What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Rugby League Rules Ideas and Areas of Inprovement

siv

First Grade
1 - MRC member to sit in the bunker and review foul play incidents

2 - 5m in attack rule brought back. Stop people standing parrallel to the play the ball 1950s style

3 - remove the midfield scrum option

4 - reduce the 45 minute gap between games to 15 minutes. No onfield pre game warm ups

5 - remove the midfield advertising walls on the Eastern side of grounds, or behond ingoals. Only allow along fence electronic advertising at all grounds

6 - National Reserve grade

7 - setup a U23s state competition

8 - re-establish a mens U15s weekend knockout carnival

Serious one:

for the 9s form on the game, shrink the field. Take 10m off each side (45m or so width).

The smaller playing group if great, but stop them running around the edges. It looks like an athletics sprint

Nutz

Bench
Make performance enhancing drugs legal,
Scrap the salary cap and TPA's,
Unlimited interchange,
Each team must have at least one member of the opposite sex playing at all times, same goes for the NRLW,
Each team to include a physically challenged player and all types of people to wipe out bigotry,
No time limit on games, it keeps going until there is a result.
No sin bins, send offs or penalties. A player must take off his or her clothes according to the offence committed.

Nutz

Bench
Sorry but I can't agree with that one at all. With many of our rugby league media, that have NFI about the actual laws of the game. One of my former referee coaches told me about efforts that were made by the ARL to educate the old Channel 9 commentary team in the late 1990s about the rules, and he said they just refused to accept what was being told to them by people who were the actual coaches of the referees. He told me whilst Ray Warren got some of it, Fatty and Sterlo in particular were hopeless.

As such could you imagine the referee and bunker officials being grilled post match by idiots like Sloth, Kent, Hooper et al at the end every game? You'd just be exacerbating the focus on refereeing issues. It won't fix anything, just make it worse as they'll just carry on and on about it when the media don't agree. Also the Bunker official is back in Sydney and not at the ground anyways.
Good points. We have Anal-si to give his two bobs worth following the round, that's enough.
I must say though, the effort that coaches put into the post game presser is poor.

a separate tunnel for bald players to enter the field
To expand on this, all bald players to undergo a mandatory and comprehensive hair regrowth course at Ashley and Martin at the player's expense. This will be extended to coaches as well.

In lieu of this, they will require to have a toupee stapled to their scalps on game day.

This will serve to eliminate all bald jokes in the LU forums.

MugaB

Coach
To expand on this, all bald players to undergo a mandatory and comprehensive hair regrowth course at Ashley and Martin at the player's expense. This will be extended to coaches as well.

In lieu of this, they will require to have a toupee stapled to their scalps on game day.

images.jpeg-10.jpg
Fk this hair growth shit, fk this seperate tunnel,
fk u LU..... grumble grumble grumble

Nutz

Bench

I feel victimised :D Enough of the bald jokes.

siv

First Grade
Because it creates no creative play - 5 hit ups and kick
- forces teams to stand deeper
- will improve half, five eight and centre play
- block plays have entered the game
- stops dummy half forward passes
- contributes to tacklers not being able to getup

In the 1950s during the 0m rule you saw play the balls start to evolve into the old mini scrums, we are seeing the same trend re-entering the game

In saying this,, turning 64 in just over a month, I have a full head of thick hair.

I must have inherited my Mum's genes as Dad was half bald by the time he was in his early 30s. 😳

1 - MRC member to sit in the bunker and review foul play incidents

2 - 5m in attack rule brought back. Stop people standing parrallel to the play the ball 1950s style

3 - remove the midfield scrum option

4 - reduce the 45 minute gap between games to 15 minutes. No onfield pre game warm ups

5 - remove the midfield advertising walls on the Eastern side of grounds, or behond ingoals. Only allow along fence electronic advertising at all grounds

6 - National Reserve grade

7 - setup a U23s state competition

8 - re-establish a mens U15s weekend knockout carnival

Some good ideas, but some I doubt you have looked at the ramifications of what you propose.

In relation to 4, they have that gap as games do not run to a strict 80 minutes when you consider stoppages for foul play or injuries, and now for after goal kicks. Thus if you had 1 or more games on beforehand, you would be ending one game with players walking off the field well after the subsequent is trying to start. It happened in (iirc) the late 1980s-early 1990s when the NSWRL First Grade Grand Final started some 30 minutes late due to this, and also one of the lower grade games having to go to extra time. Yes its annoying for fans the wait, but the buffer is there for a very practical reason.

