What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
Absolutely love King Gutho and all he’s done for the club. It’s been a while since I’ve enjoyed watching someone week in, week out play for us like I have done with him.

BUT …. God damn I’m loving what JR is doing. None of these calls are the easy calls to make. But they’re the right calls. The tough calls. The calls that tell players, shape up or fk off. If you don’t want to be here, you’re not welcome and you’re going to have to work to keep your place.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
This feels like déjà vu with Gutherson and his management. There's no doubt he's one of our all-time greats, but he repeatedly lets his agent drag things out in the media, and it’s honestly lacking in class. Meanwhile, over at a well-managed club, a former Clive Churchill Medal winner is negotiating with the Storm quietly and without all the media drama.

The downside for Gutherson and his slimy agent is that we now have the upper hand.

I wouldn’t consider an extension or any negotiations until mid-next year, but he’ll likely push for it now, and a desperate club will snap him up. With the possibility of him losing the captaincy, I doubt he’ll even start preseason training with us. By 2025, he’ll be gone. Thanks for the memories, Gutherson, and good luck.

Storm doesn't generate clicks like Eels do, that's all that concerns these bottom feeder journos

Eelogical

Referee
Yes.
Huge risks.
We managed to avoid the wooden spoon in the final round with the long term strategy that had been put in place around Gutho and RCG being paid almost $2m.

I wonder if the risk of keeping them outweighs the risk of changing direction?
At least we won't die wondering. After all these years I'm happy to go down the JR rabbit hole, figuratively speaking.

Absolutely love King Gutho and all he’s done for the club. It’s been a while since I’ve enjoyed watching someone week in, week out play for us like I have done with him.

BUT …. God damn I’m loving what JR is doing. None of these calls are the easy calls to make. But they’re the right calls. The tough calls. The calls that tell players, shape up or fk off. If you don’t want to be here, you’re not welcome and you’re going to have to work to keep your place.

The test will be who he is able to replace them with, when they can be replaced and on what terms. Making the call takes nerve. It's the next step that determines the merits of the plan. Hopefully we pull out all the stops to get Momo back.

Eelogical

Referee
No doubting Gutho's contributions to the club but time waits for no man. If he is smart he'd see out his career at the Eels then slot into a senior position at our Centre Of Excellence.

If Flanno signs Gutherson for more than 2 years he’s a f**king idiot. I’d take Sloan off them if it was to happen.

Yeh, presumably the market is vaguely efficient. Even if Gutho's form holds up or improves, the odds are that he struggles to play more than half a season as he ages. Any club in the market for his services has to factor that in very seriously.

Latest posts