What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby making a return back to the Olympics?

M

Marcus

<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td>Posted on Thu, Aug. 29, 2002</td> <td valign=top align=right></td> <td width=15 rowspan=7>
spacer.gif
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan=2>
spacer.gif
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan=2> <span>IOC Considers Including Golf and Rugby in 2008</span>
<span>BY ADRIAN WARNER</span>

<span>Reuters</span>

<table cellspacing=5 cellpadding=0 width=100 align=right border=0> <tbody></tbody></table><span><span> <span>LAUSANNE, Switzerland</span><span> - </span>Olympic leaders took a step toward radical changes to the Summer Games on Thursday, including throwing baseball, modern pentathlon and softball out of the 2008 Beijing Olympics and putting in golf and rugby union sevens. International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Jacques Rogge announced that the IOC's ruling executive board would discuss the proposals further at a November meeting in Mexico before deciding whether to put them to a vote of all IOC members at a subsequent session in the city. The proposals are some of the most radical changes to the Olympics to be discussed and will cause fierce debate among sports leaders and IOC members. They were included in an IOC report, discussed by the executive board Thursday, which also suggested scratching disciplines such as racewalking and equestrian eventing. No changes in the program are planned for the next Summer Games in Athens in 2004. The IOC's executive board, under the leadership of former president Juan Antonio Samaranch, discussed a report including radical changes in the mid-1990s but shelved the ideas to gather dust. But Rogge is keen to find ways of reducing the cost of the Games after the expansionism of Samaranch's 21 years in charge of the IOC which came to an end last year. The former surgeon, who played 15-a-side rugby for Belgium as well as competing as an Olympic yachtsman, said the IOC would not bring in golf or rugby without reducing the number of sports because the IOC wanted to keep the number of disciplines to 28. "We are not going to have the number of sports increasing without any sports going out. It is set at a maximum 28," he said. "Of course there are difficult decisions. Our intention is have the best possible Olympic program." CLEAR SIGNAL Less high-profile sports such as modern pentathlon have faced worries about their future before but they have never faced such a clear signal from the IOC leadership that they could face the axe. The report by the IOC's Olympic Program Commission said baseball was very popular in certain countries but said its popularity was "not reflected throughout entire regions or continents." It came to the same conclusion over softball. It said there was "a lack of global participation by nations and athletes" in modern pentathlon which was due to the fact that it was expensive to practice the sport. The IOC is also considering plans to scratch racewalking, canoe-kayak slalom, equestrian eventing, a wrestling event, the synchronized swimming team event and keelboat sailing. The report also recommended a review of the retention of badminton's mixed doubles and the exclusion of lightweight rowing events as well as a reduction of the number of events in shooting. The IOC will discuss these proposals at the Mexico meetings and at a session in Prague next year. But Rogge said its executive board had the right to take out events in certain sports without a vote of all IOC members. The report said golf was a simple sport to understand and was popular for television but stressed that the participation of the major players was needed before it could be admitted. SEVENS SUCCESS Compact rugby sevens competitions were included with success at the last two Commonwealth Games in 1998 and 2002. The report said it was the most appropriate discipline of the sport -- as opposed to the main game of 15-a-side. "This discipline would allow more depth and universality within the Olympic competition and would be better integrated within the existing competition schedule," it said. Unlike the Commonwealth Games, however, England, Scotland and Wales would have to compete as one British team at the Olympics, reducing the number of leading teams. The board decided to reject the efforts of 14 other sports to be included in Beijing: roller sports, polo, surfing, bridge chess, air sports, billiards, boules, dance sports, bowling, racquetball, water skiing, squash, and underwater sports. The martial art of Wushu is still under review, however.</span></span></td></tr></tbody></table>
---------------------------------- 7s rugby would be a certain hit in the Olympics. In the CW games the rugby 7s event was 2nd in the amount tickets sold. The use of a single venue across 3 days is rugby's selling point and the IOC recognise this.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I think the concept of a 'Sevens Football' would be excellent for the Olympics. But itshould beopen to both RL and RU.
Remove the elitist RU tag and it would become a very entertaining tournament.

imported_Outlaw

Juniors
Too right Willow mate!
7's footy would be a huge success at the Olympics. It's so entertaining and much easier to follow than the regular 13 aside or so, specially for the newcomer supporters. The crowds, even if they didn't know the rules and plays, would learn and embrace it real quick.
Union or League would be great for the international Olympicgames. A great advertising oportunity for thetwo sports also. Preferably both would be great,but it's tuff for me to see that happening in my honest opinion. So League instead of Union :DSorry Marcus
emembarrassed.gif

Cheers.

imported_Hazy

Juniors
Personally I think RU sevens flows more (and is better to watch) than league sevens.

