What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League World Cup 2012

mattystans000

Juniors
Hey,

If we can’t have 10 teams in 2008, what about 2012? All this commotion about there not being 12 teams in the 2008 world cup got me thinking if they opened it up in 2012, who the two spots would be allocated to. I thought simply enough that another Europe and Pacific team would be most logical.

With a 3rd spot for both Europe and the Pacific I thought that it was no longer realistic to have a European and Pacific team in the repechage, but I also thought that maybe the Atlantic wasn’t ready for a guaranteed entry into the world cup, so I came up with the idea that the lesser European nations could chance their arm at the world cup, especially if the Atlantic gets a chance.

With a realistic chance for a new European nation or an Atlantic team to make it through I see that in a few world cups they’ll really develop and benefit from the world stage, promoting rugby league to the world, which is what the world cup should be about.

I drew up a format for the 2012 world cup based on what was already happening for the 2008 qualifiers and wanted to post it here, open to criticism and adjustments by anyone and if it turned out any good it should be posted onto the RLIF if they get themselves actually up and running officially.

So here it is:
RugbyLeagueWorldCup2012.gif

colonel_123

Juniors
Why do Germany, Italy, Malta and Greece get an easier qualification route then Russia, Georgia, Netherlands and Serbia?

mattystans000

Juniors
hmmmm..... I didn't really notice that....

To revise it i'd give Euro C one spot, Atlantic one spot and 4th + 5th of Europe qualifiers a spot each. It's really experience that Euro C and the Atlantic teams need and to not go straight up against the big boys but someone just above their level would benefit them in the long run.

Thanks for pointing that blunder out.

pcpp

Juniors
My suggestion:

5 automatic qualifiers

Australia, NZ, England, PNG, France

Europe - 3 places

3 rounds of qualifying
Euro C - 4 teams, top two qualify for Euro B
Euro B - 6 teams in 2 groups, top two qualify for Euro A
Euro A - 6 teams in 2 groups, top two qualify for World Cup, Runner up of both groups play one match, winner of that match qualifys, loser goes to repechage

Pacific - 2 places

Top two teams qualify, 3rd place to repechage

Atlantic - 1 place

Top team qualifies, 2nd place to repechage

Repechage - 1 place

In your idea, I hate the fact that Pacific Teams have a 75% chance to qualify is ridiculous, winning one game would be enough to qualify.

bartman

Immortal
Good idea, and 12 teams seems logical. Just depends on the development of the game between now and then, and those new countries becoming eligible to compete.

I think the premise of who gets automatic entry needs to be debated again/decided first, and then we'll know what framework we have to work with for the remaining spots.

goeagles

Juniors
Can anyone explain how Japan and South Africa end up in the same "region"? Surely if you are going to call it Atlantic, Japan should go into the Pacific region.

colonel_123

Juniors
goeagles said:
Can anyone explain how Japan and South Africa end up in the same "region"? Surely if you are going to call it Atlantic, Japan should go into the Pacific region.

It was because they were late entrants in the qualifying process and they were pooled with the Atlantic countries.

I doubt they'd be in the same qualifying group for the 2012 world cup.

I think by 2010 or 2011 when any WC qualifiers will be taking place we'll have far more nations than those mentioned to compete, hopefully. The way Europe is going there could be 30 teams trying to qualify next time. How good would that be?

Woods99

Juniors
East Coast Tiger said:
I think by 2010 or 2011 when any WC qualifiers will be taking place we'll have far more nations than those mentioned to compete, hopefully. The way Europe is going there could be 30 teams trying to qualify next time. How good would that be?

Fantastic, in the proper sense of the word.:D

carlnz

Bench
I will wait to see how the 2008 World Cup goes before making any comments. But it would be good to see the World Cup go to a new country like SOuth Africa or USA.

Woods99 said:

There's 21 in this year's qualifying including the five that automatucally qualified. Add to that nations starting to play the game like Germany, Austria, Czech Rep. Estonia, Italy, Greece, Malta etc. 30 teams trying to qualify for 2012 seems pretty reasonable. In fact after doing that little count I'd say 40 is not out of the question.

Woods you are undeniably a complete and utter merkin - in the proper sense of the word.

taipan

Referee
Woods99 said:

Pretending to act prim and proper,in the true sense of the word.
Check the qualifying tournaments before making silly comments.

Woods99

Juniors
taipan said:
Pretending to act prim and proper,in the true sense of the word.
Check the qualifying tournaments before making silly comments.

Taipan,

Please direct me to the appropriate website.

Calixte

First Grade
You even know you are a coward don't you, Woods... :lol:

Good mates with elidecelis and gort nook no doubt.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I know it's overly ambitious, but shouldn't we be aiming to have more and more qualifiers for every World Cup. I'm not a fan of rugby union as a sport, but the way they've turned their World Cup into something truly 'global' is something that rugby league can draw inspiration from. Take a look at the convoluted and complicated way in which they're handling qualifying for their upcoming World Cup and tell me you're not the least bit intrigued to see the likes of Brazil, Spain, Ivory Coast, and Senegal all in attempting to qualify. Even if they're ordinary teams with no chance of winning a game, at least they're in with a real chance of making an appearance. I think it's a fact that every Union World Cup has had one new qualifier - we should be aiming to have a similar record.

As it is 2012 (in the example) is looking like having a few new teams attempting qualification in Germany, Malta, Italy, and Greece - but I'd be hoping for more than that. What about Morocco? Didn't Indonesia have word of rugby league developing there?

My point is, the World Cup will continue to be looked at as somewhat farcical as long as rugby league's 'depth' of nations is so pitiful. It's bad enough that there's really only one or two nations truly capable of winning it - worse that we're barely making any ground in adding additional nations to our pool. Rugby Union's IRB lists 96 rugby union playing nations - do we even have a definitive list?

Kurt Angle

First Grade
5 auto qualifiers

Australia
England
France
NZ
PNG

(Home Nations) 2 spots
Wales
Scotland
Ireland

(Continental Europe) 2 spots
Russia
Georgia
Holland
Germany
Serbia
Lebanon

(Pacific) 2 spots
Fiji
Tonga
Samoa
Cook Islands
Japan

(Atlantic) 1 spot
USA
West Indies
Argentina
South Africa

taipan

Referee
Woods99 said:
Taipan,

Please direct me to the appropriate website.

Try to let your fingers do the walking ole son, hint for starters
rlef.eu.com

It ain't perfect but like the brown stuff its happening.;-)
Must go now,there are more pressing things in the pipeline.
Of course we are told rugby league is only played in 3 countries,so your interest is rather :roll:

Woods99

Juniors
taipan said:
Try to let your fingers do the walking ole son, hint for starters
rlef.eu.com

It ain't perfect but like the brown stuff its happening.;-)
Must go now,there are more pressing things in the pipeline.
Of course we are told rugby league is only played in 3 countries,so your interest is rather :roll:

It doesn't take much effort to get a few Aussies together to play the occasional game of league, does it.

Who said that league is only played in three countries? I can think of at least six.

After all those years of private school education Woods can't count past six.

There's 20-odd with national club comps. How many teams in the Australian national union club comp this year? Seems union has a hell of a lot of trouble getting "a few Aussies together" to play a national club comp in their own country.

Latest posts