What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
Wait. Is it possible that a player manager lied about interest from another club during negotiations ? Sprung merkin.

butch82

Juniors
I’m on holidays in Kiama. Heading to Gerringong tomorrow and will take the fam to Mick’s pub . All jokes aside who’s been? I’m excited!
went there about 3 years ago.
Mick was finishing up mowing the lawns.so i waited bout 5 mins , got kids outta the car n proceded to walk over and ended up having a chat for 15-20 mins.Real gentleman. Im from griffith n he has friends in town , his daughter works in wagga. got all the goss.
helped him load the mower into his car n then asked for a photo. He laughed n said im a bit dirty lol.
Walked with us inside shouted me n the wife a beer n recommended the scotch fillet..

TheRam

Coach
So, the last 80 pages were for nought?

Well we don't know yet. Verrills is a very decent hooker at present but Mahoney is almost the finished product and has all the talents that a top 3 hooker needs.

Verrills is a competent hooker with a sharp passing game OK running game. The trick is to turn Vee into a better and sharper runner and maybe add in a kicking game if possible. But Vee would be a handy replacement at this stage as is. Where I see the difference though is Mahoney is a better schemer, especially close to the line. But that can be taught and trained with experience. Verrills did kick a line dropout last season so he has got some clue there and may just need more coaching and coaxing in this area to bring it out in him.

But the biggest difference between the two at this stage is minutes in play, try assists, line assists and offloads. This is where Mahoney's better scheming game shows the most. But Also Mahoney has proven he can play 80 minutes without losing quality consistently. Verrills still needs to establish himself as a long minutes injury free high performing week in week out dummy half that will stay in the game defensively and offensively without to much difference in his game from the first minute to the last. Then improve and add to his game in the process over time.

But as is he has a great base to build upon and just needs in my opinion to stay injury free and then with the two former hookers we now have as coaching trainers, we should be able to add to his already impressive distribution passing game more tricks and running options.

I doubt he will ever be the tackling machine that Mahoney is, Mahoney is an energizer battery and is consistently the most prolific DH tackler in the NRL, but Vee is a very decent defender already too. So in a nutshell, Verrills if we get him should be a very good replacement for Mahoney, that if we can keep him fit, we can add the finishing touches to his game that I think will put him very close to the class and quality of his predecessor. He is also taller then Mahoney(V is just over 6ft), but they weigh the same, so if Vee adds a little more bulk to his frame I think he will be able to handle the collision over the long term better then Mahoney will.

Anyway, this is all just speculation and we need to sign him first. If it happens I will be very pleased that we replaced Mahoney with a handy player that comes from a quality system and just needs more experience, personal quality coaching and to stay injury free to come very close to the player he is replacing. Who knows with the injury concerns that Mahoney has, Vee may turnout to be the better long term signing at a better price?

Would anyone else here be happy to see the back of Mahoney ASAP? Obviously we’d need a capable option for this season but if we had one I wouldn’t be concerned kicking the coliflower ear midget out of the club soon enough.
The best thing about his game was the perceived passion in the jersey . It glossed over the years of his physically limited front on defence and 2 or 3x he lost concentration and stuffed up glaringly during a march . He seemed like he genuinely cared about the jersey . He doesn’t , can’t wait to see the back of him .
Players move on from time to time for more money or better opportunity, that’s part of the game. But starting as a dude no one wanted and building your game at the club under this same coaching staff you owe them better then taking the opportunity to be seen out in public with the enemy during the middle of negotiations. You wouldn’t see a Roosters player or someone with genuine respect for the club out doing that . Was poor form by him and if we could ship him to the Dogs without aiding another year of his development I would in a heart beat. Let’s not forget our best performance of 2021 was with Lussick at 9 and our defence improved a whole lot without the little Bulldog in the team .

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal
Would anyone else here be happy to see the back of Mahoney ASAP? Obviously we’d need a capable option for this season but if we had one I wouldn’t be concerned kicking the coliflower ear midget out of the club soon enough.
The best thing about his game was the perceived passion in the jersey . It glossed over the years of his physically limited front on defence and 2 or 3x he lost concentration and stuffed up glaringly during a march . He seemed like he genuinely cared about the jersey . He doesn’t , can’t wait to see the back of him .
Players move on from time to time for more money or better opportunity, that’s part of the game. But starting as a dude no one wanted and building your game at the club under this same coaching staff you owe them better then taking the opportunity to be seen out in public with the enemy during the middle of negotiations. You wouldn’t see a Roosters player or someone with genuine respect for the club out doing that . Was poor form by him and if we could ship him to the Dogs without aiding another year of his development I would in a heart beat. Let’s not forget our best performance of 2021 was with Lussick at 9 and our defence improved a whole lot without the little Bulldog in the team .
Hey, long time no read. Welcome back. Couldn’t agree more. I was happy to f**k him off as soon as he announced his departure. I’m excited about Verrills.

Delboy

First Grade
Hey, long time no read. Welcome back. Couldn’t agree more. I was happy to f**k him off as soon as he announced his departure. I’m excited about Verrills.
All those after game clips of Reed leading the team song and seeming to be part of us, has diminished into the ether. Certainly wont be cheering him in 2022 if he plays in blue and gold, and if we get a replacement then he can go sleep on Ayoub‘s lounge and fornicate elsewhere. Don’t know why this makes me feel this way, but let down is not strong enough.

Avenger

Immortal
All those after game clips of Reed leading the team song and seeming to be part of us, has diminished into the ether. Certainly wont be cheering him in 2022 if he plays in blue and gold, and if we get a replacement then he can go sleep on Ayoub‘s lounge and fornicate elsewhere. Don’t know why this makes me feel this way, but let down is not strong enough.
The team song is something that I’ve been thinking about too. I’d use gaffer tape to stop him singing and me becoming nauseous.