What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Probably had a bit to do with it, but we still conceded 16 points against the f**king broncos in the other game where Drown was in the line.
Two of three tries were scored on Moses/Opacic's side.
regardless of who is defending inside him, he shouldn’t be in no man’s land marking no one and missing that many tackles when you get decent initial contact. That’s purely on him, which IMO makes him a reserve grader. Flashy footwork, though rarely used as an attacking advantage, and no idea in defence.
His effective tackle rate and attacking involvement since returning from injury are unacceptable, but I don't have a problem with his performance prior to the injury.

IFR33K

Coach
Talking to people much more experienced in tactics than me, suggest that the real issue is that we play a compressed defence wherever we are on the field.

The compressed defence played in their half works as it makes the opposition have to try and go wide to get distance. Then the tactic is to fan out wider as you move back into your own half, if you continue to play compressed then quick shifts wide can get the defence caught in an overlap problem. Seems to me it’s probably not that simple, but if your defence coach preaches compressed wherever you are, then it makes sense that you can get caught out wide more often than you should.

No doubt there are other opinions, but I tend to trust the coaches that have pointed it out.

Even with manly a man short they still found ways around us. I dare say all teams play with a compressed defense at stages throughout a game, but I’ve never seen one particular edge as fragile as our right edge. Whatever they’re doing isn’t working. Having said that we did compress and defend well with Marata out there.

crocodile

Bench
Amazing that Pou and our fearless leader are the only two people who think Blake’s defence is not a problem, speaks volumes.
i thought it was an adjective
A wig for covering the pubes. Most definitely a noun. If it was a black merkin or an ugly merkin then black and ugly are the adjectives.

Don't you just love these days between games for all this irreverent shit.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This is where we disagree. I think his defensive decision making and hit-and-stick has been shithouse since he got here.
I think it's been good enough. Certainly not the reason we've lost games. For mine, our main problem in defence is lack of inside pressure on playmakers. If they're not forced to play early the defence is forced to make a decision early, and against numbers there is no right decision. You just have to hope the attacker makes a mistake, and this is at least helped by centres and wingers coming out of the line. Your incorrect assumption is that the edge defenders holding their position against an overlap will prevent a try.

Noise

Coach
His effective tackle rate and attacking involvement since returning from injury are unacceptable, but I don't have a problem with his performance prior to the injury.
His effective tackle rate was still shit house last year too. It's beyond shit house now.

ash411

Bench
I heard that BA has signed Beau Scott to a one week Train & Trial contact with express instruction not to target Waqa Blake during tackling practice...

IFR33K

Coach
I think it's been good enough. Certainly not the reason we've lost games. For mine, our main problem in defence is lack of inside pressure on playmakers. If they're not forced to play early the defence is forced to make a decision early, and against numbers there is no right decision. You just have to hope the attacker makes a mistake, and this is at least helped by centres and wingers coming out of the line. Your incorrect assumption is that the edge defenders holding their position against an overlap will prevent a try.

In the games I’ve watched, opposition teams have just done a spread and we’re either short, or have the same dopey merkin rush out of the line each and every time, taking no one. Not only are we remaining compressed but we have a guy, that the coach obviously has faith in, that isn’t capable of carrying out the game plan. Either change the tactics to suit the merkin, or throw someone else in.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Your incorrect assumption is that that is my assumption. I understand that our defensive structure often requires an edge defender to jam in, with the inside defenders required to come across in cover if it goes past that player. My issue with Blake is that he over commits far too often and it’s often the decoy he has committed to it it’s the space between both the block runner and the sweeping player (effectively covering no one). The other issue is that if he somehow manages to make the right decision then his tackling is of such poor quality, it doesn’t really matter anyway that he read the play.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
In the games I’ve watched, opposition teams have just done a spread and we’re either short, or have the same dopey merkin rush out of the line each and every time, taking no one. Not only are we remaining compressed but we have a guy, that the coach obviously has faith in, that isn’t capable of carrying out the game plan. Either change the tactics to suit the merkin, or throw someone else in.
I think it's safe to say that coming out of the line against an overlap is his job. Outside backs do it at every club when faced with an overlap. You should watch this: The key to defending on the edge - TV (nrl.com)

Latest posts