What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

El Diablo

Post Whore
Cowboys next year...

giphy.gif
what's AFL guys dog named?

Glenneel

Bench
I personally think it is a given they'll be picked, but that's just my view. Keeping them on development contracts currently means we can't play them in first grade, I know the hot topic around here is that development players can play first grade but I've yet to be given or seen any hard evidence from the NRL that this is the case.

A player from outside the club could become available but there may be 5 or 6 other clubs able to get their signature and we may be left in the lurch. We have Brown and Stefano here right now, we know their style, we know how they train, they know what's expected and we'll likely need a half if Moses is given a release and we could use Stefano's size in the middle.

I think we've got to give these guys the opportunity. Not only does it hold them in good stead but it also proves that our player development and culture in the juniors has shifted. To me if these guys prove themselves it means we can trust our junior players more in the future, they've been scouted by the same people, they've been through the same system so they should have similar attitudes.
I think some more junior players will be moved onto the development contracts before the season starts. There is a heap of them training with the NRL squad atm. And after 30 June they will (I hope) be picked to play NRL to see how they perform. With 20 potential spots up for grabs in 2020 the coach can then determine who'll of those will be moved into top 30 for that year. Exciting year coming up imo to see who'll progress.

TheRam

Coach
With players we have id go a grind 20 with 85 degree angle runs on 4th and 5th. I'd also run split plays and double shifts every 3rd set .
Open to the idea of the wind up double phase in 2nd half if behind by more then 8 with under 20 to go and single reverse to close games out.

As discussed with Ram and he agreed 100%

You forgot the shift to the hooker, then he spreads wide, if they want to cum again, make it rain play.

That about 100% nails it.

Glenneel

Bench
BA has to decide what style he wants to play.
If its power and grind id pick our biggest and most powerfull men in the backs. That mean Taka at centre with MJ,FERGO,GUTH and the last wing spot at this stage goes to younger Jennings unless Sivo or Parry come on strong.
Think Gutho will be centre with Mennings (last chance) and French at back. Its our only option isn't it? We are weak in the centre position and doubt Taka will play centre again unless injuries really hit. Could always move Fergo (or Salmon) to centre as we have plenty of wingers to replace him.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I think some more junior players will be moved onto the development contracts before the season starts. There is a heap of them training with the NRL squad atm. And after 30 June they will (I hope) be picked to play NRL to see how they perform. With 20 potential spots up for grabs in 2020 the coach can then determine who'll of those will be moved into top 30 for that year. Exciting year coming up imo to see who'll progress.

Where's the NRL media release that development contracted players can play first grade pre or post the 30th of June without permission? The only places I can see that have stated this are the bulldogs website and then a nospam47 article stating it has been reported but I assume they're going off that bulldogs media release.

Going by this article published on the 10th of August "Currently clubs must apply for special dispensation to add a development player to their first grade squad, typically an injury crisis that sees them lose all other options in that select player's position." https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/10/nrl-top-30-squads-to-be-published-to-increase-transparency/

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I doubt the NRL would announce a change like that, since they cater to the lowest common denominator, and most fans don’t give a f**k about anyone outside the top 17. You see this when a club announces they’ve signed or re-signed a backup player and the fans all piss their knickers.

Where's the NRL media release that development contracted players can play first grade pre or post the 30th of June without permission? The only places I can see that have stated this are the bulldogs website and then a nospam47 article stating it has been reported but I assume they're going off that bulldogs media release.

Going by this article published on the 10th of August "Currently clubs must apply for special dispensation to add a development player to their first grade squad, typically an injury crisis that sees them lose all other options in that select player's position." https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/10/nrl-top-30-squads-to-be-published-to-increase-transparency/

That's right. There is a news article (prompted by the Dogs media release) that states that clubs are pushing for a change (see below), but I've seen no follow-up.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/cl...es-to-promote-young-guns-20180818-p4zyan.html

hindy111

Post Whore
And a strike fullback. And a strike hooker. And a top-line halfback.

Ffs... The club is doing the right thing.
You need to develop juniors for a few reasons.
The guys who come throught the grades together develop a bond and tend to give that little bit more for the club and also fans will always feel more attatched to guys who made their names at the club.

We have a promising half in Brown and 3 hookers who all are young and potential NRL players in Kaysa,Mahoney and Scheinder.
Our fullback options are not great but not terrible. Lets not give up on Bevan yet. And Gutherson is also very young to think he has reached potential.

We would be foolish to let all these kids walk to pay overs for established first graders chasing a big pay day. We have played that game before. It does not work.

hindy111

Post Whore
Think Gutho will be centre with Mennings (last chance) and French at back. Its our only option isn't it? We are weak in the centre position and doubt Taka will play centre again unless injuries really hit. Could always move Fergo (or Salmon) to centre as we have plenty of wingers to replace him.

I see many.

1 Guth
3 Taka/Salmon
4 MJ

1 Norman
3 Guth
4 MJ
Brown/Salmon
Moses

Bevan
Guth
MJ
Moses
Norman

I also am not convinced that Mosed will be here before season starts.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
So we've got an article saying they've been told they can play post-June 30. If true, I still think we need to upgrade and promote both Mahoney and Brown before Round 1. We then need to get Parry, Dunster, and Fainga'a into our D6 as I currently am lead to believe that our D6 is just Mahoney, Brown, and SUtoikamanu. That gives us the final 9 rounds to play those younger guys. Or if more than just Moses leave (assuming Moses leaves) we can give them a top 30 spot.