What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Leagues Problem

VictoryFC

Bench
I see what you're saying, but its been about 5 years since 2003. Some new figures would be good

Cheezel

Juniors
Rugby Leagues real problem is the information contained within this link
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/ABS@...57e1c764bfa85942ca256f7200832fbc!OpenDocument

Look at the difference in participation rates from 2000 to 2003. This is the worrying part, not SBW leaving for France.

Thats a bit outdated! Get with the times!

Maybe you should look at this link that has all the codes.
http://www.convictcreations.com/football/battlestats.html

Some intersting points

"The Australian Rugby League’s concerted effort to develop the game within Victoria has resulted in a 138.7% increase in total participation in the region (20,495 participants in 2006, up from 8,587 in 2005), while Victorian school registrations alone have risen 161%."
"The NSW Country region enjoyed similar success, with total participants in 2006 reaching 108,518, compared to 98,983 in 2005 – an increase of 9.6%."
"The Australian Rugby League’s schools program continues to flourish, with the total participation rate in schools nationally rising by 16.8%, while junior club registrations have also enjoyed a national growth rate of 3.6%."
"Significantly, an increase of 37% in total participation rates – i.e at junior and senior levels - within the ARL’s Affiliated States (Victoria, Western Australia, Northern Territory and South Australia) has contributed to a national total participation rate rise of 11.2% (371,557 in 2006, up from 223,204 in 2005), and shown that more kids are experiencing Rugby League than ever before."
"Other figures of importance include the success of ARL Development’s Smaller Steps Program, which has resulted in 110,250 children participating in 22,874 clinics held in 2006, and a total of 190,649 taking part in Rugby League Gala Days such as the Legends of League competition and ARLD Cup.
Overall, a total of 874,258 kids received a rugby league experience of some capacity in 2006."

My favourite part :D

In August 2006, a Rugby Union test between Australia and New Zealand was played to a sell out crowd of 52,000 in Brisbane. The game was watched by around 350,000 on free-to-air TV in Sydney. A home and away NRL game that weekend drew 7,000 to Telstra Stadium, yet the game outrated Union's test match.
Of the 50 top-rating sports programs in Australia in 2005, 12 were AFL, six were League and not one was Rugby. Not even the Bledisloe Cup made the list.

and

Of the top 100 programs of all types on pay TV in 2006, 73 were Rugby League. The NRL had eight in the top 10.

and
Super 14 crowds
NSW Waratahs
2006 average crowd - 29,929
2007 average crowd - 21,872 ( down 27 per cent.)

2007 "grudge match" between NSW and Queensland - 21,872
Queensland Reds
2006 average crowd - 23,154
2007 average crowds - 18,101 (down 21 per cent)

ACT Brumbies
2006 average crowd 21-22,000
2007 average crowd - 17,813 (down 22 per cent)

Western Force
2006 - 28,385
2007 - 27,000 ( down five per cent)​

Yngwie_70

Juniors
Thats a bit outdated! Get with the times!

Maybe you should look at this link that has all the codes.
http://www.convictcreations.com/football/battlestats.html

Some intersting points

"The Australian Rugby League’s concerted effort to develop the game within Victoria has resulted in a 138.7% increase in total participation in the region (20,495 participants in 2006, up from 8,587 in 2005), while Victorian school registrations alone have risen 161%."
"The NSW Country region enjoyed similar success, with total participants in 2006 reaching 108,518, compared to 98,983 in 2005 – an increase of 9.6%."
"The Australian Rugby League’s schools program continues to flourish, with the total participation rate in schools nationally rising by 16.8%, while junior club registrations have also enjoyed a national growth rate of 3.6%."
"Significantly, an increase of 37% in total participation rates – i.e at junior and senior levels - within the ARL’s Affiliated States (Victoria, Western Australia, Northern Territory and South Australia) has contributed to a national total participation rate rise of 11.2% (371,557 in 2006, up from 223,204 in 2005), and shown that more kids are experiencing Rugby League than ever before."
"Other figures of importance include the success of ARL Development’s Smaller Steps Program, which has resulted in 110,250 children participating in 22,874 clinics held in 2006, and a total of 190,649 taking part in Rugby League Gala Days such as the Legends of League competition and ARLD Cup.
Overall, a total of 874,258 kids received a rugby league experience of some capacity in 2006."