Item 5? Realistic chances of happening - 0. The clubs, the league and the stadiums earn money from that. Why the hell would you reduce your earning capacity? Sorry but that will never happen.

As to 6 and 7, where are you going to find the revenue to run these competitions? The NRL would have to find quit a bit of money to pay for transport and accommodation costs of teams and match officials, whilst the clubs would also have to find extra funds for incidentals not covered by the NRL. Cost is what killed off the national reserve grade competition, and one of the reasons that killed off the Holden/Toyota Cup competitions. Considering the money being pumped into the NRLW competition as it expands, the NRL's finances would be unlikely to be able to stretch to cover 2 extra national competitions too.

snickers007

Juniors
Sorry but I can't agree with that one at all. With many of our rugby league media, that have NFI about the actual laws of the game. One of my former referee coaches told me about efforts that were made by the ARL to educate the old Channel 9 commentary team in the late 1990s about the rules, and he said they just refused to accept what was being told to them by people who were the actual coaches of the referees. He told me whilst Ray Warren got some of it, Fatty and Sterlo in particular were hopeless.

As such could you imagine the referee and bunker officials being grilled post match by idiots like Sloth, Kent, Hooper et al at the end every game? You'd just be exacerbating the focus on refereeing issues. It won't fix anything, just make it worse as they'll just carry on and on about it when the media don't agree. Also the Bunker official is back in Sydney and not at the ground anyways.

I'm not sure people understand what they would get from a Ref's Post-match Press Conference. It would go exactly like this:

"Journalist": In the 62nd minute you called a knock on against X player that cleary went backwards. Can you talk us through that one?
Ref: From my point of view, the ball went towards the opposition goal, hence a knock on.
"Journalist": ....

They would be cancelled after the first week.

Whether you agree with the decisions made on the field or not, referees operate on matters of fact. If they make a decision it's because they saw something that leads to that decision. No matter how much grilling these journos put on them, they're not going to backtrack on anything ~30mins after the game without seeing video footage.

Nutz

Bench
Because it creates no creative play - 5 hit ups and kick
- forces teams to stand deeper
- will improve half, five eight and centre play
- block plays have entered the game
- stops dummy half forward passes
- contributes to tacklers not being able to getup

In the 1950s during the 0m rule you saw play the balls start to evolve into the old mini scrums, we are seeing the same trend re-entering the game
Most successful sides have attacking depth that promotes expansive play, swinging gates and changing direction. Those who don't are easily defended. The issue is its harder physically to play like that especially after defending repeat sets hence why completion rates are important. What we are seing is teams are adapting and we lose the battle of attrition.
Maybe we should just leave it. :rolleyes:

siv

First Grade
The clubs, the league and the stadiums earn money from that. Why the hell would you reduce your earning capacity? Sorry but that will never happen
The reason for this is because of two issues

- 1 - its already being displayed on the fence electronic banners a few metres behind it
- 2 - they block the views for people at the ground about 10-15 rows cant see the sidelines

Rather than penalising the gameday fans, the push should be to move games to rectangular venues, rather than oval venues

T-Boon

Coach
Most successful sides have attacking depth that promotes expansive play, swinging gates and changing direction. Those who don't are easily defended. The issue is its harder physically to play like that especially after defending repeat sets hence why completion rates are important. What we are seing is teams are adapting and we lose the battle of attrition.
Maybe we should just leave it. :rolleyes:
This is gibberish.

T-Boon

Coach
The main thing is it would just be a lot harder to roll up field with hit ups. Back in the time when it was difficult to hit the ball up field teams had to be a lot more creative.

Siv has covered a bunch of other good reasons.

Why have an attacking 0m rule?

Why require the defensive line to be back 10m?

T-Boon

Coach
Just watching Knights v Roosters reserve grade.
Knights kicked a 40-20.
Again I ask: whose idea was it to make a 40-20 a tap restart rather than a scrum? Defenses are scared of scrums inside the 20 whereas they have zero fear of a tap as they have the straight line of D ready (evidence for zero fear is line dropouts now).
They have further devalued the best rule change of the last 30 years.
Supercharge the rule by making it 40-30 and a scrum.

Latest posts