What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
That probably because you n Ram didn't want Sims unless it was for a pie n coke and not for 2023+. F**k your eyes.

That's because injury prone old players like him and Parra don't have a great history of long term success. So a short few months would have been a reasonable gamble on a player that would have wanted quality player money($400+). I think having one coming to us for next season is enough, don't you?

Let the Storm take that extra risk and gamble. At this point all I want to see us signing in regards to established stars is low risk, high success stars like Herbie that we are rumoured to be after.

That's because injury prone old players like him and Parra don't have a great history of long term success. So a short few months would have been a reasonable gamble on a player that would have wanted quality player money($400+). I think having one coming to us for next season is enough, don't you?

Let the Storm take that extra risk and gamble. At this point all I want to see us signing in regards to established stars is low risk, high success stars like Herbie that we are rumoured to be after.

To be fair, Sims' yearly NRL appearances since 2017 have been: 24, 25, 19, 9, 21 and 5 thusfar this year. He has played 209 NRL games since starting in 2011. I don't think he's that injury prone.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Nobody is low risk if you pay too much for him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Nikoras only issue is he is small. Marata is a better player. But Nikora can break the line and has great footwork. It is something we miss in the edge forwards we have.

All our current edge forwards are more suited to from row or atleast equally suited to the middle.
Exactly. They are all very mobile for middles but a bit too slow for the edges. Nikora is at least a genuine edge forward.

TheRam

Coach
To be fair, Sims' yearly NRL appearances since 2017 have been: 24, 25, 19, 9, 21 and 5 thusfar this year. He has played 209 NRL games since starting in 2011. I don't think he's that injury prone.

Yeah he may have the games on the board but I think he is a hot and cold player due to his injuries in the past. I don't see him as the sort of player that gives his all every game at the same level. He goes to quiet and invisible to often for my liking and I suspect that is why the Dragons are letting him go for the price he is was on.

The Storm are a team that may get him to play more consistently and at the presumed lesser price are willing to give him a go considering the injuries they have this year and the loss of forwards they will have next year.

I don't like taking that sort of a risk with the players we sign. We are not coach by Bellamy or play anywhere near as consistently as the Storm with great structures that he can simply slot into. Our roster relies way to much just on raw power and I can't see him lasting in a team like ours without breaking down.

The storm use both power and smarts. Big difference on what your body goes through each and every week when you don't have to bash your way to victory every freakin week and the playmakers not knowing what to do with all that space.

TheRam

Coach
Nikoras only issue is he is small. Marata is a better player. But Nikora can break the line and has great footwork. It is something we miss in the edge forwards we have.

All our current edge forwards are more suited to from row or atleast equally suited to the middle.

Yeah true, but he is the sort of player that can go either way.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Yeah he may have the games on the board but I think he is a hot and cold player due to his injuries in the past. I don't see him as the sort of player that gives his all every game at the same level. He goes to quiet and invisible to often for my liking and I suspect that is why the Dragons are letting him go for the price he is was on.

The Storm are a team that may get him to play more consistently and at the presumed lesser price are willing to give him a go considering the injuries they have this year and the loss of forwards they will have next year.

I don't like taking that sort of a risk with the players we sign. We are not coach by Bellamy or play anywhere near as consistently as the Storm with great structures that he can simply slot into. Our roster relies way to much just on raw power and I can't see him lasting in a team like ours without breaking down.

The storm use both power and smarts. Big difference on what your body goes through each and every week when you don't have to bash your way to victory every freakin week and the playmakers not knowing what to do with all that space.
We will judge him on his impact playing Storm footy which is quite different to how he would perform playing Eels footy so no doubt we will regret signing him without ever knowing how he would be used in an Eels jumper.

84 Baby

Referee
Exactly. They are all very mobile for middles but a bit too slow for the edges. Nikora is at least a genuine edge forward.
Here’s the odd thing though, when it comes to mobility in forwards you’d think the main stat difference would be in the tackles and tackle efficiency columns but Papali’i has both more tackles and less missed tackles than Nikora

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Unless Papali’i is more comfortable coming in to assist with tackles in the middle (chasing the collision) and so makes more high percentage tackles while being in a position to miss low percentage tackles less often.

84 Baby

Referee
Unless Papali’i is more comfortable coming in to assist with tackles in the middle (chasing the collision) and so makes more high percentage tackles while being in a position to miss low percentage tackles less often.
Perhaps. I looked at Ramien and Penisini’s stats. Penisini also has more tackles (by a lot)/less missed, so perhaps Papali’i has more faith in Penisini. Or perhaps the Sharks RHS defence has just had less opportunity (yet missed more)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well often I’ll watch the opposition attack our right side and see Nrown or Mahoney defending four in. Then I look for Papali’i and he’s usually pushing out from marker. I’m sure every edge forward, including Nikora, gets caught at marker sometimes (the tackle needs to be made). The question is how often this happens for each one. Teams with less mobility in the middle are more likely to see their halves and edge forwards making more tackles.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Niukore is listed as 188cm and 106kg
Nikora is listed as 185cm and 96kg

Not a huge difference - and certainly nothing an offseason hitting the weights can't fix...

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
I hope the Nikora rumour is true - great player.

And for comparison, Jack Bird (who has played a few games in the second row) is 183cm, and 96kg.

Latest posts