What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Noise

Coach
We're getting Lomax for well under what Dragons were paying him, so no.

Moses wanted out of the Tigers so I doubt they paid him to leave

I’m certain we would be contributing something to RCG, and will be doing the same for Gutho (and Sivo)

they are on inflated deals vs their value and no club will take them at full freight
Pretty sure Gutho (like Moses with the Tigers) wants out of the Eels now too.

The Colonel

Immortal
Do you think the Dragons are chipping in for Lomax?
Did the Tigers chip in for Moses?
They had already paid him for the part of the year up until he was released. He had agreed to join the Eels the next season and then asked for an early release. He had no contract with the Tigers for the following season as it was withdrawn.

"He will cost the Eels around $250,000 for the remainder of the season"

Lomax contract for the next two years was terminated and they don't have to pay anything. That was the term of the release.

That is not to say that Gutherson will be released without any compensation. Not to say that he won't either. Using RCG as a recent precedent I would say he will be compensated for next year but not for the full difference if any.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
So we say Gutho we want you as our 14 for 2025. He would be a great utility. But if you want to leave that’s fine but we aren’t paying you to do so.
1000%. if he's smart, he'll realise that taking on a reduced workload will prolong his career anyway. One more year at fullback might finish hm.

eels_fan

First Grade
So we say Gutho we want you as our 14 for 2025. He would be a great utility. But if you want to leave that’s fine but we aren’t paying you to do so.
Absolutely we can say that. But if the dragons say we will only offer you a contract for 26/27 on the basis of you coming to us in 25 and we’re willing to pay $600k and the eels have to chip in then it puts Gutho at loggerheads with the club, and do we want to be paying $900k next year for an unmotivated mopey bench utility ?

hindy111

Post Whore
Dragons will offer him a 3 year deal on the basis he will be there from 2025 to 2027 the sticking point will be how much will we chip in for his 950k next year.

The Dragons would want to be covering at least 700k next year for us to release him i would have thought. So we only cover the 250k max on the cap next year. There is no way we should be chipping in 400k next year for him to play for the dragons.

Were already chipping probs around 200-250k for RCG.

They are signing a bunch of old has been lol

hindy111

Post Whore
:rolleyes:

If he gets a three year deal he will still be entitled to the difference between the new deal and the $950,000 he is owed for next year regardless of the details of the release - the club will have to chip in. The same way the club has reportedly chipped in for RCG as well. It may not count on next years cap however if there is space this year if it happens in the next couple of weeks which would be why they are trying to get it done now rather than from Nov 1.

I doubt he is on 950k
800k perhaps

hindy111

Post Whore
Pretty sure Gutho (like Moses with the Tigers) wants out of the Eels now too.

Of we lost Gutho,Sivo,Rcg and don't sign anyone we will be worse off.
But we could frontload guys and go for it in 2026.
Sivo is still I think a top 10 winger. He just scores tries. Safe under bomb. Better then anything we have currently (Lomax not included)

The Colonel

Immortal
Potentially. He could also say that he is happy to stay for next year on his current deal and leave the year after and the club may decide to pay him to leave to make space.

hindy111

Post Whore
Even if he is on something between the two, do we want to be paying the whole lot for next year or part thereof.

If we free up 550- 600k I'd be happy to pay the left overs. If that's 300k so be it.
If his role is a 14 then 600k could be better spent elsewhere then a 25min cameo from bench

Noise

Coach
Absolutely we can say that. But if the dragons say we will only offer you a contract for 26/27 on the basis of you coming to us in 25 and we’re willing to pay $600k and the eels have to chip in then it puts Gutho at loggerheads with the club, and do we want to be paying $900k next year for an unmotivated mopey bench utility ?
If Gutho sooks with us next year then he really f**ks his earning potential for 26/27. Using your figures he is guaranteed on 900k only next year by us. Who kniws what a broken down , mopey fullback would get afterwards? Or he could be guaranteed 180k over 3 years by the dragons. The dragons offer looks pretty decent.

84 Baby

Referee
Only be on next years cap if we don't have any space for this year available IMO. Partly why they are trying to move on Gutho before Nov 1.
I agree with that, that IF we negotiated a payout into it that our best avenue is to use up any dead space this year and to do that would probably require doing so before rollover of seasons
Depends on the terms of the contract and the reasons for the release. Very few if at all any player gets released without being compensated.
It’s highly unlikely either had terms in contract related to this scenario so likely these are negotiated terminations.
Also the club isn’t party to whatever contract they sign with a different club so aren’t required to be aware of how much the new contract value is. How are you going to include the difference if you don’t know what that difference is?
Agreed most player releases probably come with compensation but again that’s a negotiated amount based on the value each party perceives in the release. I would say the value RCG/Gutho have in release extending careers/more money over extended period far outweighs the value to the club to MAYBE bring in similarly valued players/restructuring existing contracts for more cap benefit in later years, especially when that’s unlikely to help in 2025 AND those contracts expire in 2025 anyway.
All that before we even get if there is a payout, how much and on what terms.

Noise

Coach
Potentially. He could also say that he is happy to stay for next year on his current deal and leave the year after and the club may decide to pay him to leave to make space.
I’m all for Gutho leaving whether that’s now or end of next year. The BA disciples need to go. If he leaves now then we need to really bring someone in of equal or better quality for 2025 whether we chip in or not.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Say what ever you what about Gutho, but I doubt he will be unmotivated playing any position, the guy is as competitive as it comes....if anything he would be more motivated to prove some wrong...

Latest posts