What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rule Changes/Concepts

nko11

Juniors
Ideas for rule changes that you thought didn't deserve their own thread.

Mine:

................... 20/20
What is it?
Kick from your 20 and it goes out of play behind their 20.

Rule change/concept?
If you score in the next set, you get a potential 8 point try.

Why make/change it?
Adds another dimension of excitement to the game. If you pull this off, you deserve the extra 2 points for the try.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
...................5 minute Sin Bin
What is it?
Takes a player out of the match for 5 minutes.

Why Make/Change it?
Could be used to police certain aspects of the game that may not be worth 10 minutes. Ie. talking back to ref, time wasting, etc.

...................Halfway 8 point try
What is it?
If the last play the ball/restart before a try for Team A is in Team A's half a potential 8 point try is awarded.

Why Make/Change it?
Makes long range trys and running the ball inside your own half more attractive.

The more options for 8 point trys keeps the game alive and make "taking the 2" (boring) less attractive. Opens up more leighway for inventive play.

Any more idea's?

My rule changes would be get rid of dominant and surrender tackles. Let the refs call get off him and play it. Would allow for much faster play the balls which leads to better spectacle games. Games in 2005 were far better when there was very quick play the balls. Also watched some footy from the late 80's early 90's and the play the balls were far quicker, again I think it resulted in better rugby league being played.

Would also get rid of all the wrestling, leg and arm holds in the ruck. Who really thinks any of these is good for the game.

I would make any try that starts inside your own half worth 5 points and any try from a bomb worth 3 points. Again this rewards teams that play more adventerous rugby league.

I would also drop the number of interchanges to 6. This brings back fatique into the game, allowing smaller more skillful players to run at tired forwards near the end of each half. Again allows for better rugby league being played.

I would do something to speed up the rucks a little something like:
-if there is defenders don't clear the ruck the ref can call the markers offside, this will stop players lying around the play the ball and interferring with the dummy half.
-every player who is involved in the completion of a tackle must stand as a marker. If you are getting 4-5 defenders in a tackle it will make you vulnerable out wide to a shift. It also will encourage more creative attacking play as dummy half running will be nullified by the extra markers.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
5 minute sinbin.

Either eliminate the kick for touch after a penalty (allowing a tap and 6 to go only) or allow the kick for touch but don't restart the tackle count. (unless it's blatant foul play).

Silver point - if a side kicks a field goal in extra time the game goes on until the 10 minutes is up or a try is scored. No kicks for penalties allowed in this 10 minutes, only taps or line kicks.

5 minute sinbin.

Either eliminate the kick for touch after a penalty (allowing a tap and 6 to go only) or allow the kick for touch but don't restart the tackle count. (unless it's blatant foul play).

Silver point - if a side kicks a field goal in extra time the game goes on until the 10 minutes is up or a try is scored. No kicks for penalties allowed in this 10 minutes, only taps or line kicks.

If that's the case, then when a penalty is conceded the culprit should be taken out of the game. Otherwise players will give away a 100 penalties because they know it won't cost them the game, especially if the team with the ball is getting a roll on.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
If that's the case, then when a penalty is conceded the culprit should be taken out of the game. Otherwise players will give away a 100 penalties because they know it won't cost them the game, especially if the team with the ball is getting a roll on.

Fair enough.

RHCP

Bench
I like this one. I'd add that if a player concedes a penalty, he's off for the duration. Field goals should still be possible, but they shouldn't decide it.

Changing the points in relation to tries is a horrible idea imo. It's four points if you put the ball down over the line. It's just as hard if not harder to catch a bomb under pressure than it is to make a tackle 30 metres down field so why should one player dropping off a tackle be more worth more points than a player dropping the ball? A try is a try. It won't 'promote' open play (we have plenty of open play anyway) it will just confuse fans and coaches would still instruct their players to kick on the last to ran it every tackle.

transmogrifier

Juniors
Now, I don't necessarily think this should be rushed in or anything, but:

Tries worth one point, and conversions, penalties and field goals only used as tie-breakers when the try scoring tally is even.

You'd have to have stricter punishment for giving away constant penalties (e.g. five minutes sin bin for any penalty given away in your own 20, or something like that), but it'd be an interesting experiment, I reckon.

transmogrifier

Juniors
Oh, and get rid of the geniused McIntyre system. I hate it. The significance of any particular result should be obvious at the end of the game, not two bloody days later. (Makes the game last night a complete "meh", for example).

The AFL system is roughly a million times better.

Mortar

Juniors
Any more idea's?

A half back feeds the scrum and then has to receive the ball out of it rather than the lock breaking and picking it up. Also penalise anyone who breaks too early from a scrum...thought the idea of a scrum was to try to take the forwards out of the play somewhat.

maccattack

Juniors
5 minute sinbin.

