What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Leagues Problem

Yngwie_70

Juniors
Those figures have been quoted in numerous threads on LU (with sources) over the last 6 months...mainly TFC.

You wouldn't know. You haven't been here. Go find them yourself.

So you cant find the source of your information then Hmm, I never knew gut feel was scientific. But hey you are one eyed so what more did I expect. Show me the money Cal! Where did you make up, I mean get these figures from. You cant just throw them out as fact if you have no data.

Yngwie_70

Juniors
I am glad you like the game.

:lol: fusbal...........now your clutching at straws

Rapidly declining numbers? For Union yes.....for League no! Please still to the facts and don't make things up.

Soccer is riding on the back of the Socceroos, once they have a few bad years and miss out on the World Cup interest will start to drop. The A-League is going great at the moment no denying that. But the competition is still running at a loss. So crowds outside VIC need to start improving. You only need to look at the Australian Basketball to see what happens when teams with little history make a loss year on year.

Touch football has as much to do with Rugby league as Flick footy. Get a grip. Mothers wont mind their kids playing touch but there it is a game of speed and skill, not raw power.

Calixte

First Grade
So you cant find the source of your information then Hmm, I never knew gut feel was scientific. But hey you are one eyed so what more did I expect. Show me the money Cal! Where did you make up, I mean get these figures from. You cant just throw them out as fact if you have no data.

The 65,000 for union was from the IRB stats.

The 400,000+ was released by either the ARL or NRL in a press release during the current season.

Calixte

First Grade
Touch football has as much to do with Rugby league as Flick footy. Get a grip. Mothers wont mind their kids playing touch but there it is a game of speed and skill, not raw power.

As is much junior RL, troll.

And senior RL for that matter. How many small, fast, skilful players have graced RL? Do you want a list...?

:lol:

Yngwie_70

Juniors
The 65,000 for union was from the IRB stats.

The 400,000+ was released by either the ARL or NRL in a press release during the current season.

WOW, the NRL, AFL ARU. All very credible sources when it comes to relaying information about their codes participation rate. You will notice that included other codes in there because they would be just as objective as the rest. I used ABS stats. Now unless you think they are somehow "bought" show me the data, it it exists?

I dont understand why you keep defending the undefendable. I have told you that I like RL yet you go on as though anybody who posts anything contrary to your viewpoint is somehow evil. Dont be so defensive.

Yngwie_70

Juniors
As is much junior RL, troll.

And senior RL for that matter. How many small, fast, skilful players have graced RL? Do you want a list...?

Heaps, and the more the merrier. But could Sam Backo play touch? Or Petro Civoniceva, Glenn Lazarus, Steve Roach, Greg Dowling, Webcke, Pat Jarvis, etc etc etc!

Calixte

First Grade
WOW, the NRL, AFL ARU. All very credible sources when it comes to relaying information about their codes participation rate. You will notice that included other codes in there because they would be just as objective as the rest. I used ABS stats. Now unless you think they are somehow "bought" show me the data, it it exists?

I dont understand why you keep defending the undefendable. I have told you that I like RL yet you go on as though anybody who posts anything contrary to your viewpoint is somehow evil. Dont be so defensive.

Yes you did. ABS stats woefully out of date.

Congratulations on your WC Final that was just held the other day. You know the one at Stadium Australia (as it was then known).

You're living in the past, man! By 5 years to be precise... :cool:

Calixte

First Grade
Heaps, and the more the merrier. But could Sam Backo play touch? Or Petro Civoniceva, Glenn Lazarus, Steve Roach, Greg Dowling, Webcke, Pat Jarvis, etc etc etc!

What about your mate Dunning?

Only if he got away from Maccas long enough...

Cheezel

Juniors

Yes I Agree Diveball does have some acting skills involved.:D

Just another question...... why is someone who does not like league hang out on a league forum? From the posts I have seen you don't have one positive thing to say about league....except for....I like league :shock:

You post data from 2003 and come up with a greta post "Rugby Leagues Problem" I think everyone on here can read between the lies.

Yngwie_70

Juniors
Yes you did. ABS stats woefully out of date.

Congratulations on your WC Final that was just held the other day. You know the one at Stadium Australia (as it was then known).

You're living in the past, man! By 5 years to be precise... :cool:

They are the most up to date. Of course you have stats that say RL has 400,000+ but cant show anybody yet. What are they? Weapons of Mass Destruction. SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!! But you have stumbled upon the one thing most politicians stumble upon; it is impossible to prove a LIE!

Calixte

First Grade
They are the most up to date. Of course you have stats that say RL has 400,000+ but cant show anybody yet. What are they? Weapons of Mass Destruction. SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!! But you have stumbled upon the one thing most politicians stumble upon; it is impossible to prove a LIE!

