painted head to toe in dark purple paint with a massive lightning bolt down the front, but the RL news and the article inside was about 15pages into the lift out with only a double page spread and barely anything on last nights game

Brutus

Referee
Collingwood Storm said:
Ryan Hoffman was on the front page of the Sports liftout in todays Herald Sun in melbourne painted head to toe in dark purple paint with a massive lightning bolt down the front, but the RL news and the article inside was about 15pages into the lift out with only a double page spread and barely anything on last nights game

Interesting CS.

Please keep us posted on the Melbourne coverage of the Storm this week if they happen to make the grand final.

gaterooze

Bench
Parra Guru said:
don't pass the buck onto the Swans. They've worked hard to be where they are.

Is that a joke? They get a massive salary cap concession. The AFL want to artificially hand them premierships to drive their marketing in the northern states.

The other team they gave similar cap concessions to? Brisbane Lions, handing them 3 straight premierships. It's a cynical ploy, and anyone who falls onto the bandwagon is a mug being taken for a ride.

the SMH need to take a good look at themselves , how can they justify the front page and front of the of the sport section about the swans?

the rugby league will have smashed the AFL in the ratings last night but on the 2nd biggest weekend for the NRL it doesnt even get one of these front pages? are they trying to limit sales to the north shore and eastern suburbs or do the left wing ideologs that work there just hate Rugby League that much?

Quidgybo

Bench
Brutus said:
There's no way AFL will take over, but it's interesting how league plays second fiddle when the Swans make the grand final. It happened last year and just going by the papers today, I think it will happen again.

It will be intriguing to see how the Melbourne media report the Storm if they make the GF with no Melbourne teams in the AFL GF.
There's no way the Storm would get as much attention in Melbourne as the Swans will get in Sydney. Not because of any conspiracy or insularity but simpy because our game hasn't put nearly as much effort into Melbourne as the AFL have put into Sydney over the last two decades. Quite frankly we don't deserve the same attention yet.

Leigh.

music_2000

Juniors
Brutus said:
The Swans make the grand final.

The Sydney media seems to forget about the sport that drives its sales during the season when the Swans make the final.

You watch RL take a back seat this week, particularly in the rag that likes to trumpet itself as the "official Swans' newspaper", but only when the Swans make the prelim final or GF. any other time the Swans can be found about 7 pages in from the back.

c'mon mate the "bloods" hadn't won in 72 years until they won last year and coach Roos is a great bloke, he's turned a group of boys into MEN for eg Tadhg Kenelly came from Ireland and never played aussie rules and look at him in last years GF he was instrumental in their win and considering there are no sydney teams left in the finals race, what is so wrong with that?

gateroozeIs said:
that a joke? They get a massive salary cap concession. The AFL want to artificially hand them premierships to drive their marketing in the northern states.

The other team they gave similar cap concessions to? Brisbane Lions, handing them 3 straight premierships. It's a cynical ploy, and anyone who falls onto the bandwagon is a mug being taken for a ride.
I have been a loyal swan for more than a decade so how would that explain our CONSECUTIVE WOODEN SPOONS from 1992-1994. (I think it was) are you just envious that your NRL heartland may be slowly eaten by another code?

(note guys I'm definately NOT anti NRL. I love it with a passion but I'm deeply offended by those anti AFL people who wont shut up about it)

Gene Krupa

Referee
music_2000 said:
c'mon mate the "bloods" hadn't won in 72 years until they won last year and coach Roos is a great bloke, he's turned a group of boys into MEN for eg Tadhg Kenelly came from Ireland and never played aussie rules and look at him in last years GF he was instrumental in their win and considering there are no sydney teams left in the finals race, what is so wrong with that?

I have been a loyal swan for more than a decade so how would that explain our CONSECUTIVE WOODEN SPOONS from 1991-1994. are you just envious that your NRL heartland may be slowly eaten by another code?

(note I'm definately not anti NRL. I love it with a passion but I'm deeply offended by those anti AFL people who wont shut up about it)

:roll: