What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
merkins have been telling us all through BAs tenure that he’s set up our wonderful pathways program…

There are heaps more posts from the last few years praising BA for our pathways too. Now some of the same people are telling us our pathway need fixing and it’s not BAs fault?

I reckon Bennett could do at least as good a job as BA.
I’d say those merkins are conflating the new (at the time) coach with increased pathways funding that occurred around the same time. It's a fact that we had a great crop of youngsters by 2017, and this doesn't happen by accident in the NRL era. If clubs don't recruit and retain their own local juniors some other club will.

Our juniors demonstrably died in the arse after 2017, probably due to the fallout from the salary cap drama, and going into administration and Mad Max cutting essential spending. This slowly recovered until Covid, and has been on the rise again since then.

2016: $9.1M
2017: $6.3M
2018: $8.3M
2019: $10.0M
2020: $5.9M
2021: $7.5M
2022: $11.8M
2023: $12.5M

https://www.parraleagues.com.au/annual-report/

oldmancraigy

Coach
2016: $9.1M
2017: $6.3M
2018: $8.3M
2019: $10.0M
2020: $5.9M
2021: $7.5M
2022: $11.8M
2023: $12.5M

https://www.parraleagues.com.au/annual-report/

Are you an accountant? Or experienced in reading financial reports?

I'd suggest not by the way you keep parroting this particular information.

I wonder how other factors might have impacted the numbers you keep quoting.

If you're wondering, this is why I personally see you as a troll. Multiple times I have asked you what your understanding of these numbers is. The answer is no rationale discourse.
I therefore assume you either don't know, or do know, but intentionally obfuscate.

It is possible others see through your ruse (it isn't very complex, and appears consistent in your use, or misuse, of statistics). Personal reflection is your own decision. Constant trolling is also your choice. Others may agree or disagree - that is also their own decision.

Pazza

First Grade
Bulldogs are closer to a comp then we are. Wasn't it fun to laugh at Gus and Ciraldo?
Let's laugh at Souths now.

They definately seem to have better concept of where the game is going than we do. BA still thinks it's the days of David gallop.

T-Boon

Coach
I don't think Bellamy would ever coach in Sydney.

He enjoys hiding away in Melbourne where there is less media focus on and distractions and they can come up with there next UFC move they want to bring into the game.

Brisbane Broncos have offered Bellamy the world about 5 times and he has knocked them back each time.

If he wasn't going to join the Broncos on huge money I doubt he would ever come to sydney.
My theory is that Bellamy has gradually become getable at about the same time the Broncos have started turning things around and aren’t necessarily pushing as hard for him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The last 4 seasons we have gone into the season with i reckon 300-400k spare in the cap and multiple spots in the top 30.

I think that's come from the salary cap saga getting caught and being compliant hence the cautious nature.

It's why we have always been linked with players mid-season to buy.

Even in 2022 when we tried to get Taupau and Klemmer in the last few days in the August window.

Then I think the previous year we had a few spots in QLD hub which we could have poached players but opted for Jake and Penisini upgrades.

Last year we got Lussick and Davey.

Does anyone know though if we don't use all the cap money for that season is that just wasted money we never get back.

What do we do with with the spare money in August once the transfer window is shut.

Do we upgrade youngsters what's the go. Do the NRL still block you front loading contracts if you have extra cash to spend.
If there's nobody available at the price they're worth (I'm talking about backup level players here) then there's no point just signing merkins for the sake of it. If the NRL aren't forcing us to fill the top thirty (and they don't seem to be) we are better off leaving those spots and that cap space available for upgrades to youngsters.

For all the whinging about not filling our top thirty last year we still used 31 players. Those players outside the top thirty (Hands, Lumelume, AMS, Moretti) are the level of players we would be bringing in if we were forced to fill the top thirty. Why upgrade them if we don't have to?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Our club is run by a bunch of imbeciles. The CEO is a sharks supporter who grew up in Belmore and our football manager was rejected by the tigers. What does that tell you?
If Wayne Bennett was rejected by the Eels does that make him better or worse than MON?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Are you an accountant? Or experienced in reading financial reports?

I'd suggest not by the way you keep parroting this particular information.

I wonder how other factors might have impacted the numbers you keep quoting.

If you're wondering, this is why I personally see you as a troll. Multiple times I have asked you what your understanding of these numbers is. The answer is no rationale discourse.
I therefore assume you either don't know, or do know, but intentionally obfuscate.

