What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rugby union is just a fad it will pass

i_like_footy

Juniors
during the last few days me and my cousin hile out in the city or out anywhere have seen alot of wallabies jumpers i got no problem with that but the bandwagoners under the jumpers i do
so one day my cousin stopped a man in a wallabies jumper and asked him who did he follow in club rugby he had no idea what that was so being a bandwagon supporter he said the waratahs so then we asked him who his top 3 players in the waratahs team were he replied Mat Rogers Sailor( and we all know who he plays for the reds) and Gregan (and we all know here that Gregan plays for the Brumbies)

same when we went to the city the other day we asked people in wallabies jumpers who they supporterted in club rugby. ryde-eastwood was the most popular answer and could they tell us one player?
NOPE

once all this hype goes down the wallabies jumper and all world cup merchandise will be tossed at the back of the cupboard with theyre pokemon stuff theyre yo-yo and theyre scooter

Rustay

Juniors
By the title i thought you meant the sport is a fad and will just go away after the world cup :lol:

And why is it so bad to support your country? If it was a club team that was doing well, then yes that would be jumping on the bandwagon, but this is the national team here. I even want the Australian netball team to win over its competition, but i dont follow the sport, in fact i hate it.

This is good for union and what i what the World Cup is about, getting new people into the game and maybe make a long term supporter of them...who knows, that guy you talked to might be an avid Union lover in a few years, all because he started supporting our boys in the World Cup. I dont see anything wrong with it to be honest.

Plus he likes Rogers, so he's 8) haha

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Its amusing how many of the Australians that want to bag union in this forum cant actually see beyond a few states in their own country. Heres hoping our league administrators have a bit more scope.

The WC is as much about creating revenue to grow the game as anything. The ARU will be better off for it, no matter what kind of angle you want to take on things. Money=options.

Marcus

Juniors
"rugby union is just a fad it will pass"

I've heard that for the last 10 yrs. Sounds like a good fad to me.

The Colonel

Immortal
If Rugby Union can direct some of the money into the grass roots of the game and club rugby they will rival league and AFL. The problem is the five or six super 12 games and maybe one or two tests seen live in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne which is good quality rugby union gets lost among the AFL and League with little or no free to air exposure. Channel 7 plays it at the worst times.

I'm not a big fan of Union but some club rugby games have been amongst the best games of any rugby I have watched however it isn't granted the same status as legue and AFL because of the Super 12. If the ARU want to get serious they have to promote a competition run similar to the NRL and ARL for exposure. Its depends whether or not the club rugby hierarchy will risk it thats the biggest problem - they don't want to break away from what they have always done. It also will need one of the free to air networks like 7, 9 or 10 to back it to make it a success.

zulu

Juniors
Te Kaha said:
Why do you have to support a club?

Surely union is more than just the Wallabies in this country.

Apparently not.

Can't be ideal then when they don't play every week.