What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Chipmunk

Coach
Complment, not replace Gutherson.

It's a way to replace ploddres like Waqa Blake out of our top 17.
There would be only a handfull of players we could sign where we could not have Gutho playing fullback. Tedesco, Trbo, Latrell, maybe a couple of others...neither of those are Field or French.

Avenger

Immortal
The best way to work it out on who it may be is to determine who we would offer in return to the club and what their needs are.

For example who needs a player like Waqa Blake in return for their game breaker?

the phantom menace

First Grade
I'm not reading into the article that they are trying to replace Gutho at fullback with whoever the person we're phoning is?

More just consulting with him about who they are chasing, and the possibilities that at points during a match Gutho may find himself in a different position when this person comes on the field.

For example, Jai Field can also play in the halves, so would make a great backline bench utility. We could hook Waqa (or even play an edge forward as a centre for half a game) and then bring Field on for some minutes - during which Gutherson might find himself at centre, or in the halves (if Moses or Brown are injured).

the phantom menace

First Grade
The best way to work it out on who it may be is to determine who we would offer in return to the club and what their needs are.

For example who needs a player like Waqa Blake in return for their game breaker?
We may not have to offer a (super league) club anything, if the player has a "get out when homesick" clause, which most smart expatriots would.

Chipmunk

Coach
I'm not reading into the article that they are trying to replace Gutho at fullback with whoever the person we're phoning is?

More just consulting with him about who they are chasing, and the possibilities that at points during a match Gutho may find himself in a different position when this person comes on the field.

For example, Jai Field can also play in the halves, so would make a great backline bench utility. We could hook Waqa (or even play an edge forward as a centre for half a game) and then bring Field on for some minutes - during which Gutherson might find himself at centre, or in the halves (if Moses or Brown are injured).
I think people lose sight that rugby league is 50% about defence, and we would be utter rubbish in defence if Field is playing fullback whilst Gutho in the centres.

It is an absurd proposition.

the phantom menace

First Grade
I think people lose sight that rugby league is 50% about defence, and we would be utter rubbish in defence if Field is playing fullback whilst Gutho in the centres.

It is an absurd proposition.
But the word used was a game breaker - so someone who can come on and open a game up when we needed to play catch-up, or were looking on top but struggling to get points.

And hence the talk to Gutho about potential mid-game shifts, because his defence at centre would be stronger than the new recruit's.

strider

Post Whore
Maybe it’s not Blake that they want but I can assure you that if the player is contracted they would want someone in return.
I saw OBrien dropped Dom Young today .... if he doesnt want him the rest of the year we can swap Waqa 😄 ... but he aint a fullback gamebreaker

Chipmunk

Coach
Maybe it’s not Blake that they want but I can assure you that if the player is contracted they would want someone in return.
Now that Nrown has gone, we don't really have anyone we can afford to give away, whom someone might want, in return for a game breaking player. They'd want one of Gutho, Sivo, Penisini, Brown, Moses, Matterson, Lane, Hopgood, RCG, or Paulo. No one else.

The only reason we are having this conversation is not because of Gutherson it’s because our game breaker has been asleep at the wheel and started the season poorly. I don’t even have to reveal his name, everyone knows who that is.
If that’s the case why aren’t we looking for a half?