With the current level and frequency of RU 7's tournaments compared to RL 7's, id have to think that theunion versionis better positioned to be taken up by the IOC.

imported_bronco

Juniors
We need to get some sort of petition going to the IOC that you can't include one without the other. Especially at commonwealth level league should be included with its following in Australia, England and New Zealand.

imported_Hazy

Juniors
Idbe happy with the Commonwealth or Olympic 'Sevens' team to be open to league as well as union players.

But that would involve compromise's from both codes, which I dont think they would agree too.

P

pepe

i'm stunned at the decision,7's is a mickey mouse sport,the olymics is about bringing the best athletes together in there chosen sport,will the wallabies release there best players if it coinsides with the bledisoe,i doubt it!!!

7's is a great social sport,but at the moment it's just that,until it becomes a fairdinkum sport which is along way off it has no right partidipatingin the greatest sports event on the planet.

i'm in two minds about dropping the modern pentathlon,it has a great history but the standard is pretty ordinary,i had a good mate who represented australia in the 88'' olympics in that event,he was a an average middle distance runner and swimmer,he had never been on a horse 18 monthsprior tomaking the team,yet he is an olympian.

i'm a huge fan of golf but it falls under the same category as tennis,it's never worked at the olympics so why repeat the mistake.

pepe

P

pepe

bronco,theIOC would'nt know what a petition is,a bribe,yes!!!!

imported_Docker

Juniors
I would be very pissed off if they drop Three day eventing (equestrian) and put in shitty sevens.

This subject really deserves a new thread, but what sports or "sports" deserve dumping from the Olympics?

1. Synchronised swimming
2. Rythmic gymnastics
3. Firearms shooting.
4. In the winter olympics, all that poofy ice dancing shit.
5. ?????????

They were threatening to add ballroom dancing at one stage. Holy shit!

O

ozbash

Holy shit!---nun dumps ? priestly pooing ??? be an interesting spectator sport........

if the 7,s are admitted ( and i hope they are), it could well be the start of the "hybrid"game.

just hope eric rush is there..........

O

ozbash

docker, i,m in the middle of a slump.
i will come back tho,its just a question of when.

O

ozbash

as long as i stay ahead of pepe in the pommie soccer, i am happy.;)

R

russ13

RU or 7s attempt to be made an Olympic has failed at least until after the 2008 games. The delegates voted 111 to 2 not to reduce or excludethe current Olympic sports.

A

ali

How dare they drop a sport that has been there from the start and replace it with Onion 7's.
I am sure someone must have started a petition to save Modern Pentathlon so I will go and look for it.

its not even a sport, its just a modification of a sport. It would be like putting skins golf in the olympics

They never had a chance.

Moffo

imported_Hazy

Juniors
its not even a sport, its just a modification of a sport. It would be like putting skins golf in the olympics

They never had a chance.

Moffo

Some people could argue that league is a modification of union, and thereby - at least according to your definition Moff, not really a sport.

But I wouldnt do that...

Hazy, the point i was making was that it was a modification of the sport. Itis the same sport, just the modifying of rules. League and Union are widely known as not being the same sport.

But if your going to argue that, than Baseball comes from Cricket, Gridirion comes from Rugby, Rugby comes from Soccer andSoccer comes from God knows where. You could argue that all sports eminate from a common theme.

Moffo

imported_Hazy

Juniors
"Itis the same sport, just the modifying of rules."

- Still applies to league and union though Moff. Ask most North Americans (except Canadian Steve - I think we have finally educated him) or most Victorians... (except me, Pepe, Tamazoid, most of the Storm supporters)

- Baseball came from rounders, which has very little do with cricket.

"Rugby comes from Soccer"

- I thought we all agreed that the William Webb Ellis story was crap, and that some form of 'rugby' had/has been played since way back.

Latest posts