It is possible others see through your ruse (it isn't very complex, and appears consistent in your use, or misuse, of statistics). Personal reflection is your own decision. Constant trolling is also your choice. Others may agree or disagree - that is also their own decision.
If you have extra information I’m happy to read it. I am just providing the comparison of a single data point over multiple years. It’s a solid statistical technique that is also simple enough for this audience.

You’ve used a lot of words to provide a personal attack when you could’ve been using them to refute a single f**king thing I’ve said. What other financial data is publicly available that you think is relevant? I am eager to understand what’s going on at the club that isn’t the opinion of some angry nuffies stirring each other up.

What have you got to add beside more amateur psychoanalysis?

oldmancraigy

Coach
If you have extra information I’m happy to read it. I am just providing the comparison of a single data point over multiple years. It’s a solid statistical technique that is also simple enough for this audience.

You’ve used a lot of words to provide a personal attack when you could’ve been using them to refute a single f**king thing I’ve said. What other financial data is publicly available that you think is relevant? I am eager to understand what’s going on at the club that isn’t the opinion of some angry nuffies stirring each other up.

What have you got to add beside more amateur psychoanalysis?

So you're not an accountant or experienced in reading financial reports.

I've given you a tiny insight previously. Go find it. Sorry you take it as a personal attack. That seems odd? It is feedback from me personally as to how you come across.

To be honest I wish you would take it on and share insights, rather than making assertions/ stirring up attacks on others in areas you don't appear qualified to speak on.

Again, I am not attacking you personally. I think there are some things you say that make these forums a better place. Sadly, in my opinion, the bulk of what you have said in recent years is trolling in that you aren't attempting honest discourse.

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
Pou is very rational and makes sense most of the time, but the fact that he is 100% contrary on every single topic proves he is a troll.....which is a shame, cause he seems very knowledgeable, but you just can't differentiate between when he's being sincere, or trolling, therefore dismissing everything he says.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So you're not an accountant or experienced in reading financial reports.
I am a very experienced accountant. But I only got to be this good by learning, Shaolin style, from superior accountants. So if you have something to move the conversation forward more substantial than a "tiny insight", we are happy to hear it. I understand you think "Football related expenses" is either a meaningless item in the PLC's annual report, or they need to spend more and it's somehow the football club's fault. If it's not the football club's fault then it hardly refutes my point about resources. It's faceless PLC members holding the club back (as usual), not one of the high profile scapegoats merkins are trying to pin it on.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pou is very rational and makes sense most of the time, but the fact that he is 100% contrary on every single topic proves he is a troll.....which is a shame, cause he seems very knowledgeable, but you just can't differentiate between when he's being sincere, or trolling, therefore dismissing everything he says.
I agree with quite a few merkins, on most things relating to our club. There's still almost 50% of merkins on here who want Brad Arthur as coach ffs

Stevie

Bench
I have a high profile figure that wants to ost you guys a message. Small video. How can I post it? Or can I message someone with it?

Wally21

Bench
I agree with quite a few merkins, on most things relating to our club. There's still almost 50% of merkins on here who want Brad Arthur as coach ffs
An accountant you say? Or are you a politician? Or perhaps a lobbyist? Because the way you interpret data is so creative, you could be either of those.
Most likely a bush lawyer or an artist.

Parra Pride

Coach
So your telling me that a franchise that dominated the 1980s won numerous championships & the owners actually still demand continuous success 35-40 years later.

By ruthlessly sacking its coach despite making the playoffs.
Lakers sacked Vogel a year after winning a championship for shit results, I wish we had that kind of mentality.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
An accountant you say? Or are you a politician? Or perhaps a lobbyist? Because the way you interpret data is so creative, you could be either of those.
Most likely a bush lawyer or an artist.
Just insightful mate. Also rational enough to be able to try to understand why decision makers make the decisions they make, rather than defaulting to calling them incompetent or evil when I disagree or don't understand. As an example, I didn't vote for Albanese. I think he's a dickhead and another kind of populist. But you won't see me throw him under the bus for what's going wrong with Australia at the moment. Being the PM of this country (and most if not all of the others) is a difficult, thankless job and easy to blame when things happen outside of their control. Likewise with whoever's running the Eels, from Brad Arthur all the way up. They have restrictions and competing problems we aren't even aware of. You can guarantee our short term happiness as fans isn't at the top of their list of priorities.