My favourite part :D

In August 2006, a Rugby Union test between Australia and New Zealand was played to a sell out crowd of 52,000 in Brisbane. The game was watched by around 350,000 on free-to-air TV in Sydney. A home and away NRL game that weekend drew 7,000 to Telstra Stadium, yet the game outrated Union's test match.
Of the 50 top-rating sports programs in Australia in 2005, 12 were AFL, six were League and not one was Rugby. Not even the Bledisloe Cup made the list.

and

Of the top 100 programs of all types on pay TV in 2006, 73 were Rugby League. The NRL had eight in the top 10.

and
Super 14 crowds
NSW Waratahs
2006 average crowd - 29,929
2007 average crowd - 21,872 ( down 27 per cent.)

2007 "grudge match" between NSW and Queensland - 21,872
Queensland Reds
2006 average crowd - 23,154
2007 average crowds - 18,101 (down 21 per cent)

ACT Brumbies
2006 average crowd 21-22,000
2007 average crowd - 17,813 (down 22 per cent)

Western Force
2006 - 28,385
2007 - 27,000 ( down five per cent)​

The only problem with this information is that the part about Rugby league has been sourced form NRL.com. Really objective. The ABS would be a little ore objective if a little out of date. The point of the post though is that Rugby League and Rugby Union are losing juniors, presumably to Football. This is RL and RU's major threat. AFL to some extent but it suffers from lack of international exposure.

Cheezel

Juniors
The only problem with this information is that the part about Rugby league has been sourced form NRL.com. Really objective. The ABS would be a little ore objective if a little out of date. The point of the post though is that Rugby League and Rugby Union are losing juniors, presumably to Football. This is RL and RU's major threat. AFL to some extent but it suffers from lack of international exposure.

That would be the reply I expected from someone who does not like reading the truth.

Just on Football, most kids start out play soccer. Some then go on to other sports. It has always been like that and always will be. Soccer is a easy and safe sport for kids to play.

Tell me.....what is your sport of choice?

VictoryFC

Bench
That would be the reply I expected from someone who does not like reading the truth.

Just on Football, most kids start out play soccer. Some then go on to other sports. It has always been like that and always will be. Soccer is a easy and safe sport for kids to play.

See I'd disagree to some extent now. These same soccer kids never had any real opportunities that they are presented with now (youth league, A-League, asian competition + socceroos rise to prominence on the Australian sporting landscape). Kids will switch over still no doubt, but they will begin to retain more and more as soccer grows. You may disagree completely and thats fine, and trust, Im not trying to be a troll.

Yngwie_70

Juniors

My preferred is football. I do like Rugby Union and Rugby League, tolerate is the word for AFL. What truth. The stats are there, I did not make them up. That would be the reply from someone who read the truth, did not like them and turned on the messenger.
Rugby league and rugby union's problem is one of perception; Many mums see little Johnny who might be in the Under 8's and weigh 30kg come up against Sammy the Islander kid, who weighs double the weight. The perception, rightly or wrongly is that Johhny will get hurt. This is the unfortunate thinking both rugby codes have. Football has always had a negative image in AUS and USA but thats about it. The Beautiful Game appeals to all body types, even girls up to the age of 12. That is one hell of an advantage! (Some say that rugby (union and league) ) was invented for those not skillful enough for football!

Frailty

First Grade

You are correct... It is sourced from the NRL which does compromise it's objectivity... However, the author has accounted for this by also using independent sources, as well as sources from the AFL, and ARU to determine stats about those areas. So it the NRL showing their best vs. AFL showing their best vs. ARU showing their best.

Cheezel

Juniors
See I'd disagree to some extent now. These same soccer kids never had any real opportunities that they are presented with now (youth league, A-League, asian competition + socceroos rise to prominence on the Australian sporting landscape). Kids will switch over still no doubt, but they will begin to retain more and more as soccer grows. You may disagree completely and thats fine, and trust, Im not trying to be a troll.

You make a valid point. But soccer from a participation perspective has always been the dominate code in nearly every country around the world. In NSW and QLD rugby league gets wall to wall blanket coverage during the winter months along with AFL. As long as this continues kids will continue to play league.

I know people who have never played a game of rugby league in there life and they love the game. Also what all these stats fail to mention is the amount of people who play Touch Football. So as much as it's great to have a healthy participation rate it is not the only thing that makes a sport healthy and popular from a $$$$$ point of view.

Yngwie_70

Juniors
You make a valid point. But soccer from a participation perspective has always been the dominate code in nearly every country around the world. In NSW and QLD rugby league gets wall to wall blanket coverage during the winter months along with AFL. As long as this continues kids will continue to play league.

I know people who have never played a game of rugby league in there life and they love the game. Also what all these stats fail to mention is the amount of people who play Touch Football. So as much as it's great to have a healthy participation rate it is not the only thing that makes a sport healthy and popular from a $$$$$ point of view.

