What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Union - What does the future hold??

Hiekka

Juniors
Went out to the Bledisloe this year, but left sorely disappointed after seeing 27 points scored from penalties arising out of ruck infringements and only one try. Unfortunately this has become the norm for the gentleman's game.

Couple this together with the fact that a generation of kids (who don't have foxtel) are growing up seeing virtually no rugby union on TV and the code has a major problem.

Ask a kid to name 4 players in the Wallabies and all they can come up with is you Giteau, Sailor, Rogers & Tuqiri.

What is the future of union in Australia?????

Ridders

Coach
In Australia it's not good. I can't believe how badly the game is going considering how great things looked after the 2003 WC.

In saying that, Union dominates our game on the international scene and will do so for many years to come.

ByRd

First Grade
Who cares about Union, this is a league forum and most of us here couldnt care about that other boring game

Will struggle in Australia until we jag some success at a World Cup somehow.

Will continue to dominate in Europe, South Africa and NZ, which will keep the game successful internationally.

Hiekka

Juniors
Who cares about Union, this is a league forum and most of us here couldnt care about that other boring game

Is this the same ByRd that has been posting about NBA tonight??? Rugby union is a damn sight closer to rugby league than NBA!!

ByRd

First Grade
the NBA is better then anything Union can offer, the game is boring and needs change asap to address it, no one really cares about there upcoming tour and the super 14 is so boring, i have watched it in the past but not for a while and probably never will, the game has no interests for me.

Green Machine

First Grade
The ARU has slipped to a sporting organisation that relies on gimmicks and sideshows to attract media attention. This year, they’ve done the Sonny Bill sideshow to attract Rugby League viewers to watch their product and it didn’t work. The Sydney Bledisloe Cup once sold out in a couple of hours. This year, there were still tickets available. The Union Tri Nations has become as boring as Crickets redundant 50 over Wold Series Cup. O’Neill was able to use the Super League spilt to his advantage to destabilise Rugby League. Today, it no longer works. The ARU has gone from 2 good teams and 1 bad team under Super 12 to 1 good team and 3 bad teams under Super 14. And now they can look forward to the Rebels joining the average list. Union is currently negotiating its next TV contract during this financial crisis. Things don’t look good for the ARU,

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I think the best thing for Rugby Union is to raise the white flag and convert and release all its assets in the name of Rugby League. The only thing that has kept Union going around the world, is it is a different sport entirely to soccer. No other country in the world that has a major contact ball sport, reconises Union as an entertaining game. The majority of people in the world, if they had to choose between Union and League, would choose League every time.

In Australia, Leagues domination and its personal connection with the people is what is killing Union.

nyfg89

Juniors
In Australia it's not good. I can't believe how badly the game is going considering how great things looked after the 2003 WC.

In saying that, Union dominates our game on the international scene and will do so for many years to come.

I'm not bashing Rugby Union here, just my view of the game in Australia.

After the 03 WC the Wallabies still had the nucleus of the pre professional era of Rugby playing. All very good players.
The SA and NZ players adapted to the pro game quicker simply because in those countries people live and breathe rugby, in Australia we don’t.

Take League or AFL either way it doesn’t matter, a young kid from the bush with a bit of talent learns from a very early age that if you are going to succeed at the highest you have to make every post a winner.
Let’s say a 16 year old kid from the bush shows some skill and makes a local rep team, he might have to travel 2-3 hours just for training twice a week, he then goes to a state carnival and plays very well and makes the state team, he thinks he’s great.
The next year he makes the same local rep team but has a couple of bad games in the show piece of the state carnival and misses the state team selection, he learns that every time he steps onto the field he has no second chances and this carries over to the pro ranks , it is instilled in him very early, the "will to win"

I’m winging it a bit here about Rugby but now look at a young rugby player growing up in the private school system in the big smoke which still appears to be the case for Australian Rugby Union as far as I'm aware, he walks out his back door to training, travels maybe an hour for a game and is playing in front of the talent scouts basically every weekend, one bad game is not the end of the world, the next weekend he plays very well in front of the state selectors and they put down the bad performance as an aberration, he doesn’t learn that “will to win” and to make every post a winner.
It’s too late when you’re playing against the kid from the bush because he already has that mental toughness.

I’m not talking about doing whatever it takes to win by illegally taking an opposition player out, it’s more about having the mental toughness to keep performing even when you are getting beaten by 30 points, the kid from the bush knows if he slackens off here he won’t make the state team.

KHunt

Juniors
I think the best thing for Rugby Union is to raise the white flag and convert and release all its assets in the name of Rugby League. The only thing that has kept Union going around the world, is it is a different sport entirely to soccer. No other country in the world that has a major contact ball sport, reconises Union as an entertaining game. The majority of people in the world, if they had to choose between Union and League, would choose League every time.

In Australia, Leagues domination and its personal connection with the people is what is killing Union.

Woah just woah.

And I thought the people on bigfooty were deluded.

Where's my white flag? :lol::crazy::fist:

Teddyboy

First Grade
Will struggle in Australia until we jag some success at a World Cup somehow.

Will continue to dominate in Europe, South Africa and NZ, which will keep the game successful internationally.
Don't understand how european Rugby Union is doing very well for crowds in both club and international game yet the SANZAR nations can whip there asses yet the international game and NPC/S14 are dying?.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Don't understand how european Rugby Union is doing very well for crowds in both club and international game yet the SANZAR nations can whip there asses yet the international game and NPC/S14 are dying?.

They arent dying... as usual you are dribbling.

Yeah, a final with no all blacks playing.
The Air NZ cup has gained alot of intrests in the smaller unions.
Hawke's Bay alone have nearly gained 100 sponcers & getting crowds of 8 thousand onwards.
Ratings have increased & these smaller sides like BOP,Southland,Manawatu,Tasman or HB are getting seats on bums

Latest posts