What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Leagues Problem

Your posts to date show you to be a union troll, pure and simple...

troll!!!

the big thing with trolls these days is that they have so much usable ammo to fire at us.

it makes me laugh. good for you, trolls. I applaud the more than ever blatantly easy task you have of upsetting the less secure members of the forum.

troll!!

seriously now

the problem with rugby league is rugby league itself.

the game is up sh1t creek. and its time for those in charge to admit it and make drastic changes and or fall on their swords.

fans, i implore you, its time for you to ACCEPT these radical changes. or you will never watch rugby league again in its current form.

given the resistance to change, i often wonder, maybe league has die first before it can rise from the ashes born anew in another comp/form. because in the current scheme of things, sheesh, why bother; as any decent comp is going to look WAY DIFFERENT to what it does now.

the game is a laughing stock because of these things and more

Last edited:

Coaster

Bench
Another manager saying companies are not allowed to put in more money due to salary cap restrictions.

SCOTT PRINCE'S manager, Steve Robinson, says the Gold Coast star could earn at least another $150,000 per season if the NRL relaxed third-party agreement rules.

Robinson told the Herald that club sponsors were keen to get involved with Prince, but were prevented from doing so because of the rules.

Existing club sponsors can spend $150,000 per year on players, with a ceiling of $50,000 for any individual player. The money can be split between anywhere from three players to 10.

Prince, who is out injured, is co-captain of the Titans and their best player, but is not one of the so-called marquee players earning any of the $150,000.

"[Luke] Bailey and [Preston] Campbell were among the first players who signed for Gold Coast when the club was getting off the ground and they each got the $50,000 marquee payment in their deals," Robinson said yesterday.

"Then Princey came on-board, but at that stage there was a limit of two players for marquee deals. It went up to three later, but Scott had already finalised his contract and the third-party deals have to be done as part of the contracts. Mat Rogers ended up getting the remaining marquee payment."

Third-party agreements with sponsors who are not existing club backers are not restricted, as long as they are not with a sponsor whose product is in direct opposition with a club or NRL sponsor.

Robinson said Prince had several deals with sponsors not connected to the Titans, but that their total value was still under six figures. He said Prince's best earning potential - outside of his contract money - would be with existing club sponsors.

"I don't think there is any doubt Princey could pick up another $150,000-plus per season in third-party payments if the rules were relaxed," Robinson said. "Numerous sponsors of the Titans have told me they would like to do something with Scott, but they are prevented by the rules."

Robinson would not reveal what Prince earns from his club, but the Herald understands he is getting $440,000 per season on a deal that runs for another two years after this season - with an option for Prince to take a further year.

That makes Prince one of the highest-earning players in the competition, but on his form this season he is worth every cent. He was the NRL's form player before he broke his arm playing for Queensland in Origin III.

Robinson said Prince accepted he was well paid, but that like every footballer his career on the field was limited. And like anyone else, Prince had the right to try to earn as much as he could.

Robinson added that Sonny Bill Williams walking out on the Bulldogs to play rugby union in France had further highlighted the potential for players to be lost overseas. He said if there was the potential for star players to earn more through sponsorship, then the NRL should consider changing the rules to allow it.

"The league has relaxed the third-party rules to some degree already and that was a good move," Robinson said.

"But there are still significant restrictions and if relaxing them helps keep star players in Australia, that is obviously a good thing for the clubs and the NRL. League in England is still the biggest threat when it comes to attracting NRL players.

"I should point out that Scott isn't interested in playing rugby union. He loves playing in the NRL and he wants to play more Origin and more Test matches. He may consider playing in England later in his career.

"But if there is the potential for a star player who is good for the game, like Scott, to earn more through sponsorship then I think it's worth looking at making it possible for him to do that. As long as everyone involved was honest and upfront about deals then I believe a relaxing of the rules would work.

"Scott is great for the game. He looks good, he speaks well, he's enthusiastic and he doesn't get into any trouble. Putting his face on things would promote the game, as well as him."
SOURCE : Sydney Morning Herald SMH.com.au

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Rugby League's problem at the moment is the fact that in the last 10 years they've repeatedly turned down the backing of a millionaire to "go it on their own" with a smaller consortium on the Gold Coast. While a brilliant move, he's now telling us to f*ck off and this great region is in peril of NOT having a team.

Short-sightedness and foolish pride in the management ranks is a BIG problem right now.

Yngwie_70

Juniors
So how did you feel when we made the Top 8 last year after missing out since 1989?

Any true Souths supporter was over the moon, and rightly so.

Did you even watch our run into the finals?

You bet Ziggy. I went out to 6 or 7 games last year but the best moment was the victory over the Tigers.

Cheezel

Juniors
I will tell you why. I have been a Souths supporter for since I was 8. Since SUper League my interest waned considerably and then Souths were kicked out of the comp. Since re-admission I have slowly got back into it but not as much as when I was young. I have watched RL slip since then. Unfortunately, the writing is on the wall for the sport to endure more tough times. Tell me honestly, do you think league (the playing of it is exceptional I love it) administration and the direction it is taking is positive?

So your one of those poeple that use the Super League war as an excuse to hate league! What a load of rubbish!

You must hate Super 14's as it's killed club Rugby.

Reading some of your posts I gather that your more of a Union follower then Football and can't help but stir up the nest by posting out dated facts and figures in this forum.

The popularity of league in Australia has always sent rival codes singing it's death. But still it continues to grow! Even with all the Doom and Gloom league still is front and back page of the papers. That's more then i can say for Union or Football in Australia.

I am first to admit that league has some issues, but nothing that can't be fixed. That's why league is around today......it has learned to evolve!

So if League is in such a bad state, Why has their been growth on many levels since 2004? Yes it might have some problems but far from the doom and gloom the media reports.

Maybe I should start a new thread titled:

Will the ARU make another $14 Million loss this year?

or

Will the A-league survive if the socceroos miss out on the World Cup?

It goes both ways but hay I would not waste my time jumping on a Diveball or Yawnion Forum as I have no interest.

So by all means post on this forum, but don't give us rubish from 4 years ago as it would of been covered on this forum.........4 years ago :crazy:

Cheezel

Juniors
I will tell you why. I have been a Souths supporter for since I was 8. Since SUper League my interest waned considerably and then Souths were kicked out of the comp. Since re-admission I have slowly got back into it but not as much as when I was young. I have watched RL slip since then. Unfortunately, the writing is on the wall for the sport to endure more tough times. Tell me honestly, do you think league (the playing of it is exceptional I love it) administration and the direction it is taking is positive?

So your one of those poeple that use the Super League war as an excuse to hate league! What a load of rubbish!

You must hate Super 14's as it's killed club Rugby.

Reading some of your posts I gather that your more of a Union follower then Football and can't help but stir up the nest by posting out dated facts and figures in this forum.

The popularity of league in Australia has always sent rival codes singing it's death. But still it continues to grow! Even with all the Doom and Gloom league still is front and back page of the papers. That's more then i can say for Union or Football in Australia.

I am first to admit that league has some issues, but nothing that can't be fixed. That's why league is around today......it has learned to evolve!

So if League is in such a bad state, Why has their been growth on many levels since 2004? Yes it might have some problems but far from the doom and gloom the media reports.

Maybe I should start a new thread titled:

Will the ARU make another $14 Million loss this year?

or

Will the A-league survive if the socceroos miss out on the World Cup?

It goes both ways but hay I would not waste my time jumping on a Diveball or Yawnion Forum as I have no interest.

So by all means post on this forum, but don't give us rubish from 4 years ago as it would of been covered on this forum.........4 years ago :crazy: