What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rule Change

RufusRex

Post Whore
If you are playing at the ball carrier you are playing at the ball ... gets rid of the grey area there which we saw on the weekend ...

The not played at rule should only apply to players who are not involved in making the tackle ie ball is kicked into them or some such ...

Many players tackling technique has them coming in with their arms near where the ball would be passed from .. ie ElMasri

RufusRex said:
If you are playing at the ball carrier you are playing at the ball ... gets rid of the grey area there which we saw on the weekend ...

The not played at rule should only apply to players who are not involved in making the tackle ie ball is kicked into them or some such ...

Many players tackling technique has them coming in with their arms near where the ball would be passed from .. ie ElMasri

Crap.

responsibility should be on the ball carrier not to pass it if they are going to get smashed.

Under that rule, on the last tackle I could run the ball to the line, delibarately pass into the defenders legs who is attempting to tackle me, and get 6 more tackles.

ManlyFan07

Juniors
The rule always used to be interpreted the way you described RufusRex - if you were making a tackle and the ball came into contact with your hand or arm (please note Waltzing Meninga), then it was a knock-on/six again/knock back (depending on which way the ball went and who came up with it).

Guess who we have to thank for changing a very straight forward, not controversial interpretation of the rules............ Hollywood Bill Harrigan of course.

Memory is a little hazy so correct me on the specifics, but I think it was a game at Kogarah around 93 or 94, when a St George player (Graeme Bradley?) came in to make a tackle with a round arm action to block the pass. The Attacker passed the ball anyway, it came off the St George players hand/arm, who then regathered and Bill famously yelled "Not played at - play on" whilst everyone else was expecting a scrum for the knock on by St George.

Since then, it has been a dogs breakfast.......... remember Joey blowing up last year about the Steve Matai "not played at" decision!

Latest posts