What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League not offered at Australian University Games

Boys I need your help.

Rugby league is not being offered in any capacity at the australian university games in 2007 on the gold coast. That's right, the gold coast! Home to the newest NRL franchise.

In previous years Rugby League was offered in a 7's format at the eastern games (but not at the australian games - which really pissed me off as if you won easterns you didnt qualify for any additional tourament)

Due to the introduction of volutinary student unionism the eastern games are basically gone and the whole thing has consolidated into one tournament.

Except one problem....NO LEAGUE!

They're offering union 7's instead...of course AFL gets a run, as well as a host of other rubbish obscure sports. I can't believe they have done this...its outrageous and happens time and time again to our code.

I have emailed one of the guys in charge, as well as the titans (thought they might be able to something..anything), but any additional help would be awesome..

tony.jermyn@unisport.com.au
www.unigames.com.au

cheers boys and girls

just got an email that this bloke is out of the office until the 9th of march.

There are a heap of other people available under 'contact us' on the website.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Pfft.

We all know Uni games is just about getting absolutey sloshed in a new environment and then trying to stay upright in the game the following day.

Regardless of what you may think of it, do think that it is right that our sport is totally unrepresented.

just so you know, a few guys that have never played or had much to do with the game are avid followers and play local grade footy BECAUSE they went to the uni games and it allowed them to test the water.

If we aren't there they could be playing AFL.

but what else would i expect from fellow members of my code...cynicism and division.

Gibbo

Juniors
Griffith university Gold Coast has a joint venture in the local footy comp with a club side called the uni-Parkwood sharks. These guys have a pretty strong presence at the uni, and as its on the GC i'm assuming Griffith would have a fair stake in the games. If you get these guys involved it could be a goer, also it would be helpful to get the local Gold Coast rugby league onside so as to provide refs, access to nearby grounds etc

International RL said:
Boys I need your help.

Rugby league is not being offered in any capacity at the australian university games in 2007 on the gold coast. That's right, the gold coast! Home to the newest NRL franchise.

In previous years Rugby League was offered in a 7's format at the eastern games (but not at the australian games - which really pissed me off as if you won easterns you didnt qualify for any additional tourament)

Due to the introduction of volutinary student unionism the eastern games are basically gone and the whole thing has consolidated into one tournament.

Except one problem....NO LEAGUE!

They're offering union 7's instead...of course AFL gets a run, as well as a host of other rubbish obscure sports. I can't believe they have done this...its outrageous and happens time and time again to our code.

I have emailed one of the guys in charge, as well as the titans (thought they might be able to something..anything), but any additional help would be awesome..

tony.jermyn@unisport.com.au
www.unigames.com.au

cheers boys and girls

just got an email that this bloke is out of the office until the 9th of march.

There are a heap of other people available under 'contact us' on the website.

Unfortunately league doesn't currently boast a strong enough presence in university sport as it should. It's only played as sevens in the regional uni games and as you well know it doesn't attract great numbers. It's a shame because it's a good event. I think the northern uni games are better supported because the URL in Queensland is pretty good and also includes UNE and SCU as well as the Brisbane unis, plus USQ, CQU and JCU. League also loses players to other sports because there's so many on offer and league is one of the lower profile events. Ideally it'd be good to see full 13-a-side played at the uni games but really are the numbers there to do it?

airpoe

Juniors
So it seems even Union is more popular at universities than League.

Don't worry they should have a league comp at prison!:)

East Coast Tiger said:
Unfortunately league doesn't currently boast a strong enough presence in university sport as it should. It's only played as sevens in the regional uni games and as you well know it doesn't attract great numbers. It's a shame because it's a good event. I think the northern uni games are better supported because the URL in Queensland is pretty good and also includes UNE and SCU as well as the Brisbane unis, plus USQ, CQU and JCU. League also loses players to other sports because there's so many on offer and league is one of the lower profile events. Ideally it'd be good to see full 13-a-side played at the uni games but really are the numbers there to do it?

We could easily at my uni...

Mate if they can fill rubbish 'sports' like kendo and ultimate frisbee, rugby league HAS to be there...I don't care what presence it allegedly does or doesnt have.

airpoe said:

Yeah union is more popular, but only because its easier to play drunk and in a mediocre fashion. The old scholl tie brigade are there in numbers too.

International RL said:
We could easily at my uni...

Mate if they can fill rubbish 'sports' like kendo and ultimate frisbee, rugby league HAS to be there...I don't care what presence it allegedly does or doesnt have.
Kendo I'd imagine is an individual sport while ultimate frisbee is veru popular at uni, it's basically exclusively a sport played in unis. Traditionally league is not. If every uni that has a team competing in either the NSW or Qld Tertiary/Universities competitions or in local leages like CQU in the Rockhampton comp there would be enough to make it worthwhile at the uni games. BUT that doesn't seem to happen. I don't know why. Probably because players can't make the trip or because they're choosing other sports. We struggled to get five teams at Tamworth in 2005 as you well know and that was sevens.

***MH***

Bench
cool, they got squash.... remember when they used to have the league clubs squash challenge between the sydney nswrl teams ????

airpoe said:

I'm sure your job as one of the posts at those games will keep you occupied.

kooriguy

Juniors
it definetly does suck.. i asked about league at my uni and they only play yawnion so i give that the flick as did a few of the boys, the guy runing it even said league was for neanderthals too bad you are not allowed to hit lecturers.

Thomas

First Grade
East Coast Tiger said:

Yeah spot on there. I played both RU and RL in the 1990's for Griffith Uni in Brisbane and there was barely enough players playing RL in the weekly comp let alone for the Uni games. There were 2 RU teams though and the players used to play both codes when numbers were down.

And I agree...the Northern Uni games are great...possibly better than the national ones. We played 15 a side RU against teams from Rocky, Townsville, Gold Coast and Lismore as well as from Brisbane unis.

expansionist

Juniors
Did you Thomas?

I also played RU at griffith (1992 i think) and then RL at griffith (93, 94, 95) i think.....

the Uni comp in those days really impressed me. Wed night matches, and we we had 2 full teams with a strong travelling team also.

has it since gone downhill?

Thomas

First Grade
I went to Griffith in 1994 and played RU but didn't play RL until 1996 and 1997 or so.

I actually lived on campus at Mt Gravatt in 1994 and the RL comp was great. The RU boys used to go and watch the wednesday night games and the RL guys would come to the Griffith oval at Nathan to watch the Redbacks play RU.

And the Uni games were huge...the 1995 trip to Lismore remains up there for me...how we beat QUT with only 13 men (2 had gone AWOL after a night binge drinking) I will never know.

Pretty sure the RL team is still going okay (I think I saw their name in the team results in the paper last year) but as far as I know it, the Redbacks RU team disbanded around 2001. They never won a title but played in a few grand finals in the late 1990’s. We did have an Old Redbacks vs New Redbacks game in 1999 though…..the oldies won convincingly. We have a reunion every couple of years or so as well.

Good memories.

expansionist

Juniors
Ah yes the redbacks.. I always found it amusing that under the logo on our jerseys it said 'swing it wide' unfortunately when i played RU there the ball wouldnt have gone past inside centre once per season.

However the RL side had some great guys running it, very comitted and loyal guys who put a lot into it inlcuding their own money.

The spirit of the 2 RL teams was great and i always look back on those years fondly...