I have never played rugby league in my life and I like the game. But touch football is not rugby league in so much as indoor soccer or fusbal is. The problem is the rapidly declining numbers playing both league and union. Since the Socceroos made the world cup, they have undoubtedly become this nations number one national team (overtaking the wallabies) Cricket is a close second but it suffers from being that much better than any other nation syndrome.

Yngwie_70

Juniors
Answer to thread = trolls (judging by most of the participants to date)

So if I like rugby league and point out some of its problems then I am a troll. As opposed to you who ONLY likes rugby league, sees no problem with it at all and you are not a troll.

Cheezel

Juniors
My preferred is football. I do like Rugby Union and Rugby League, tolerate is the word for AFL. What truth. The stats are there, I did not make them up. That would be the reply from someone who read the truth, did not like them and turned on the messenger.
Rugby league and rugby union's problem is one of perception; Many mums see little Johnny who might be in the Under 8's and weigh 30kg come up against Sammy the Islander kid, who weighs double the weight. The perception, rightly or wrongly is that Johhny will get hurt. This is the unfortunate thinking both rugby codes have. Football has always had a negative image in AUS and USA but thats about it. The Beautiful Game appeals to all body types, even girls up to the age of 12. That is one hell of an advantage! (Some say that rugby (union and league) ) was invented for those not skillful enough for football!

Now I know why your posting articles from 2003 to show league in a negitive light. That would be like me pulling up stats on soccer before the A-league came in. :roll:

That perception has always been the case and always will be for mum's. We all know Soccer is the World Game but in Australia it really does not come on the radar until the League and AFL season has finished. With the RL World Cup on as well it will get even less exposure this year.....except in VIC who are really carrying the A-league at the moment.

Calixte

First Grade
So if I like rugby league and point out some of its problems then I am a troll. As opposed to you who ONLY likes rugby league, sees no problem with it at all and you are not a troll.

Why quote stats from 2003 then?

5 years ago.

Currently, the figures are more like 65,000 union and 400,000+ rugby league for participation. Hence union has no depth and RL plenty.

Yngwie_70

Juniors
Now I know why your posting articles from 2003 to show league in a negitive light. That would be like me pulling up stats on soccer before the A-league came in. :roll:

That perception has always been the case and always will be for mum's. We all know Soccer is the World Game but in Australia it really does not come on the radar until the League and AFL season has finished. With the RL World Cup on as well it will get even less exposure this year.....except in VIC who are really carrying the A-league at the moment.

I said football is my game and I like the rugby codes. Ok then pull up stats on football statistics of participation rates for kids pre A-league. I call your bluff!

Calixte

First Grade
And while discussing participation, Cheezel is on the money.

The AFL includes Auskick in its figures of around 600,000.

RL ONLY includes structured comps in its 400,000+.

With touch, a natural pathway to league given it is 6 touches instead of 6 tackles and not unlike the AFL's use of Auskick figures (which is basically learning to kick a football), the figures for RL explode exponentially...

Yngwie_70

Juniors
Why quote stats from 2003 then?

5 years ago.

Currently, the figures are more like 65,000 union and 400,000+ rugby league for participation. Hence union has no depth and RL plenty.

I used the most recent ABS stats. Your source is ??????????????????????

Calixte

First Grade
I said football is my game and I like the rugby codes. Ok then pull up stats on football statistics of participation rates for kids pre A-league. I call your bluff!

Your posts to date show you to be a union troll, pure and simple...

Cheezel

Juniors
I have never played rugby league in my life and I like the game. But touch football is not rugby league in so much as indoor soccer or fusbal is. The problem is the rapidly declining numbers playing both league and union. Since the Socceroos made the world cup, they have undoubtedly become this nations number one national team (overtaking the wallabies) Cricket is a close second but it suffers from being that much better than any other nation syndrome.

I am glad you like the game.

:lol: fusbal...........now your clutching at straws

Rapidly declining numbers? For Union yes.....for League no! Please still to the facts and don't make things up.

Soccer is riding on the back of the Socceroos, once they have a few bad years and miss out on the World Cup interest will start to drop. The A-League is going great at the moment no denying that. But the competition is still running at a loss. So crowds outside VIC need to start improving. You only need to look at the Australian Basketball to see what happens when teams with little history make a loss year on year.

Calixte

First Grade
I used the most recent ABS stats. Your source is ??????????????????????

Those figures have been quoted in numerous threads on LU (with sources) over the last 6 months...mainly TFC.

You wouldn't know. You haven't been here. Go find them yourself.