Dont like the name but not a bad idea.

docbrown

Coach
From the ones mentions thus far:

* 5 Minute Sin Bin - it's just logical, needs to happen
* No dominant/surrender tackle calls - same, all ref should say is get off, players will learn the time limit one way or another
* All Tacklers Must Stand As Markers - I would like to see this trialled, I think this has alot of merit to open up the game
* Tap Option After A Penalty - if teams see the gain in it, rather kick they can take the tap. This sorts out the stupidity of having to kick backwards when near the goalline.

From what I posted in the raking thread:

* A 40 metre kick advantage rule - from within a team's own half into opposition half - so defence has to cover it and creates a 13 on 11/12 scenario encouraging ball to be thrown around in a teams own half. It's risky and wouldn't be tried often but has a consequence for the rest of the game because of defenders falling back.

* One on one rake - players that have been taken down one on one usually have been done so with a scrambling defence. The defence is already rewarded with a strip, but why should the attacking team be allowed to have a scrappy play the ball. A one-on-one rake would encourage better play the ball, introduce a potential man on man contest and might also create for a defensive strategy where a team down on points gives up on gang tackles and tries to recover the ball by going one on one - that also opens up the attacking game as well.

* Ball kicked dead in goal to be immediately returned to kicker's line for quick tap - punishes poor kicking options and encourages more creative last tackle alternatives. It's a big momentum changer and you'd see less last tackle kicking.

* A defensive player within 10 metres of a kicker can charge down the ball with any part of his body except with open hands and not knock on (closed fists to bat the ball are allowed as the intention wouldn't be to grab it) and if their team then gets it, it's zero tackle. If the kicking team recovers, it's still last tackle and not a new set of six - why should they be rewarded when the momentum is with the team who charged down?

* A one on one hit on a kicking player is legal if the defender is already within 5 metres of the kicker - except for a dangerous position

* When there are no markers standing square, then a quick tap should be allowed

* Contested scrums for certain game results (like a 2 way knock on etc) -
1. Ref lays the ball on the ground and stands in line with it i.e. no feeding the ball
2. He seperates the two packs by outstretching his arms to hold them apart
3. Two packs form
4. As the ref withdraws and clears the "scrimmage line", he blows time on.
5. Scrum packs collide and have to rake the ball backwards.

Last edited:

Noa

First Grade
Id love to see a trial in the Toyota Cup where all this dominant, surrender bull shit is discarded but played under a 5mtr rule.

moltznmarshall

Juniors
Tactical 2-point Field Goals

Rule:
If a player kicks a field goal from 40m out their team is awarded 2 points, not the standard 1 point. This could maybe be reduced to 30m.

Why:
Field goals are hard regardless, especially at a distance. There is no doubt though that when the score is locked up then field goal kicking battles are exciting.

This rule would work when a team is down by 1 or 2 points. If down by 2 then the team must either work for a penalty (grubby) or a "hail mary" style try. This gives the team the ability to claw back two points.

If down by 1 point then a 2-point field goal would give them the lead.

JamesBrandy

Juniors
I'd rather them crack down on a few rules more so than change them.

* Quick tap penalty. A player is supposed to be able to tap the ball and play on as soon as the ref has marked the spot, but whenever anybody does it the ref makes them go back, wait for the defence to be ready and make him do it again. IMO if the defending team can't be ready then they deserve to get run through.

* Bring back 5 minute sin bin. Use it for repeat offences of laying in tackles or backchat.

* Whatever happened to cracking down on players walking off the mark after being tackled?

* Video ref should be able to help with calls on blatant forward passes.

* Bring back pushing in scrums and a contest for the ball...too many scrums also slow down the game too much...maybe just make it a change over for drop balls...scrums for the ball going into touch.

CALL TIME OFF WHEN THE BALL IS OUT OF PLAY. ESPECIALLY FOR LINE DROP OUTS.
A team can take 40 seconds to drop the ball out...a game can be won or lost in that time. When the ball goes out of play time should be called off. They get the same 40 seconds to kick the ball...but without it being taken off the game clock. Give them a warning after 30 seconds that if they don't kick in the next 10 seconds they get penalised.

Time should also be called off for kicks at goal.

How many minutes in a game are wasted when there isn't any actual football being played?

Didgi

I agree with this somewhat, however I think only for things like holding down or offside, not a high tackle or something not as momentum-killing.

Kinda like in field hockey, if a defender in the box breaks early on a short corner they have to return to halfway.

Would be a good addition IMO.

Danish

Referee
I got a good one...

when Smith/Boyd/Farah pass the ball in a forward direction, play is stopped and a scrum is awarded to the other team

Chook Norris

First Grade
* All Tacklers Must Stand As Markers - I would like to see this trialled, I think this has alot of merit to open up the game

This one was mentioned by DocBrown. I think this is a pretty decent idea actually.