So a big football fan.

Why are 95% of your posts so far about RL v RU then?

Yngwie_70

Juniors
Yes I Agree Diveball does have some acting skills involved.:D

Just another question...... why is someone who does not like league hang out on a league forum? From the posts I have seen you don't have one positive thing to say about league....except for....I like league :shock:

You post data from 2003 and come up with a greta post "Rugby Leagues Problem" I think everyone on here can read between the lies.

I will tell you why. I have been a Souths supporter for since I was 8. Since SUper League my interest waned considerably and then Souths were kicked out of the comp. Since re-admission I have slowly got back into it but not as much as when I was young. I have watched RL slip since then. Unfortunately, the writing is on the wall for the sport to endure more tough times. Tell me honestly, do you think league (the playing of it is exceptional I love it) administration and the direction it is taking is positive?

Yngwie_70

Juniors
So a big football fan.

Why are 95% of your posts so far about RL v RU then?

Because they are similar in many ways. Similar problems, similar skills required. But as I have stated many times, I like both. SOuths in League and Eastwood in Rugby. Now I have answered your question, what about mine; Where are those stats you keep tossing out?

Frailty

First Grade
My preferred is football. I do like Rugby Union and Rugby League, tolerate is the word for AFL. What truth. The stats are there, I did not make them up. That would be the reply from someone who read the truth, did not like them and turned on the messenger.
Rugby league and rugby union's problem is one of perception; Many mums see little Johnny who might be in the Under 8's and weigh 30kg come up against Sammy the Islander kid, who weighs double the weight. The perception, rightly or wrongly is that Johhny will get hurt. This is the unfortunate thinking both rugby codes have. Football has always had a negative image in AUS and USA but thats about it. The Beautiful Game appeals to all body types, even girls up to the age of 12. That is one hell of an advantage! (Some say that rugby (union and league) ) was invented for those not skillful enough for football!

Sorry... I know this was a few pages back but I had to pull you up here...

You are correct about perception, that part is true because in actual fact League is one of the safest junior sports in Australia - even safer than netball.

For future reference, please remember that girls are allowe to play League with boys until Under 10s, and then a lot of districts have all-girl competitions - such as the Parramatta District - just like your 'beautiful game'.

Now I'm not normally one to pull up typos or poor grammar, but this is just disgraceful and an example of why there is no brain in your head. Reading that sentence would mean your sentence starts with "was invented...". Learn how to use brackets.

Furthermore, as much as you would like to keep saying your statistics are superior, speak to any academic researcher and they will say 2003 stats are terribly out of date when talking about a contemporary issue. Furthermore, they will also tell you that you do not neglect the statistics that would be released by the organisation itself either - in this case the NRL. The way they are presented may demonstrate bias, but the actual statistics won't - they will say how they calculated them. In addition, you will find that the ABS aren't the number one source of statistics academic researchers will turn to as they a very impersonal and do not account for misunderstandings of the questions. For example, if someone is asked 'does your son/daughter play soccer on the weekend?' you would get a different answer to 'does your son/daughter play soccer in a local competition on the weekend that is run through the organisational structure of Football Australia?'

No one is saying the game is the best position it could be - it could be FAR better. But coming in and presenting 5 year old statistics may satisfy your school teacher, however it does not provide sufficient up to date evidence for any form of researcher....

You don't happen to work for the telegraph do you?

Ziggy the God

First Grade
I will tell you why. I have been a Souths supporter for since I was 8. Since SUper League my interest waned considerably and then Souths were kicked out of the comp. Since re-admission I have slowly got back into it but not as much as when I was young. I have watched RL slip since then. Unfortunately, the writing is on the wall for the sport to endure more tough times. Tell me honestly, do you think league (the playing of it is exceptional I love it) administration and the direction it is taking is positive?

So how did you feel when we made the Top 8 last year after missing out since 1989?

Any true Souths supporter was over the moon, and rightly so.

Did you even watch our run into the finals?

taipan

Referee
The only problem with this information is that the part about Rugby league has been sourced form NRL.com. Really objective. The ABS would be a little ore objective if a little out of date. The point of the post though is that Rugby League and Rugby Union are losing juniors, presumably to Football. This is RL and RU's major threat. AFL to some extent but it suffers from lack of international exposure.

The figures have to tie in with the ABS ones.The ARL figures in the pasthave been too conservative,they did not include schools.The AFL include AFL Auskick a short session,whereas the NRL doesn't include those type sessions.
The participation rates gallop stated on Tv are now over 400,000,(incl
registered and schools).
This year there has been a 33% increase in junior participation in WA,and Victoria is up.
The figures have been tracking up since 2006.
Still await the final 08 figures.

Last edited: