What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

crocodile

Bench
that's how Gutho started with us and Russell certainly has the pace

I know his future will probably be FB or Centre but the sooner we get him in the team the better I reckon
Yes, I guess he'd rather play wing in firsts than fullback in reserves.

TheRam

Coach
Is savage a winger thou, or fullback?

He will probably be a fullback at the end, but he is still only around 18-19 years old at the moment and yet to establish himself. So I am sure that he would play wing and or centre for now while adapting to NRL and maturing into a man physically. It would actually in my opinion be better for him from that perspective.

Also Canberra have an established fullback too so he maybe shifted that way by them also or they could move Klokstad to the centres. Time will tell. But for his first couple of seasons I would have him on the wing just so he can grow into a man before he goes to fullback and the extra involvement that is necessary in that position. I also think in about 2-3 more years, the best years of Gutho will be over and his pace will have really been affected and there will be a need for a more potent weapon from the back. Perfect timing for a guy like Savage to take over just as his body is getting into its strongest years.

TheRam

Coach
Agreed, but if we re sign Gutho then that could be 3 or 4 years away.. get him in on the wing to start with.

I'm not against this, but I also want us to get more pace in our backline if we can find it elsewhere at a reasonable price. We can never have enough quality speedsters in our squad that can play multiple positions and are vying for spots. Besides I would rather have Savage on the wing then Dunster. Dunster may end up being a decent and handy NRL player, but when comparing both him and Savage, I don't think anyone would argue that Savage has the greater potential upside by a long shot.

His only real downside in my opinion is size(he is around 6 feet though) and how he can handle the week in week out physicality of the NRL. If he can, then he will be a future star. In his miniscule NRL appearances he has show that he is a high involvement player, so that's a huge plus right there. He just need to mature and get stronger over all. But at the very least he could be a JAC speed machine on the wing, but ultimately I think he has to much skill to be a winger forever.

IFR33K

Coach
He will probably be a fullback at the end, but he is still only around 18-19 years old at the moment and yet to establish himself. So I am sure that he would play wing and or centre for now while adapting to NRL and maturing into a man physically. It would actually in my opinion be better for him from that perspective.

Also Canberra have an established fullback too so he maybe shifted that way by them also or they could move Klokstad to the centres. Time will tell. But for his first couple of seasons I would have him on the wing just so he can grow into a man before he goes to fullback and the extra involvement that is necessary in that position. I also think in about 2-3 more years, the best years of Gutho will be over and his pace will have really been affected and there will be a need for a more potent weapon from the back. Perfect timing for a guy like Savage to take over just as his body is getting into its strongest years.

haha thanks for the extended answer. ;)

Tiger5150

Bench
I'm really glad to hear that. Especially if it's only one year, there's currently no one better on the market for 22. The off-contract players in 2023 are way better options:
Xavier Coates, Nick Cotric, Sosefo Fifita, David Fusitu'a, Reuben Garrick, Morgan Harper, Patrick Herbert, Thomas Jenkins, Sione Katoa, Greg Marzhew, Ken Maumalo, Jayden Okunbor, Jordan Rapana, Jason Saab, Xavier Savage, Bailey Simonsson, Maika Sivo, Corey Thompson, Brian To'o, Daniel Tupou

Contracts mean nothing, aim higher and steal Nofo from the Tigers

King-Gutho94

Coach
I'm really glad to hear that. Especially if it's only one year, there's currently no one better on the market for 22. The off-contract players in 2023 are way better options:
Xavier Coates, Nick Cotric, Sosefo Fifita, David Fusitu'a, Reuben Garrick, Morgan Harper, Patrick Herbert, Thomas Jenkins, Sione Katoa, Greg Marzhew, Ken Maumalo, Jayden Okunbor, Jordan Rapana, Jason Saab, Xavier Savage, Bailey Simonsson, Maika Sivo, Corey Thompson, Brian To'o, Daniel Tupou

I would be asking the dogs about cotric.

They have signed naden and JAC next year and apparently struggling for cap space.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Cotric would be good but if Dogs chip in
Yeah absolutely but i hope we sniff around and ask the question.

He hasnt worked out the dogs.

Remember when Gus got rid of Michael Jennings from Penrith to the chooks and Penrith were still paying a quarter of his salary.

King-Gutho94

Coach
An issue with niukore also is his judiciary record. When thinking of his price.

As I noticed in the paper today the warriors are trying to get him back as well as dragons.

I think he has been suspended 3 or 4 times in his last 12 months. So any charge he gets atm he has plenty of loading as well. Which will mean a suspension.

Latest posts